Dexter Dennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Can you clarify DSB if the same rule applies to former players or those that transfer (ES)? Just curious before I remove the hypocritical nail from your cross.
    Your highness, you can kick rocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

They read them to see expectations of the fan base. I’m not going to drop names, and you can believe me if you want. But I know kids who have had to dwindle down a list of 50+ D1 college offers. They eliminate ones that don’t have their major. They eliminate based on distance from home (some eliminate near, some eliminate far). They eliminate ones where they don’t click to the coaching staff. Sometimes they narrow list and have 5 or 6 quality programs offering them scholarships. How do you differentiate them?

Our board used to be top notch, and many times still is, at recognizing effort. We went to Shocker Basketball games in the 90’s. Most programs don’t do that. Films from the crowd were shared with athletes as we started to rebound in the 2000’s, and continued til COVID. We have more and more posters who seem to take personal vendettas against players. That raises a red flag to athletes and parents.

Speaking of parents, I am not saying they should come here and expect to be bowed down to. And FoTP definitely deserved all he deserved. But let’s not treat all parents that way just because one did. Most of the Shocker parents I have met have been great people, just like their kids. Talk about team shortcomings and opportunities, blow up the coach. All for it.
      I stand by my position that any player, or in your example a potential player, reading fan boards expecting to see something other than what is seen here, needs someone to explain the nature of fan boards. I haven't seen a board that displays only positive comments re: players. If that's gonna be their decision point, I'm comfortable with our chances. More positives/praise than negatives.

I admittedly haven't read all posts on Shockernet.net, but I can't recall the uniform dismantling of any parent except FoTP. If any parent acts like FoTP, then they get what they deserve.

Comment

• I'm not sure we've had issues with parents outside of FoTP. I know there were concerns about Frankamp's dad being over involved as well, but he seemed to not be an issue. I honestly don't know how many players or parents have ever signed up. I believe Matty B posted a few times after he committed. I think it was Braeuer anyway. I know of a women's basketball parent that would at least read the board. She figured out who I was (grew up down the street from them) and would talk to me about things when we saw each other.

No doubt others read at least from time to time. And I don't think we're generally overly critical of most players. Of course, there are frustrations at times and game thread comments I think are generally fair game and in the moment. This board has mostly been supportive of just about every student athlete that has come to Wichita. It's not going to always be rainbows and unicorns as that's not reality and players will have flaws. Hell, right now our best player probably gets the most criticism because expectations are so high and that's not unreasonable considering the player.

Then there's TP. The exception to it all and justly so.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Your highness, you can kick rocks.
          Or in your case throw ‘em

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I'm not sure we've had issues with parents outside of FoTP. I know there were concerns about Frankamp's dad being over involved as well, but he seemed to not be an issue. I honestly don't know how many players or parents have ever signed up. I believe Matty B posted a few times after he committed. I think it was Braeuer anyway. I know of a women's basketball parent that would at least read the board. She figured out who I was (grew up down the street from them) and would talk to me about things when we saw each other.

No doubt others read at least from time to time. And I don't think we're generally overly critical of most players. Of course, there are frustrations at times and game thread comments I think are generally fair game and in the moment. This board has mostly been supportive of just about every student athlete that has come to Wichita. It's not going to always be rainbows and unicorns as that's not reality and players will have flaws. Hell, right now our best player probably gets the most criticism because expectations are so high and that's not unreasonable considering the player.

Then there's TP. The exception to it all and justly so.
            The best parent/poster I ever interacted with was women's basketball player Haleigh Lankster's dad. Very mature and well spoken individual. He would even agree with criticisms of Haleigh's play on occasion. But most parent's will not and should not accept any unwarranted ad hominem or personal attacks on their kids. And fortunately, I don't think we have too much of that around here generally.

Comment

In my post, I specifically call out year 4. Those were his Seniors. And they were good kids. Played hard. And bled black and gold. They just weren’t good at winning college baseball games. That’s why I have, and will continue to, support the program and specifically the athletes.
              They weren't good at winning college baseball games because of the coach, and Wedge turned it around quite quickly. I publicly supported the players. Just not the coach, and called out for him to leave the program on year 4. Even Brent, and Butler had enough of each other to call it quits with each other. I'm glad that Eric Wedge and staff have reached out to those former players, I think we are on the right trajectory right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

I stand by my position that any player, or in your example a potential player, reading fan boards expecting to see something other than what is seen here, needs someone to explain the nature of fan boards. I haven't seen a board that displays only positive comments re: players. If that's gonna be their decision point, I'm comfortable with our chances. More positives/praise than negatives.

I admittedly haven't read all posts on Shockernet.net, but I can't recall the uniform dismantling of any parent except FoTP. If any parent acts like FoTP, then they get what they deserve.
                For a long time, this was the case. But as more and more people call out players by name, talk out specific players, and generally act like KU fans, we have become more like other boards.

My point is we used to be above that. Now we are like many other boards.

Comment

For a long time, this was the case. But as more and more people call out players by name, talk out specific players, and generally act like KU fans, we have become more like other boards.

Well I certainly agree that we all could behave better/more civilized. I wonder sometimes if this is even possible... but, I'll try. (Although I don't think I bash TOO many people/players/parents.)

Comment

Well, your example of my statement, above has nothing to do with my calling out players. I ONLY ever called out Todd Butler. He was a worthless coach then (and paid a lot of money), and he is a worthless coach now. I never said anything negative about the players, because I never understood exactly why he didn't win. It seemed like his recruiting was fine, and we had good players (just see how many of our players from those years made the pros). Butler just had no clue how to mold good players into a "WINNING CULTURE". Wedge started a "winning culture" on Day 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Well, your example of my statement, above has nothing to do with my calling out players. I ONLY ever called out Todd Butler. He was a worthless coach then (and paid a lot of money), and he is a worthless coach now. I never said anything negative about the players, because I never understood exactly why he didn't win. It seemed like his recruiting was fine, and we had good players (just see how many of our players from those years made the pros). Butler just had no clue how to mold good players into a "WINNING CULTURE". Wedge started a "winning culture" on Day 1.
                      DSB and a few others use their straw man argument in order to justify the irrational support of the Butler. They would be better served to simply admit their mistake(s) and move on. They can’t though and then try to change the narrative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

DSB and a few others use their straw man argument in order to justify the irrational support of the Butler. They would be better served to simply admit their mistake(s) and move on. They can’t though and then try to change the narrative.
                        Cool. So go pull it, your highness. Send me a PM with my undying love for fHCTB to remain as our coach post year 4. I’ll buy you a beer for every one.

BUT, you have to buy me a beer for every post that says go support the kids. Show up, let recruits see our support. Help keep money in the program. You know, that will be needed to replace him.

You continually call out Strawman arguments. You are purely a mimic from the ShockerFever mold where you make unfounded accusations and expect people to defend themselves against them without a piece of evidence supporting your side. I don’t have time to waste with you like I did against SF, but you can search and see him posting pictures to defend himself.

It’s ridiculous. And quit complaining about Doc. Just because he knows things you don’t. This isn’t your kingdom.

Comment

• Does anybody remember this alleged Dexter Dennis who's the topic line of this thread? It sounds like he must have been a great defensive player under Butler who couldn't hit triples consistently.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                            Does anybody remember this alleged Dexter Dennis who's the topic line of this thread? It sounds like he must have been a great defensive player under Butler who couldn't hit triples consistently.
                            he must've been a great shortstop.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                              Does anybody remember this alleged Dexter Dennis who's the topic line of this thread? It sounds like he must have been a great defensive player under Butler who couldn't hit triples consistently.
                              And what about his parents!?

Comment

• Why exactly are we rehashing the Butler era?

Comment

Working...
                                X