Tyson Etienne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
    From the reports I've seen, Tyson had no problem with the NBA 3-point line. He was rated as one of the best PG's at the camps at running the pick-n-roll. He was the second-most-efficient PG at getting a "good shot" for either himself or a teammate when he was playing PG.

With the attention he got at the camps, he's going to be on a lot of potential AA lists. Might get some pre-season mention there.

Grant was at 38.4% from 3 last year and 52.3% overall. That means he had an insane % inside the arc. Something you'd expect from a front court guy shooting from close range and dunking..

Here's an interesting lineup

1 - Etienne
    2 - Grant
    3 - Dennis
    4 - Pleasant
    5 - Udeze

First 3 off the bench - Council, Monzy, Pohto
    I will be very surprised if Dennis can keep Ricky from the starting lineup.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
      It will be interesting but I think D will win out all things considered. D as in defense. Sorry for the ambiguity but I only saw it after the initial post.

Comment

• My favorite; Etienne-Dennis-Council-Jackson-Udeze

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
          My favorite; Etienne-Dennis-Council-Jackson-Udeze
          Absolutely. But as some of the newcomers start to get into the swing of things, this could shift.
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• "At the end of the day, it’s great that there were NBA teams that wanted to select me, but personally, I just don’t like how I went out last season,” said Etienne, referring to his 0-for-6 and 1-point performance against Drake in WSU’s NCAA Tournament loss.

That’s not who I am. I want to come back and brush up on my game and do the things I need to do for Coach (Isaac Brown) and the rest of the staff, so I can lead the program the way I want to lead it.”

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
              Ricky is going to have to make a monumental leap in his defensive ability to even be remotely considered as starting over Dexter. He's much more likely to start alongside Dexter than replace him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                My favorite; Etienne-Dennis-Council-Jackson-Udeze
                My only prediction is that this will be only ONE OF MANY combinations of Shocker lineups this year that will play in games. I hope and I think there will be many combinations that play, and more than not, combinations will be to keep guys fresh defensively, and not be overly concerned about fouls (for almost all of our players). Defense will be a main driver of combinations except in certain points of the game (for example before half or the end of the game) situations.

10 guys will play and many combinations will occur with only a select few players like Tyson getting 25+ minutes.

This portion of a basketball article sums up my POV on who plays and when. It totally has to do with analytics, and how all players fit into the "total team picture"

"Pomeroy understands coaches’ greatest fear: that the team will get off to a bad start without its best players in. If that happens, the coach immediately opens himself up to criticism that could have been completely avoided if he’d crafted his starting lineup a more typical way. College basketball is changing quickly, though, with coaches more willing now to put themselves out there if it means capitalizing on a small edge. Alabama coach Nate Oats, in particular, spoke openly last year about how he rarely starts his best five players, looking instead to put players in a position where he can boost overall production."

Gregg Marshall was a "Master" of using analytics, and I think that IB learned from him. It's not always who scores the most. It's often a mixture about who can score and who gives the most effort. How to achieve the best outcome.
                Last edited by Shockm; July 8, 2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                  "At the end of the day, it’s great that there were NBA teams that wanted to select me, but personally, I just don’t like how I went out last season,” said Etienne, referring to his 0-for-6 and 1-point performance against Drake in WSU’s NCAA Tournament loss.

That’s not who I am. I want to come back and brush up on my game and do the things I need to do for Coach (Isaac Brown) and the rest of the staff, so I can lead the program the way I want to lead it.”

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/s...521926656?s=19
                  As someone who did not expect Tyson to return (and that includes all of yesterday) let me say that it seems clear we don't deserve this young man.

I honestly don't know what to say.....who does this? He's not from Wichita, and he damned sure doesn't owe the people and fans here anything.

If he plays one game next season with a single empty seat in CKA, then shame on all of us.

Comment

• I want to say it's been too long since a special season at WSU. This year feels like it could be one, but hate to be so positive. I'm a cautiously optimistic kind of guy. Hope for the best, prepared for the worst.

But damn if we haven't had a lot of positives flowing our way recently.

There is no question that TE isn't coming back to just put in time. And he is FVV level intense. Good to have him on the roster for another year to rub off on the newbies.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                      I want to say it's been too long since a special season at WSU. This year feels like it could be one, but hate to be so positive. I'm a cautiously optimistic kind of guy. Hope for the best, prepared for the worst.

But damn if we haven't had a lot of positives flowing our way recently.

There is no question that TE isn't coming back to just put in time. And he is FVV level intense. Good to have him on the roster for another year to rub off on the newbies.
                      I know last year ended on a rough note, but I consider it a special season. The way I felt about the program in March was insanely different than the way I felt mid November. Years that started like last year have cratered many programs. I was expecting a trainwreck year at that point. It's a testament to guys like Tyson that it happened that way.

Comment

• Not sure where else to put this— Andy Katz has us at No. 20 in his power 36 rankings following the draft deadline.

Check out all the best moments from Baylor knocking off undefeated Gonzaga to win the 2021 national championship and capture its first-ever title.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post
                          Not sure where else to put this— Andy Katz has us at No. 20 in his power 36 rankings following the draft deadline.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...-nba-draft?amp
                          There's no reason we shouldn't be a Top 25 team this year, especially with all of the front court additions we've made.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post
                            Not sure where else to put this— Andy Katz has us at No. 20 in his power 36 rankings following the draft deadline.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...-nba-draft?amp
                            3 AAC in the Top 20 ... Though I do find it funny that the reason Memphis is ranked high according to them and expected to make the tourney instead of the NIT is because Penny didn't go to the NBA. I guess if you look at his track record of making the tourney rather than just the NIT it makes sense..... Oh wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

As someone who did not expect Tyson to return (and that includes all of yesterday) let me say that it seems clear we don't deserve this young man.

I honestly don't know what to say.....who does this? He's not from Wichita, and he damned sure doesn't owe the people and fans here anything.

If he plays one game next season with a single empty seat in CKA, then shame on all of us.
                              Well said, Doc. I am very pleased and excited about Tyson's decision. This is a young man who has the unusual ability at his age to play the long game. You could tell from the very first time he was interviewed as a Shocker that we had something special.

Speaking of fantastic student athletes representing Shocker Nation:

Coach Rainbolt announces his income class of Track and Field Athletes with 9 additions to the women's team and 17 addotions to the women's team. https://goshockers.com/news/2020/9/10/cross-country-shocker-track-and-field-welcomes-26-new-shockers.aspx Impossible to predict how track and field athletes will develop but my pick

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

3 AAC in the Top 20 ... Though I do find it funny that the reason Memphis is ranked high according to them and expected to make the tourney instead of the NIT is because Penny didn't go to the NBA. I guess if you look at his track record of making the tourney rather than just the NIT it makes sense..... Oh wait.
                                Memphis is Kentucky Light. Preseason expectations every year solely due to recruiting stars. It has nothing to do with past success, or lack thereof.

Comment

Working...
                                X