Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Basketball Tournament 2020 (Cotton is back!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    While true .. it's still a no-go for fans most likely. Can't see them taking all those measures then putting thousands of people in the stands.

It might be a monetary benefit for the school i guess (no idea what they would pay) but the economic impact to the city would be minimal and as a fan if I have to watch it on TV then it really doesn't matter where it's played. As long as the Aftershocks get selected.

Comment

I think hotels and restaurants would get a much-needed boost just from having all those players come to town.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        I think hotels and restaurants would get a much-needed boost just from having all those players come to town.
        ~240 people (24 teams probably 10 a team) that will be doing primarily take out for 10 days. So yea some impact .. but minimal IMO. Not 10s of thousands like the original would have brought.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

~240 people (24 teams probably 10 a team) that will be doing primarily take out for 10 days. So yea some impact .. but minimal IMO. Not 10s of thousands like the original would have brought.
          Having Wu center court for ten days on every basketball fans TV in the nation can't be a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Having Wu center court for ten days on every basketball fans TV in the nation can't be a bad thing.
            Agreed. Not saying it's a bad thing. They absolutely should try to get it here. Just the economic impact is minimal IMO.

Comment

They could block off (not sell seats for) all even numbered rows and then sell tickets in pairs with one seat gaps between each pair and require you to buy seats in pairs (e.g. if you need three seats you'd have to buy 4). That'd work pretty easily for TBT.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Doesn't matter. We'll all be dead from Covid by then anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  They could block off (not sell seats for) all even numbered rows and then sell tickets in pairs with one seat gaps between each pair and require you to buy seats in pairs (e.g. if you need three seats you'd have to buy 4). That'd work pretty easily for TBT.
                  They probably could, but they appear to be taking a pretty draconian approach to quarantine and testing to make sure they can at least have the tourney. Like a single player tests positive, and that team is eliminated. I'd be very surprised if they risk it for fans IMO. They likely can get ESPN to cover whatever that potential miss in ticket sales would be since ESPN is hurting for content right now.

Comment

If they do indeed play the games and Wichita is selected as the ONLY host city...wow! Especially for a sports-starved nation right now. Lots of eyeballs (probably way more due to covid) seeing a giant Wu on the tube. Would be great pub and recruiting showcase!
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                      Doesn't matter. We'll all be dead from Covid by then anyway.
                      Signed,
                      Cold
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I’m still wondering how the whole “play in front of no fans” approach is gonna play out. Yes, it’s better than nothing but the fans and atmosphere is part of the package. I just wonder how scrimmagy some of these things are going to look, playing this stuff with nobody around. Again, I’m sure it’ll get people’s attention but does it ever become stale just watching the game with nothing else going on?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Signed,
                          Cold
                          You forgot this

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            I’m still wondering how the whole “play in front of no fans” approach is gonna play out. Yes, it’s better than nothing but the fans and atmosphere is part of the package. I just wonder how scrimmagy some of these things are going to look, playing this stuff with nobody around. Again, I’m sure it’ll get people’s attention but does it ever become stale just watching the game with nothing else going on?
                            I can’t speak for anyone else but I can’t think of anything that happens on a broadcast besides the game that would cause a game to become stale.

The lack of fans would be odd at first but I don't imagine it would diminish my viewing experience from the couch.

Obviously I would miss going to Koch arena, away games, tournaments, etc.

Comment

And what happens to those of us that have already purchased tickets?

Comment

Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
                                And what happens to those of us that have already purchased tickets?
                                All tickets are being refunded in full.

Comment

Working...
                                X