Game Atmosphere @ Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Atmosphere @ Tulsa

I hate saying this, but for a team and school with a vastly inferior fan base and following, they have a vastly superior in game production and game day experience.

They music has gotten better in Koch, but after seeing the effort Tulsa is putting into game day atmosphere, it make WSU look like a mid major.
    The Assman

Help me understand (certainly not trying to pick a fight at all)...what part was better? The kiss cam? Dance cam? Hero recognition? Free throw contest?

Comment

The PA and The MC, mostly. More of like what you would see in an NBA game, vs what WSU puts on.

Promotions are a part of every game, even in the NBA. At least they are TRYING to generate energy instead of suck the life out durning them.

I thought the GIFs were pretty funny after plays/calls, but I could take or leave those.
      The Assman

Comment

Gotcha. From my seat, I couldn’t hear - let alone understand, the MC.

Comment

I’d just like a little more ENERGY in the PA announcer.

Also, hire a hype guy to be on the court and run the promotions with a some pizazz, vs just muddling through them. Like the guy that does the Arch Madness ones.
          The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
            Gotcha. From my seat, I couldn’t hear - let alone understand, the MC.
            I could see how that would’ve happened.

I mean she wasn’t the greatest, but at least they are doing something.
            The Assman

Comment

Least surprising thing ever.

While improved, when you start out at low-major production status, it takes a lot just to get us up to mid major.

A real AD would probably have the same reaction you had but is content with the status quo and his comfortable 6-digit salary.
              Last edited by ShockerFever; February 1, 2020, 09:48 PM.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                I hate saying this, but for a team and school with a vastly inferior fan base and following, they have a vastly superior in game production and game day experience.

They music has gotten better in Koch, but after seeing the effort Tulsa is putting into game day atmosphere, it make WSU look like a mid major.
                I didn't notice anything special. Same promo crap. The atmosphere was better because it was a split crowd. The crowd was battling just like the teams. There was no silence because one side was always cheering.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I didn't notice anything special. Same promo crap. The atmosphere was better because it was a split crowd. The crowd was battling just like the teams. There was no silence because one side was always cheering.
                  The split crowd and smaller arena helped with the crowd noise for sure. It was a great game from that stand point.

However, what am saying is they took the same stuff WSU does and at least try and do it a little more professionally.
                  The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He's talking about in-game production, not atmosphere.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                      Help me understand (certainly not trying to pick a fight at all)...what part was better? The kiss cam? Dance cam? Hero recognition? Free throw contest?
                      Not any better, they just played music louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

The split crowd and smaller arena helped with the crowd noise for sure. It was a great game from that stand point.

However, what am saying is they took the same stuff WSU does and at least try and do it a little more professionally.
                        I'm not sure where I saw the professional part. Most all of the stuff was the exact same promos. They just had some college girl with her hair in a unicorn ponytail doing the announcing for it on the screen like a sideline reporter.

Comment

I thought the game production was much worse than ours for two obvious reasons that would drive Shocker fans up a wall (or at least this one anyway). First their arena has this big beautiful scoreboard over center court, high def, and much larger than ours. But for whatever reason, there were no stats on the board other than time and score. You didn’t who was in the game, how many points they had, or how many fouls they had. I could not believe they could not get that basic information on that monster scoreboard. Second, since you can’t get stats on the board you fall back to your phone to find them. Uhhh, not in that arena. LTE coverage was so poor you couldn’t even get the ESPN app to load half the time to get stats. much better data coverage in CKA.

All in all though, as good a trip as could be had given the outcome of the game. Many Shocker fans in attendance. Biggest crowd Tulsa has had this year by far. Very exciting back and forth game not decided until literally the last second. It felt like an NCAA tournament game. Good time and I highly recommend making it an annual event for Shocker fans.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                            I thought the game production was much worse than ours for two obvious reasons that would drive Shocker fans up a wall (or at least this one anyway). First their arena has this big beautiful scoreboard over center court, high def, and much larger than ours. But for whatever reason, there were no stats on the board other than time and score. You didn’t who was in the game, how many points they had, or how many fouls they had. I could not believe they could not get that basic information on that monster scoreboard. Second, since you can’t get stats on the board you fall back to your phone to find them. Uhhh, not in that arena. LTE coverage was so poor you couldn’t even get the ESPN app to load half the time to get stats. much better data coverage in CKA.

All in all though, as good a trip as could be had given the outcome of the game. Many Shocker fans in attendance. Biggest crowd Tulsa has had this year by far. Very exciting back and forth game not decided until literally the last second. It felt like an NCAA tournament game. Good time and I highly recommend making it an annual event for Shocker fans.
                            The stats were there... Just only on the two end screens for some reason

Also same experience with Verizon LTE. No wifi there either.

Also thank God for Koch arenas design. The tiny ass hallways and lack of exit doors in Tulsa made it horrible to try to get out. We would have all been screwed in case of a fire

Comment

I am VERY MUCH AGAINST having a "hype guy" or some guy constantly yelling at the crowd (MC). I've been to a pro games that had this...HATED IT. JUST SHUT UP. Let the fans cheer. No more stupid promotions (although, I know the Athletic department makes money off of them). JUST PLAY BALL!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X