Wichita State vs South Florida Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Did I just see Echenique shot fake, take the ball to the hoop on the bounce, and pass to Burton for an uncontested dunk? Didn't know that was in the playbook.
    Etch shot fakes A LOT

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      Since no one else will step up on AM's behalf I will as usual. The play ya'll think AM dropped the ball on you need to rewatch.
      The pass was NOT in a good spot AND the defender raked his arm. You can see AM telling the passer to get it higher and out in
      front of him. AM had good minutes again tonight. I thought PBC's were not that great. He gave up an inside bucket to their second
      string center and he failed to block out on a rebound giving them another bucket. I thought for sure GM would pull him after not
      blocking out. Overall, I saw some regression on offensive ball movement but I also saw some good court vision and some good
      assists, as well. Hope JE's foot is okay ! We will have to play much better on offense on Sunday. 20-6 so grats on another
      20 W season.
      Possible the defender had AM's left arm. I couldn't see that. I did see Coach screaming at AM to use both hands, which was the look I had

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Did I just see Echenique shot fake, take the ball to the hoop on the bounce, and pass to Burton for an uncontested dunk? Didn't know that was in the playbook.
        Honestly feel like when utilized, Echenique is the best interior big in this league. Yes including that freshman lottery pick from Memphis. We just don't utilize him enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Possible the defender had AM's left arm. I couldn't see that. I did see Coach screaming at AM to use both hands, which was the look I had
          defender did has his arm, which is why they called the foul. It was a bad pass as well, a little behind him.

Comment

• TE continues to impress me. His shot was a little off yesterday but he continued to D his a## off and took the ball HARD at the rim and got to the line 8 times where he made 7 of the attempts. ​​​​​​

Plus, one of his misses from 3 was when GS (I think) tossed him a hand grenade right before half time and he was forced to chuck one up from 32 feet before the buzzer sounded.

the kid plays hard and wants to be coached. I love it
            Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; February 21, 2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The consistency is a question mark sure. But to say it's looney bin for 5-0? that's a stretch. Unlikely sure but look at each game individually

@Cincy - Just lost to UCF at home ...
              Temple - Temple is all over the damn place and they aren't great on the road. It's at home
              @SMU - They just lost to Tulane
              @Memphis - They are turnover machines .. they own a 40 pt loss to Tulsa and a home loss to USF and Penny seems to have lost the team a bit (along with some key injuries)
              Tulsa - They needed a buzzer beater to beat us at their place

Indivdually, none of those games are not winnable. Win odds per KP

Cincy 40%
              Temple - 82%
              SMU - 50%
              Memphis 50%
              Tulsa - 77%

Win @Cincy and odds of 5-0 get a lot better. To me? 4-1 seems the most likely with a loss @Cincy most likely.
              I would’ve been a lot more pessimistic 3 weeks ago, but some of these other teams may be wearing down while we are just now starting to get a longer bench. Cincy will be the toughest. If we win that one, it could be a big shot in the arm to run the table. The long Temple guards concern me and they always play us tough. I feel fairly confident against Tulsa and Memphis. SMU is a tough one to guess since it’s a much different team from last year and I haven’t seen them play much.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                TE continues to impress me. His shot was a little off yesterday but he continued to D his a## off and took the ball HARD at the rim and got to the line 8 times where he made 7 of the attempts. ​​​​​​

Plus, one of his misses from 3 was when GS (I think) tossed him a hand grenade right before half time and he was forced to chuck one up from 32 feet before the buzzer sounded.

the kid plays hard and wants to be coached. I love it
                Their scouting report seemed to concentrate on Tyson last night and trying to make sure he didn't get good looks at the basket. S. Florida is good on defense.

Comment

• i’m thinking 3-2 or 2-3 on the final stretch. advanced stats are improving but the guys have to finish - especially around the rim. shoot 40% from 2 and 38% or better with the long ball along with free throw shooting like last night and the shox will be tough to beat.

i for one love how jaíme isn’t scared to go up with three dudes on his back.

Comment

• Speaking of advanced metrics. Our Kenpom is at #36. We have by far the worst offense of anyone in the top 36. No one else in the top 36 has an offensive rating lower than 80 and ours is at 121.. This goes to show our great our defense is and if our shots ever start consistently falling, we will be very tough to beat. But after 20+ games I think the Shox are what they are.. A great defensive team who is offensively challenged.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkoShox View Post
                      Speaking of advanced metrics. Our Kenpom is at #36. We have by far the worst offense of anyone in the top 36. No one else in the top 36 has an offensive rating lower than 80 and ours is at 121.. This goes to show our great our defense is and if our shots ever start consistently falling, we will be very tough to beat. But after 20+ games I think the Shox are what they are.. A great defensive team who is offensively challenged.
                      Allow me to rephrase: a great defensive team that will be the crap out of you if our shots ever fall consistently!

Comment

• Note on how HCGM felt about who was going to finish the game:

TW had just entered the game and quickly had a TO which lead to a USF 3pt to tie the game at 45 with 6:29 left.

JE got fouled at 6:09, made both FTs, and JB and ES came in for GS and TW.

That was the last substitution of the game except for when JE hurt his foot/ankle and IPBC replaced him. Otherwise, the five of JE, DD, TE, JB, and ES would all have played the last 6:09.

Not counting the 2 FTs JE made during the "last" substitution, we finished the last 6:09 18-10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The consistency is a question mark sure. But to say it's looney bin for 5-0? that's a stretch. Unlikely sure but look at each game individually

@Cincy - Just lost to UCF at home ...
                          Temple - Temple is all over the damn place and they aren't great on the road. It's at home
                          @SMU - They just lost to Tulane
                          @Memphis - They are turnover machines .. they own a 40 pt loss to Tulsa and a home loss to USF and Penny seems to have lost the team a bit (along with some key injuries)
                          Tulsa - They needed a buzzer beater to beat us at their place

Indivdually, none of those games are not winnable. Win odds per KP

Cincy 40%
                          Temple - 82%
                          SMU - 50%
                          Memphis 50%
                          Tulsa - 77%

Win @Cincy and odds of 5-0 get a lot better. To me? 4-1 seems the most likely with a loss @Cincy most likely.
                          I'd say this is a looney bin post. You picked apart the other teams nicely but what do you think they're saying about us? We aren't exactly lighting things on fire outside of a home game against Tulane.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I'll say this, if we win against Cincy, I feel really good. I feel pretty confident that we will get one of SMU or Memphis and take care of business at home. Unfortunately, losing at Cincy probably puts us under the gun to win out, which we could do, but it's way too close for comfort with this group.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              Note on how HCGM felt about who was going to finish the game:

TW had just entered the game and quickly had a TO which lead to a USF 3pt to tie the game at 45 with 6:29 left.

JE got fouled at 6:09, made both FTs, and JB and ES came in for GS and TW.

That was the last substitution of the game except for when JE hurt his foot/ankle and IPBC replaced him. Otherwise, the five of JE, DD, TE, JB, and ES would all have played the last 6:09.

Not counting the 2 FTs JE made during the "last" substitution, we finished the last 6:09 18-10.

GM did mention in his post-game presser that he was very happy with how the last group performed. I also thought Trey Wade gave a much-needed boost off the bench.

Comment

• Things that make you go hummmm about the USF game:

Fast Break Points: USF 13, WSU 10

Points off TOs: USF 16, WSU 10 (Interesting thing about this is that USF had 15 TOs and WSU had only 11 TOs)

Points in the Paint: USF 28, WSU 20 (Of course, JE and IPBC were busy shooting FTs)

Second Chance Points: USF 14, WSU 5

Of course, WSU beat them at the FT line 21-26 to 9-16.

Comment

Working...
                                X