Clear All

• Wichita State at Cincinnati Pre-Game Discussion

Description: WICHITA STATE AT CINCINNATI
    When: FEB 23 (SUN) 12:00 P.M
    Where: CINCINNATI, OHIO FIFTH THIRD ARENA
    Radio: KEYN 103.7 FM https://keyn.radio.com/
    TV: ESPN

Summary:
    In the previous game this season, the Shockers lost 79 to 80. Cincinnati is currently 17-9 overall, 10-4 AAC (2nd). National rankings include NET #56 with a Q1/Q2 record of 9-5. Their best win is against NET #26 vs Houston by 2 points on February 1st. After a poor start in non-conference games (7-5), Cincinnati has recovered somewhat and find themselves in most At-Large Brackets for the upcoming NCAA tournament as an 11-seed. Guards Jarron Cumberland and Keith Williams lead the team in scoring with 15.2 and 12.7 point averages per game.

Odd Makers:
    Vegas: Cincy by 3.5
    DRatings: Cincy 60% by 3.4
    ESPN: Cincy 65%
    INCCSTATS: Cincy 60% by 3.0
    KenPom: Cincy 64% by 5.0
    Massey: Cincy 57% by 3.0
    Nolan: Cincy by 1.0
    Sagarin: Cincy by 3.6
    Torvik: Cincy 58% by 2.0
    Wilson: Cincy 61% by 4.0
    Shocks Win by 10+
    13.64%
    Shocks Win by 5+
    27.27%
    Shocks Win by 1+
    15.91%
    Toss Up - Could Go Either Way
    15.91%
    Shocks Lose by 1+
    2.27%
    Shocks Lose by 5+
    15.91%
    Shocks Lose by 10+
    9.09%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by WuShock Reaper; February 22, 2020, 06:43 PM.

Five NCAA tournament bubble teams that need strong finishes to avoid missing field - USA TODAY

By Scott Gleeson
    Posted: Feb 21, 2020, 10:06am est

The race for the back half of NCAA tournament bracket is always tense. A look at five teams who need to start winning to avoid missing the field.

"It's officially crunch time for NCAA tournament bubble teams, with just a few weeks left in the regular season before conference tournaments begin and then Selection Sunday decides a fringe team's fate.

Here's a look at five teams that need to hit the accelerator here in late February if they want to be playing in March Madness. ...

Cincinnati. The Bearcats (17-9, 10-4) are the second-best team in the American Athletic Conference. But that doesn't afford any safety net since the selection committee is looking at the full body of work outside of league play. Cincinnati just suffered a résumé-staining loss at home against AAC bottom-feeder Central Florida. With four games left in the regular season, the Bearcats face tourney teams Wichita State and Houston with hopes of bolstering their credentials enough to offset any blemishes. They only have two Quadrant 1 wins, so adding to that profile category is a must...."

Comment

My 2 cents is that DeX will be the difference this time around against these bulldozers. He had 2 very good defensive performances against Cumberfouled last season, and he's less prone to foul him throughout this game. In the DD interview after the home loss this season, DeX basically took the blame. He said he wasn't defending good at all (I'm sure that late foul still tastes bad to him). I see DD D'ing up this time around. As long as JE plays smart on potential foul drives by their cast of fullbacks, and somebody stays glued to little cousin on the arc, we can build a lead and keep 'em at bay.
      And, oh yeah, grab those dang rebounds fellas.

Comment

Keep Cumberland off the foul line, shoot 34% or better from 3, and have 15 assists and we win. This has become a massive game, but that's why we joined this conference. I haven't wanted a regular season win this badly in 5 years.

Comment

Better be playing in a different gear or this is a loss..
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Sigh!!!!!! A blind man can see this game unfolding. The strategy against the shocks is to keep our good perimeter players from shooting wide open 3 pointers and make them drive to the basket for tougher shots or force them to dump the ball down low to our big men to shoot. (Everybody got the strategy from Temple) Other than JE and MU sometime moments our big men play like crap. Sometime they will double team JE and hope he throws a pass for a breakaway layup for the other team. Sometime they foul MU and hope he miss the free throws.

AM and IPC are a big disappointment this year. One plays soft and the other plays like he is in la la land. I don't know why they hyped these guys as the 'Bear Men'. To me they play like Yogi and Boo bo looking for a picknick basket instead of playing mean and tough in the paint. MU plays ok sometimes but has foul issues like DD had last year. Hope our guys learned something from the last game when we played cincy. And I keep hoping that AM and IPC will actually do something and step up their game to justify why they have scholarships. We need them to play better when they get in there. We need all the players to play angry when they get in.

Go Shocks. "Attitude requires leadership"

Comment

just remember he goes to his right .....
              For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
              - said no one ever...

Comment

Don't worry about the play of the back up centers who play about ten minutes together cause we will dazzle them
                with our little guys. They will probably clamp down on JE. I am doubtful small line up does well against them.
                TE, ES and DD will all have to shoot it well combined with stingy D and holding our own on the boards. Go Shox!

Comment

We gotta hit shots to win this one. Defense alone won’t beat Cincy.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
                    just remember he goes to his right .....
                    And foul him before the shot!

Comment

DD/GS/NF combined shooting % = 33%
                      PBC/AM combined 51% but they are the problem ?

Comment

Have to shoot better than average to win this game, something we haven't done very much this year. We lose by 13.

Comment

Gotta do something to slow down Cumberland gap

Comment

I'm more nervous than a referee callin' a charge on Cumberland. Wait, has that ever even happened?
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Harambe = 61

Simunye = 63

Go Shockers!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X