No Dudley for student section after halftime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Dudley for student section after halftime

Any explaination why the band didn't play the Dudley theme for the students to start the 2nd half?
    Heard the sound guy was playing some garbage over the sound system to start it off, but that shouldn't be an excuse. I know it was Chi State, but don't be screwing with the few traditions we actually do have.
    The Sickle: A Shocker's best friend.

I was wondering the same thing. So was @HockeyShock:. And you are right, it was one of the few real traditions we do have!
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
      I was wondering the same thing. So was @HockeyShock:. And you are right, it was one of the few real traditions we do have!
      Agreed!
      It's as if the band was "shut down" ALL of the second half.

Comment

This is so ridiculous. I was irrate when they didnt play it. That is tradition. I dont care who we are playing. We could be up by 65 on a high school team and we still stick with tradition. I just felt like we became a bush league program because of that. I dont know who made the call on that but dont let it happen again!

Comment

I hope that was just a mistake and isn't someone actually trying to do away with the tradition.

About the only other tradition I can think of that we do at every basketball game is sing the alma mater and the team isn't even around when we do that one.

Comment

Oh boy, here we go...
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Apparently the band director was given a strict script of what to play and when, and told to follow it. Wasn't a call made on the band stand, and in fact many of the band members I talked to were pretty irate that they were just standing there for most of the game.

Not sure who it was, but I can tell you it WASN'T a band decision.
              Three things in life are constant- death, taxes, and Creighton losing in the first weekend of the tournament.

AAC or Bust!

Comment

I remember back when we didn't have the whole blasted thing scripted. It used to be if there were no announcements being done, the band was playing. For the past decade or so there has been a lot of recorded music and now video based stuff creeping in, making it more of an NBA arena style. If I want NBA atmosphere, I'll go to an NBA game, thanks. Obviously I'm biased, but part of the college basketball atmosphere is the pep band.

Perhaps we could smuggle in some instruments and revive the renegade pep band like we had that one year so as to have the Low Brass Cheer played.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

WSU has one pf the best damn bands in the nation. Period. This scripted bull**** is starting to pmo
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                  Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

The only time there should be music, other than from the band is when they are doing the video stuff, period!!
                    I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

I know for a fact that everything is scripted almost word for word. If the band didn't play, then they weren't scripted to play.

Comment

Originally posted by IAmWu View Post
                        I know for a fact that everything is scripted almost word for word. If the band didn't play, then they weren't scripted to play.
                        I liked it better when it wasn't scripted. The band used to react to the game and the crowd and it made for a lot better atmosphere. Let's turn the clock back about 10 years and throw out the scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                          WSU has one pf the best damn bands in the nation. Period. This scripted bull**** is starting to pmo
                          The instrumental music program has been on the slow decline as music ed students really need marching band experience.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla View Post
                            The instrumental music program has been on the slow decline as music ed students really need marching band experience.
                            A bit of a tangent, but the dept. should give incentive and credit to members who participate in DCI over the summer. Maybe that would help.

As for the music program, having attended four of their concerts so far this year (2 jazz, 2 wind ensemble) I can say there are some talented musicians there (a very fine rhythm section in the jazz band!). But overall, other than a few individuals, I'm not sure the jazz band today is much better than the HCC jazz band I played in back in '89-'90. At least not as much as you would expect between the two levels. To be fair, we had some talented musicians at HCC then who are playing in various professional capacities today. Don't get me wrong, the bands sound good, just not quite as good as I remember them being in the late 80s.

Back on topic, I agree with those who feel the scripts need to be dumped along with the canned music. I would love it if they could add another 8-10 members for more volume, but that is a money issue.

Comment

All they need to do is open the band back up for alumni. Thats where all the screaming trumpets went.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                              Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Working...
                              X