Jamarius Burton: World-class shooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamarius Burton: World-class shooter

A note on Jamarius Burton's improvement as a shooter ....

Per T-Rank, JB the only player in the NCAA who is shooting better than 45% from midrange and 50% from three (given a minimum of 30 midrange shots and 25 three pointers attempted.)

All that, and he's 56% from the line, which goes to show how much of FT shooting is confidence. He shot 71% from the line last year.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

True, however, when playing against top 100 (venue-adjusted) opponents this season, he is 22.2% from mid-range and 28.6% from 3. He's done a decent amount of damage against bad teams, but against good teams, Stevenson and Etienne have been much better from 3.

burton.jpg
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
      True, however, when playing against top 100 (venue-adjusted) opponents this season, he is 22.2% from mid-range and 28.6% from 3. He's done a decent amount of damage against bad teams, but against good teams, Stevenson and Etienne have been much better from 3.

burton.jpg
      Do you know what this means?!?!?!

It means I've been vastly under-utilizing my kenPom subscription!

Edit: Oh, good, it's Barttorvik. That was a close one.

Comment

Be careful Cdizzle -- you can get lost in these stats!
        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Does that possibly mean that top 100 teams do a better job of using stats as part of their scouting?
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Do you know what this means?!?!?!

It means I've been vastly under-utilizing my kenPom subscription!

Edit: Oh, good, it's Barttorvik. That was a close one.
            Torvik is basically KenPom (in both methodology and aesthetics) with a few tweaks and a lot more customization. And it's free.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Does that possibly mean that top 100 teams do a better job of using stats as part of their scouting?
              Or maybe it means JB has been bailing us out for wins in all these ECU/ORU games that people get into tizzies about. Who cares about shooting well in a blowout?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                They're also just better defensively than the bottom 253. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

They're also just better defensively than the bottom 253. :)
                  How does his usage compare in top 100 vs non top-100? Meaning attempts per game?

Comment

His FT shooting now at .579 ... so it's ticking up. Possibly into +.6 territory in just a match or two?

Comment

I never worried about his free throw shooting long term. It is a matter of confidence for him, and while he may have a bad game (free throwing) here and there, he will always be solid. He has a good medium range stroke, and did last year too during the last half of the season. I'm more unsure of his 3 point shooting stroke over the long haul but he is doing well on that too thus far this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        I never worried about his free throw shooting long term. It is a matter of confidence for him, and while he may have a bad game (free throwing) here and there, he will always be solid. He has a good medium range stroke, and did last year too during the last half of the season. I'm more unsure of his 3 point shooting stroke over the long haul but he is doing well on that too thus far this year.
                        He is picking his spots with the 3-ball, which is smart.

Comment

For the first time I was actually miffed that JB passed up a couple of decent looks from 3 in the 2nd half last night.

Comment

I think the title of this tread may need to be changed to -

Jamarius Burton: World-class Assist Man

Comment

What’s on his license plate?

Comment

Working...
                              X