Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wichita State out rebounded opponents every game this year. Even in the 2 losses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State out rebounded opponents every game this year. Even in the 2 losses.

Wichita State out rebounded opponents every game this year. Even in the 2 losses.

CSU +14
    CU +11
    BAMA +4
    Temple +1
    UAB +11
    CS-Full +9
    UNLV +3
    Tulsa +6
    Total +59
    Out rebounding our opponents by 59 on the year is insane.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

It is especially impressive because we have played some very good rebounding teams. I believe every team on that list is averaging a positive rebound margin for the season.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
      It is especially impressive because we have played some very good rebounding teams. I believe every team on that list is averaging a positive rebound margin for the season.
      The most impressive one I think would be Alabama. They're such a physical and athletic team. It would be interesting to do a comparison of each opponents overall rebounding +/- to compare our outings against their outings. I bet you're right TMH.

I did a quick look at our Turnover's and surprising, only one game on the year did we have more turnovers than the other team. I guess from my view I would have guessed us to have lost the turnover battle with teams this year. But then again there is always the other side to the story, that we're such a good defensive team, that we just have a great ability to get steals, so it could just be one of those stats that is kind of skewed a bit, and we are not that good on ball handling efficiency. But then again, that would be something to look at. Which teams had the better assist/turnover ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post

I'm not sure why that is so insane? That 59 means they are outrebounding their opponents +6.4 rebounds per game. Last year WSU outrebounded their opponents by +8.4 rebounds per game.

Comment

If we would have shot better from the line in those 2 loses, Alabama and Temple would have had less rebounds, meaning a bigger rebound margin.

Basically, missing a free throw gives the other team a free rebound.

Comment

Its all Garretts fault.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
              If we would have shot better from the line in those 2 loses, Alabama and Temple would have had less rebounds, meaning a bigger rebound margin.

Basically, missing a free throw gives the other team a free rebound.

Yes, but statistically WSU's opponents have been equally poor at the FT line resulting in just as many freebie rebounds for us so it's just a wash.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                I'm not sure why that is so insane? That 59 means they are outrebounding their opponents +6.4 rebounds per game. Last year WSU outrebounded their opponents by +8.4 rebounds per game.
                Because we have 2 losses in 8 games, and still out rebounded those opponents.

Comment

CSU +14
                  CU +11
                  BAMA +4
                  Temple +1
                  UAB +11
                  CS-Full +9
                  UNLV +3
                  Tulsa +6
                  Total +59
                  WSU has been a really good rebounding team since Mark became coach.

I mentioned something about this on another thread so I am starting to do some research.

So far this season we've outrebounded the other team in every game and are 6-2. Most teams have to foul us late in the game in an attempt to comeback.

Free throw attempts so far are WSU-168 OPP 171.

Last season we outrebounded the other team 37.5-29.1. FTA: WSU-700 OPP-703 Record 29-8

2009-10 34.5-29.6 FTA: WSU-704 OPP-729 Record 25-10

2008-09 33.9-29.1 FTA: WSU-595 OPP-664 Record 17-17

2004-05 36.2-29.6 FTA: WSU-743 OPP-653 Record 22-10 Coach Mark Turgeon

I wonder if Coach Marshall's teams at Winthrop shot fewer foul shots as a rule.

Something is amiss here.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                    Its all Garretts fault.
                    I guess that's fair to say since he's our leading rebounder :D
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Last years team was top 10 in the country in rebounding margin IIR. We lost our starting center, both our PFs and our starting SF. That usually doesn't lead to a positive rebounding team. Also, GS was not a good rebounder prior to this year considering height, position, and minutes.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Because we have 2 losses in 8 games, and still out rebounded those opponents.
                        And last year wsu had had 8 losses while out rebounding their opponents by even more. I personally think last year team was a better rebounding team than this year to at least this point. At time this team seems to struggle to come away with balls that they had their hands on but somehow get ripped away. But maybe that will change once we get into valley play and wsu is the bigger team.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          WSU has been a really good rebounding team since Mark became coach.

I mentioned something about this on another thread so I am starting to do some research.

So far this season we've outrebounded the other team in every game and are 6-2. Most teams have to foul us late in the game in an attempt to comeback.

Free throw attempts so far are WSU-168 OPP 171.

Last season we outrebounded the other team 37.5-29.1. FTA: WSU-700 OPP-703 Record 29-8

2009-10 34.5-29.6 FTA: WSU-704 OPP-729 Record 25-10

2008-09 33.9-29.1 FTA: WSU-595 OPP-664 Record 17-17

2004-05 36.2-29.6 FTA: WSU-743 OPP-653 Record 22-10 Coach Mark Turgeon

I wonder if Coach Marshall's teams at Winthrop shot fewer foul shots as a rule.

Something is amiss here.
                          Hannah started two years at the point and did not drive the lane. Ragland has started 1.5 years at the point and did not drive the lane much last year. Murry is a three year starter that did not drive the paint much until this year. Hatch, as a two year starter didn't drive the lane much. Kyles stays away from contact. Hawkins was the starter before Hatch and he also didn't get to the line much. HCGMs first year had Cous at the 3 and he DID drive the paint. shockers shot more FTs than their opponents.

Basically what I'm saying is that up until the last 3 games we have not had consistent dribble-drive penetration from our guards since this years seniors arrived as freshman. I think it has more to do with their personallity than HCGMs coaching philosophy. I think our FT attempts will go up the more TM drives the lane and the more the Beast gets the ball in the paint. Both of them can create contact and finish.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            Hannah started two years at the point and did not drive the lane. Ragland has started 1.5 years at the point and did not drive the lane much last year. Murry is a three year starter that did not drive the paint much until this year. Hatch, as a two year starter didn't drive the lane much. Kyles stays away from contact. Hawkins was the starter before Hatch and he also didn't get to the line much. HCGMs first year had Cous at the 3 and he DID drive the paint. shockers shot more FTs than their opponents.

Basically what I'm saying is that up until the last 3 games we have not had consistent dribble-drive penetration from our guards since this years seniors arrived as freshman. I think it has more to do with their personallity than HCGMs coaching philosophy. I think our FT attempts will go up the more TM drives the lane and the more the Beast gets the ball in the paint. Both of them can create contact and finish.
                            This

Comment

And last year wsu had had 8 losses while out rebounding their opponents by even more. I personally think last year team was a better rebounding team than this year to at least this point. At time this team seems to struggle to come away with balls that they had their hands on but somehow get ripped away. But maybe that will change once we get into valley play and wsu is the bigger team.
                              After losing all the big guys that we did, I fully expected our rebounding to be down this year but that we would make it up in other areas.

This is actually very good news. I think that the main reason we have done so well rebounding is that GS has really improved his rebounding. The addition of Carl Hall and the improvement of EO hasn't hurt either.

Comment

Working...
                              X