SLU Message Board: A10 vs MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLU Message Board: A10 vs MVC

So I'm finished with my xmas shopping and just counting the hours until the big, jolly man arrives tomorrow. So to kill the time, I was looking to bring in a topic of discussion.

I was curious if there were still talks about St. Louis Univ. toying with the idea of going to the MVC. I was checking out their message board and came across a more interesting topic: MVC vs A-10. See thread: http://www.billikens.com/forum/index...issouri+valley

Some interesting points posted:

A) A10 RPI. SLU fans acknowledged that the conference RPI strength is a con for a saturated 14 team conference. MVC definitely has the right formula for number of teams right now and I hope we don't look to expand unless we add/drop SLU for maybe Evansville (Drake would be tough since it's a charter member). I think a non-BCS conference having anything more than 10 teams is a shot in the foot--it's stupid! As noted, the weaker teams will drown the conference RPI and it eliminates a true round robin schedule . Plus, the revenue sharing from the conference is significanlty reduced per team in a conference such as the A10. The lower-tier schools in the MVC were significantly able to benefit when we sent 4 schools to the big dance and I think we are starting to see it with the ressurection (sp?) of Drake and better play from Evansville, Ind. State, and Ill. State.

B) A10/MVC Challenge. I think the idea is intriguing, might bring a little East Coast attention on the MVC. I would like to see MVC get in a good annual conference challenge and drop the Bracket Buster Series...this would help the MVC set the foundation for being a more elite "mid-major" conference. But ESPN may not be keen on the idea of loosing the MVC with the Bracket Buster and then pick them up for a lesser conference challenge than the Big Ten/ACC. So a TV contract maybe tough.

C) Valley is currently 4-3 against A10. I haven't kept tabs on this, but one SLU poster pointed this out. Anyone know the games that were played?

A10 is good this year.
    from what i've seen.. I'd say their better.
    veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Rhode Island
      Dayton
      UMASS
      Xavier

all are solid teams with solid wins.
      impressive stuff.

the conference would def. benefit from cutting down to 10.
      veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Xavier beat Creighton

Does anyone know what A-10 rpi would be if they were to take out the results of the bottom four teams? I'm sure they would be ranked 4 or 5.

I would love to see an A-10/MVC challenge.

Comment

Xavier is always good. Maybe we can trade Evansville and Ind. St. for Xavier and SLU or Dayton?

Comment

I did a little calculating and if the A-10 cut their last four teams, their Conference RPI would be 0.5741; good enough for #5 behind the Big East.

Comment

I have always wanted a MVC/A-10 challenge. Or even a MVC/CAA challenge.

Comment

I think the 'valley hasn't beaten anyone' talk kind of gets old. Lets do a hypothetical matchup. There are a ton of ways of doing one these (below is based on record using the entire valley and a repeating pattern for the A-10 teams).

Creighton (9-1) at Rhode Island (11-1)
                Dayton (10-1) at Drake (9-1)
                Illinois State (8-3) at Massachusetts (9-2)
                Duquesne (7-3) at Northern Iowa (8-3)
                Wichita State (7-4) at Charlotte (7-4)
                St. Josephs (5-4) at Bradley (7-5)
                Missouri State (7-5) at Temple (6-5)
                Fordham (5-5) at Evansville (5-5)
                Indiana State (5-5) at George Washington (4-5)
                St. Boneventure (5-7) at SIU (5-5)

The MVC should lose the top two games but the matchups become more Valley friendly as you go down. I would think the end result would be about an even split.

Comment

The MVC wouldn't have to give up playing in Bracket Busters to do this challenge either. They would all just have to drop playing one of the UTAs or UAPBs on their schedules. This still gives them a game and probably makes for a little bit better competition.

I guess I had forgotten who all was in the A 10. It could get them some exposure west of the Mississippi and the MVC some on the East Coast. I wonder if they have talked about it at all?

Comment

The main problem is a TV contract. Yeah, a Creighton vs. Rhode Island or WSU vs. Charlotte would be a good tv game, but Forhdam vs. Evansville?

Comment

Originally posted by RHshoxfan
                      The main problem is a TV contract. Yeah, a Creighton vs. Rhode Island or WSU vs. Charlotte would be a good tv game, but Forhdam vs. Evansville?
                      The Big XII/Pac 10 Challenge featured Iowa State at Oregon State. Every challenge would have less-than-stellar games in it.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Re: SLU Message Board: A10 vs MVC

Originally posted by Denver Shocker
                        C) Valley is currently 4-3 against A10. I haven't kept tabs on this, but one SLU poster pointed this out. Anyone know the games that were played?
                        MVC wins:

Creighton over St. Joseph's
                        UNI over UMass
                        Drake over Duquesne
                        MSU over SLU

MVC losses:

Xavier over Creighton
                        SLU over SIU
                        UNC Charlotte over SIU

Comment

What do you think of this idea DJA?

Comment

I looked at average RPI over the last 6 years for 6 non-BCS conferences.

MVC - 8.33
                            MWC - 8.33
                            CUSA - 9.83 (12.33 after realignment)
                            A10 - 10.17
                            WCC - 11.17
                            WAC - 13 (including a 24 so far this year!)

The A10 is established as 1 of the top 3 non-BCS leagues. The advantages of the A10 over the MWC include East Coast exposure, earlier game times for sports coverage, some emerging inter-conference rivalry and some geographical advantages.

The advantages of the MWC over the A10 include easier marketing as the top 2 non-BCS conferences and the MVC's 10 teams fit better with the MWC's 9 than with the A10's 14.

The details are tough. I wouldn't mind seeing a Valley challenge against either league. It's sort of like talk about expanding or realigning the Valley. It's decent message board fodder and that's about it. If it happens - it happens.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                              I looked at average RPI over the last 6 years for 6 non-BCS conferences.

MVC - 8.33
                              MWC - 8.33
                              CUSA - 9.83 (12.33 after realignment)
                              A10 - 10.17
                              WCC - 11.17
                              WAC - 13 (including a 24 so far this year!)

The A10 is established as 1 of the top 3 non-BCS leagues. The advantages of the A10 over the MWC include East Coast exposure, earlier game times for sports coverage, some emerging inter-conference rivalry and some geographical advantages.

The advantages of the MWC over the A10 include easier marketing as the top 2 non-BCS conferences and the MVC's 10 teams fit better with the MWC's 9 than with the A10's 14.

The details are tough. I wouldn't mind seeing a Valley challenge against either league. It's sort of like talk about expanding or realigning the Valley. It's decent message board fodder and that's about it. If it happens - it happens.
                              I think the biggest advantage they have is simple a sheer number advantage in the number of possible players in their market area (Philly, Wash DC, Baltimore, Boston etc).

That is something that even in the MVC, WSU has a disadvantage.

A few years ago, according to a good source, there were over 100 DI players in the State of Illinois, when Kansas had 5 or 6. That gives Ill State, SIU and Bradley something we can't get, and it is out of our control.

Yes, we are close to Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X