THANK YOU - WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THANK YOU - WSU

what great hospitality we have experienced here in Wichita. My family enjoyed our brief stay and we were treated well in the CKA.

Thanks to GOSHOX1 for suggesting "Da Cajun Shak". We were going to the pre-unveiling of the plaque at 530, but needed a bit after arrival. We enjoyed one of the sampler platters, and the kids even liked the Gator and Crawfish! Great Place to eat, and friendly service!

Thanks to WUDRWU for the tips and info he shared, it changed a couple aspects of our trip. Our 6 kids will all get WSU Shocker t-shirts for Christmas.

The WS Alumni Association invited the US Alumni to dinner at 530. We were in the back of the practice gym, they had the plaque on display, and a group of the 1970 players were there in addition to some Alumni, your AD, etc. From USU there was the AD, Alumni director and Development Director, as well as 1970's Starting QB, "Touchdown" Tony Adams, the same people you saw on the court at half. I had a large portion of those wearing black and gold approach me, and welcome me to WSU. It was a warm feeling there, some were on the team that year - one in particular (I'm terrible with names) was back-up QB in '70 1st season, and moved to WR for the 2nd, when Freshmen moved up. He gave me details of his time in Logan, I felt his gratitude.
    Your Alumni Director gave us some intro's and a couple of the WSU players said a few words, then Adams did, too. We were given a photo of the plaque, and allowed to take photos of it as well. Overall it was a nice reception. At the end, one of the WSU people said "I see in the Bowl Schedule that next week the Aggies are playing in a bowl. I suggest you adopt their football team and cheer them on!" [Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs Ohio Bobcats - Sat Dec 17, 4:30 CST on ESPN]

The game, I won't hash that here - you have already discussed it well, I may comment here and there about it.

The HALF- I am getting a bit choked up, even this morning at the gesture. I'm an Aggie "convert" - parents are both byu alumni, and nearly went there after JC - but ended up in Logan. I was not quite 6 months old when WSU Football experienced tragedy, but since the BB Game two seasons ago, I've learned some about it. What a terrible situation, my heart goes out to all of you impacted by that tragedy. The script shared just enough info to feel the impact, the MOS was reverent and moving. The first thing I noticed when looking away from center-court was in the student section
    T H A N K Y O U
    then slowly at first, the posters, and suddenly there were a bunch saying "Thank You Utah State". It was something else to see your fans appreciative of my Alma Mater, a proud moment for both Institutes.

The WSU Fans- were very cordial to US. From waiting in the Ticket Office Lobby, walking around the Arena, at the dinner reception and sitting in the stands, we were smiled upon and greeted warmly. During the game, we were trying to raise some of our own noise, and were treated well by those around us. One teen from about 15 rows down yelled to "shut the hell up" and then was reprimanded by the adult next to him.

Again, thanks for welcoming US Aggies. I hope we start a "1970 Memorial Series" at least every few years, to strengthen our ties. This little sub-set of US Fans will be adopting the Shockers this year - maybe not agaist our hometown Panthers of UNI - but for the rest of the season, anyway!

Good Luck going forward.

Originally posted by AGinNEIowa View Post
    what great hospitality we have experienced here in Wichita. My family enjoyed our brief stay and we were treated well in the CKA.

Thanks to GOSHOX1 for suggesting "Da Cajun Shak". We were going to the pre-unveiling of the plaque at 530, but needed a bit after arrival. We enjoyed one of the sampler platters, and the kids even liked the Gator and Crawfish! Great Place to eat, and friendly service!

Thanks to WUDRWU for the tips and info he shared, it changed a couple aspects of our trip. Our 6 kids will all get WSU Shocker t-shirts for Christmas.

The WS Alumni Association invited the US Alumni to dinner at 530. We were in the back of the practice gym, they had the plaque on display, and a group of the 1970 players were there in addition to some Alumni, your AD, etc. From USU there was the AD, Alumni director and Development Director, as well as 1970's Starting QB, "Touchdown" Tony Adams, the same people you saw on the court at half. I had a large portion of those wearing black and gold approach me, and welcome me to WSU. It was a warm feeling there, some were on the team that year - one in particular (I'm terrible with names) was back-up QB in '70 1st season, and moved to WR for the 2nd, when Freshmen moved up. He gave me details of his time in Logan, I felt his gratitude.
    Your Alumni Director gave us some intro's and a couple of the WSU players said a few words, then Adams did, too. We were given a photo of the plaque, and allowed to take photos of it as well. Overall it was a nice reception. At the end, one of the WSU people said "I see in the Bowl Schedule that next week the Aggies are playing in a bowl. I suggest you adopt their football team and cheer them on!" [Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs Ohio Bobcats - Sat Dec 17, 4:30 CST on ESPN]

The game, I won't hash that here - you have already discussed it well, I may comment here and there about it.

The HALF- I am getting a bit choked up, even this morning at the gesture. I'm an Aggie "convert" - parents are both byu alumni, and nearly went there after JC - but ended up in Logan. I was not quite 6 months old when WSU Football experienced tragedy, but since the BB Game two seasons ago, I've learned some about it. What a terrible situation, my heart goes out to all of you impacted by that tragedy. The script shared just enough info to feel the impact, the MOS was reverent and moving. The first thing I noticed when looking away from center-court was in the student section
    T H A N K Y O U
    then slowly at first, the posters, and suddenly there were a bunch saying "Thank You Utah State". It was something else to see your fans appreciative of my Alma Mater, a proud moment for both Institutes.

The WSU Fans- were very cordial to US. From waiting in the Ticket Office Lobby, walking around the Arena, at the dinner reception and sitting in the stands, we were smiled upon and greeted warmly. During the game, we were trying to raise some of our own noise, and were treated well by those around us. One teen from about 15 rows down yelled to "shut the hell up" and then was reprimanded by the adult next to him.

Again, thanks for welcoming US Aggies. I hope we start a "1970 Memorial Series" at least every few years, to strengthen our ties. This little sub-set of US Fans will be adopting the Shockers this year - maybe not agaist our hometown Panthers of UNI - but for the rest of the season, anyway!

Good Luck going forward.
    I am glad you were treated well. I have alot of respect for Utah St and hope we can play more in the future. These programs are forever intertwined. I wasn't alive during the crash, but my father was and was affected by it. I have learned alot over the last couple of years and Utah St definately deserved that "Thank You" they received last night. It was well delivered.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

The 15 year old was put in his place by the wife of one the football players introduced at halftime. I think the 15 year old realized he wasn't going to get any support and he left the game early with his tail placed firmly between his legs. I would have been more embarrassed, but the shocker fans really let him have it.

Comment

My middle school teacher from about 7 or 8 years ago was actually in the plane crash and survived. He was one of my favorite teachers, and talking to him about it is about the time I truly learned about whole ordeal. He was an assistant coach at the time of the crash. I think it is so cool how Utah State has been so compassionate through the whole thing, and they deserved the half-time gesture greatly. It was sooooo cool to see all of the "Thank you Utah State" signs popping up all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
          My middle school teacher from about 7 or 8 years ago was actually in the plane crash and survived. He was one of my favorite teachers, and talking to him about it is about the time I truly learned about whole ordeal. He was an assistant coach at the time of the crash. I think it is so cool how Utah State has been so compassionate through the whole thing, and they deserved the half-time gesture greatly. It was sooooo cool to see all of the "Thank you Utah State" signs popping up all over the place.
          Are you talking about Randy Jackson? If so, I think that he was a starting RB. He was very good and the injury slowed him down but I think he played for a year or at least was drafted by Buffalo after he recovered.

Comment

Jackson was a very good back. Played behind OJ Simpson with the Bills for several seasons.

Comment

"Thanks to GOSHOX1 for suggesting "Da Cajun Shak". We were going to the pre-unveiling of the plaque at 530, but needed a bit after arrival. We enjoyed one of the sampler platters, and the kids even liked the Gator and Crawfish! Great Place to eat, and friendly service!"

You are welcome and I am glad you and your family enjoyed your time here. Da Cajun Shak is really good hu!!
              I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Are you talking about Randy Jackson? If so, I think that he was a starting RB. He was very good and the injury slowed him down but I think he played for a year or at least was drafted by Buffalo after he recovered.
                No, I said he was an assistant coach I believe. I know he wasn't a player at the time of the crash. His name is John Hoheisel. I think that's how you spell his last name...

Comment

Long time ago, but I thought he was a player at the time of the crash, maybe not. There were several of those boys, from around Andale/Garden Plain that played football at WSU, and a son of one of them recently at K-State.

Comment

nm
                    Last edited by WstateU; December 11, 2011, 04:19 PM.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                    X