No announcement yet.

Question about Shocker Heritige

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It all comes down to revenue. If Ku schedules WSU 1 and 1 instead of 2 and 1, KU loses a huge payday in the home ticket sales . It also runs the risk of of losing to the Shox as well as giving them exposure to the valuble local recruiting markets (KC, Topeka, Mo). Thats what KU means when they say its a no win situation for them.

If they schedule a pud team they recieve a almost guarantee win and the home revenues. If they schedule a national recoginized team they most likely will recieve TV revenue that will compensate them for the home revenue lost if they must play on the road.

KU will get in the NCAA despite RPI, so playing the Shocks for that reason doesnt cut the mustard.

That being said I believe the games we played them in the eighties was to try to overcome the the bad taste left in the KU alums mouth from 66-65.

I dont worry about KU! The next group of games we play them will most likely come after another meeting in the NCAA's with a Shocker win or a state mandate like Iowa.

I think HCGM will get us to the place that if we should meet KU in the tournament we will have a great chance of beating them.

My suggestion is dont argue with KU fans , just laugh at them and say if your so sure come on down to Koch, were waiting!

:goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
      It all comes down to revenue. If Ku schedules WSU 1 and 1 instead of 2 and 1, KU loses a huge payday in the home ticket sales . It also runs the risk of of losing to the Shox as well as giving them exposure to the valuble local recruiting markets (KC, Topeka, Mo). Thats what KU means when they say its a no win situation for them.

If they schedule a pud team they recieve a almost guarantee win and the home revenues. If they schedule a national recoginized team they most likely will recieve TV revenue that will compensate them for the home revenue lost if they must play on the road.

KU will get in the NCAA despite RPI, so playing the Shocks for that reason doesnt cut the mustard.

That being said I believe the games we played them in the eighties was to try to overcome the the bad taste left in the KU alums mouth from 66-65.

I dont worry about KU! The next group of games we play them will most likely come after another meeting in the NCAA's with a Shocker win or a state mandate like Iowa.

I think HCGM will get us to the place that if we should meet KU in the tournament we will have a great chance of beating them.

My suggestion is dont argue with KU fans , just laugh at them and say if your so sure come on down to Koch, were waiting!

The only thing I have to correct here is that Iowa doesn't mandate anything.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The games in the 80s (both football and basketball) came about because the KU AD was Monte Johnson, the former CEO of Bank IV in Wichita. He had been a pretty big supporter of WSU while in Wichita, and saw the value in a series between the schools. I'm sure the chance for revenge had something to do with it as well, but KU fans were pretty nervous and thin skinned during the mid-80s. They were also rans to Missouri and Oklahoma for 8 straight years in basketball...nothing like the past 17 or 18 years under Roy Williams and Bill Self....

And the point about avoiding us in the 60s and early 80s is a good point. It is arguable that KU was the third best team in the state during those years.... The prospect of confirming that on the court was more than they could deal with....

And a minor correction to a previous post. It was 26 years, not 36 between games. 1955 to 1981... The 1955 game was the one that started this whole thing.. KU won by 1 point, and they were a top 5 team... Didn't want to take that chance again....
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock

The games in the 80s (both football and basketball) came about because the KU AD was Monte Johnson, the former CEO of Bank IV in Wichita. He had been a pretty big supporter of WSU while in Wichita, and saw the value in a series between the schools. I'm sure the chance for revenge had something to do with it as well, but KU fans were pretty nervous and thin skinned during the mid-80s. They were also rans to Missouri and Oklahoma for 8 straight years in basketball...nothing like the past 17 or 18 years under Roy Williams and Bill Self....

And the point about avoiding us in the 60s and early 80s is a good point. It is arguable that KU was the third best team in the state during those years.... The prospect of confirming that on the court was more than they could deal with....

And a minor correction to a previous post. It was 26 years, not 36 between games. 1955 to 1981... The 1955 game was the one that started this whole thing.. KU won by 1 point, and they were a top 5 team... Didn't want to take that chance again....

Did Montre Johnson teach at WSU part time, I think I had a accounting class under him(If it was him)
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I believe Monte Johnson served in some capacity as a advisor to WSU Athletics in the late 80's... maybe we should blame him for the 90's.
            :whistle:
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
            X