Great Article on HC Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Article on HC Gregg Marshall

There was a great article by Adam Knapp on HC Gregg Marshall and his very interesting history in, of all places, the December 21, 2007 issue of the Wichita Business Journal.

Among the interesting tidbits:

When he was 24 he interviewed to become a stockbroker with Merrill Lynch and had a great intrerview. However, he bombed on the aptitude test (too honest probably) and they did not hire him.

He then earned a masters degree in sports administration and went to work for a resort in Florida. His job included hiding items for scavenger hunts. He said he was basically a cabana boy. One time he had to dress up in a gorilla costume and whisk away a lady, who was, of course, screaming in fright. At that point, he told himself, "This is not what I want to do."

He had given up his career as an assistant coach at his small alma mater, Randolph-Macon, having run out of patience waiting for an NCAA Division I opportunity.

Unhappy, he landed an assistant coaching job at NAIA Belmont Abbey for the 1987-88 season. (BTW, just days after HCGM returned to coaching the stock market crashed on October's Black Monday).

Marshall did not play D-1 basketball nor was his Dad a coach. He was able to get his foot in the D-1 door by taking an assistant coaching position at College of Charleston, an NAIA program preparing to move to NCAA D-1.

He moved on as an assistant at Marshall for two years before Winthrop hired him as their head coach in 1998 at age 35.

"Gregg is just scratching the surface with recruiting" says former teammate Thad Vermillion, who recently left college coaching. "I don't think you've even begun to see the affect he's going to have on the basketball program"

Re: Great Article on HC Gregg Marshall

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    Marshall did not play D-1 basketball nor was his Dad a coach.
    I did not know that.

Comment

Working...
    X