AAC Expansion mentioned by Mike Kennedy on the pregame yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAC Expansion mentioned by Mike Kennedy on the pregame yesterday

During the radio broadcast yesterday with Mike Kennedy the topic of AAC expansion came up. I was part listening and working and figured I could catch the full discussion in the podcast. Unfortunately, no podcast has been posted to the KEYN website.

Anyway, from what I took in, Kennedy was talking with someone associated with Temple and the the original AAC plan was no expansion. However, Boise State may be looking for a new home which may be the AAC. Boise State may pull BYU along with Gonzaga and conference divisions would be made.

Did anyone catch the full discussion about it? Feel free to correct/add anything.

I did a little checking and apparently Craig Thompson (MWC commsioner) has stated that the MWC conference may no longer give Boise State special treatment.

There is a brief discussion of this topic on the Around The America forum on this thread:

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah View Post
      During the radio broadcast yesterday with Mike Kennedy the topic of AAC expansion came up. I was part listening and working and figured I could catch the full discussion in the podcast. Unfortunately, no podcast has been posted to the KEYN website.

Anyway, from what I took in, Kennedy was talking with someone associated with Temple and the the original AAC plan was no expansion. However, Boise State may be looking for a new home which may be the AAC. Boise State may pull BYU along with Gonzaga and conference divisions would be made.

Did anyone catch the full discussion about it? Feel free to correct/add anything.

I did a little checking and apparently Craig Thompson (MWC commsioner) has stated that the MWC conference may no longer give Boise State special treatment.

All podcasts of the games are located here.

Comment

Boise, BYU and Gonzaga doesn't make any sense. They have to get to an even number of football teams to have a championship game. Adding Boise and BYU makes it 13 football members unless they boot someone. Gonzaga doesn't help fix that on the football side.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Boise, BYU and Gonzaga doesn't make any sense. They have to get to an even number of football teams to have a championship game. Adding Boise and BYU makes it 13 football members unless they boot someone. Gonzaga doesn't help fix that on the football side.
          Agreed. You would have an odd # for football and even # for basketball if you added the 3. However, if you were to get those 3 to sign on you could easily find a final program or 2 to even out the conference.

Still sounds a bit crazy tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I don’t know if that’s true. I don’t think it has to be an even number. As long as there are two divisions and each division plays a round robin schedule, the conference satisfies the requirements. Or if there’s not divisions, the top 2 teams play for the championship after a full conference round robin schedule. I don’t see any requirements for an even number.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...-now-able-hold
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

All podcasts of the games are located here.

https://keyn.radio.com/media/podcast...ate-basketball
              Thanks for the link!
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

makes perfect sense to me. getting out in front of the eight ball. the next round of conference realignment is only a few years away based on tv contracts. aac commish may be pricing in the loss of a cincinnati or houston.

Comment

Boise and BYU sound great for football, but would maybe lower the median metrics in MBB, at least as of today.

Have trouble believing Gonzaga to the AAC. What’s the upside for them? They’ve already got the major program in a mid-major conference thing figured out. It’s not problematic for them; their program is firing on all cylinders for the long-term, sure looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                    Boise and BYU sound great for football, but would maybe lower the median metrics in MBB, at least as of today.

Have trouble believing Gonzaga to the AAC. What’s the upside for them? They’ve already got the major program in a mid-major conference thing figured out. It’s not problematic for them; their program is firing on all cylinders for the long-term, sure looks like.
                    Boise is like 110 in NET.. so mid tier AAC but worth it for the football cache. BYU is like 37 in NET. They would be towards the top.

Comment

Agreed. You would have an odd # for football and even # for basketball if you added the 3. However, if you were to get those 3 to sign on you could easily find a final program or 2 to even out the conference.

Still sounds a bit crazy tho.
                      I fully admit that I don't follow football very close, but with UConn leaving, doesn't the AAC have an odd number of football teams left any way. Might be easier to get multiple teams from the west than just trying to add one out there by themselves. Gives a little balance between east, central, and west. Adding the Zags gives another western team for basketball.

Comment

I find it hard to imagine that the east coast teams wanna travel to Idaho

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          I find it hard to imagine that the east coast teams wanna travel to Idaho
                          That depends on how the expansion benefits an American Athletic Conference broadcast package. If cost increases from adding the west coast are offset by a much larger TV deal, it makes perfect sense.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

I don’t know if that’s true. I don’t think it has to be an even number. As long as there are two divisions and each division plays a round robin schedule, the conference satisfies the requirements. Or if there’s not divisions, the top 2 teams play for the championship after a full conference round robin schedule. I don’t see any requirements for an even number.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...-now-able-hold
                            So you'd ask one division to play an extra league game to make it a round robin? Don't see that happening.

Comment

BYU football is independent I believe. So adding Gonz, BYU and BSU would only add 1 football.

Comment

Working...
                              X