Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question - Highest ranked opponent to visit Koch Arena?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Highest ranked opponent to visit Koch Arena?

Does anyone have a list of, let's say the top 10 highest, ranked opponents to face the men's basketball team?

I think there there has been some High ranked Cincy teams in there.

Give me about 2 hours and I should be able to get you a list, unless someone beats me to the punch.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

See page 8 at the following link for 10 memorable victories at Koch Arena/Levitt Arena/The Roundhouse:

Of couse, those are only victories. Highest ranked opponents probably dominated by the Valley of Death years in the 1960's.

Comment

There was also Purdue in the Fall of 1987. WSU lost in overtime. Purdue was in the top 5, I think.

Comment

In the late 50's or early 60's I believe the Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek Ohio State team was here (Bobby Knight was also on that team.) In the early 60's Cincy was ranked #1 and played here yearly. I believe both Chicago Loyola and Michigan were ranked #1 when they played here in the 60's. In those years Drake, Bradley, Louisville and Memphis were highly ranked when they came here.

Comment

Originally posted by benishock View Post
            In the late 50's or early 60's I believe the Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek Ohio State team was here (Bobby Knight was also on that team.) In the early 60's Cincy was ranked #1 and played here yearly. I believe both Chicago Loyola and Michigan were ranked #1 when they played here in the 60's. In those years Drake, Bradley, Louisville and Memphis were highly ranked when they came here.
            Indiana State with Larry Bird (ranked 2nd in 1979) and UAB (4th ranked) in the early 80s.

Comment

KU was #18 or something when WSU beat them in the 86-87 season 55-49.

And of course there were the Roy Williams' KU teams that regularly beat the **** out of us. I am sure they were all ranked when visiting us.

I am surprised that there isn't a list of ranked opponents in HLA/Koch Arena in the media guide. I swore there used to be such a list.

UNI was ranked just two years ago when we beat them.

Comment

UNLV is #18 in AP and 20th in the coaches poll.
                In the fast lane

Comment

Alabama in 1990¿
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                    There was also Purdue in the Fall of 1987. WSU lost in overtime. Purdue was in the top 5, I think.
                    I'm fairly certain that Purdue was ranked #1 or #2 at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                      I am surprised that there isn't a list of ranked opponents in HLA/Koch Arena in the media guide. I swore there used to be such a list.
                      I thought there was such a list also but not finding it in this year's online guides and record books.

Comment

USF in '55 or '56. Bill Russell and KC Jones.
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Yea went and looked in the media guide, cause I thought there had been a list like that in the past, couldn't find one.
                          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            I thought there was such a list also but not finding it in this year's online guides and record books.
                            With these athletic and marketing departments, is that really much of a surprise?
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              See page 8 at the following link for 10 memorable victories at Koch Arena/Levitt Arena/The Roundhouse:

Of couse, those are only victories. Highest ranked opponents probably dominated by the Valley of Death years in the 1960's.

Thanks for posting the link, '72'. I had no idea this existed. Having been overseas for nearly 14 of those years, this allowed me to get caught up on some of the many details I missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X