UNLV Scouting Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNLV Scouting Report

UNLV plays 9, though 3 plays are averaging 30+ minutes per game.

6-8 Mike Moser leads the team in RBD - 13.7, Scoring 15.1 ppg.

6-8 Chace Stanback = 14.2 ppg (43% from 3pt)
    6-2 Oscar Bellfield - 13.0 ppg (44% from 3pt
    6-3 Justin Hawkins - 11.0 ppg

UNLV shoots 40% of their shots from 3pt.
    They force their opponents to turnover the ball 16.7 time per game (9.4 stl per game)
    They turnover the ball 14.1 times per game

They shoot FT at 69%

At home they average 12,419 fans per game

Their assist to turnover is 1.4 (WSU is 0.9)

In their win over UNC they shot 41% from 3pt and hit 83% of their FTs. They outrebound UNC both on the offensive and defensive glass. They had 22 assist in their 31 baskets. They did have 2 players foul out.

If anything, the Shox should be more worried about keeping up with UNLV's running game and capitalizing at the rim.

Comment

As I said in another thread, you do not want to get into a running game with UNLV. North Carolina couldn't win a running game with UNLV. On the other hand, I want UNLV to prove they can win a half court game. They struggled in their exhibition against Washburn for this very reason. Don't let them get in transition very much and control the boards and we've got a legit shot in this game. We will need better perimeter shooting than we've gotten recently, though.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Who has Fullerton scout?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
          Who has Fullerton scout?
          I have that one.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

We need Toure, David and Ben to shoot much better than the 6-23 (2-9 on 3 Ptrs) they shot against UAB. Hopefully, getting back into the confines of Koch Arena will help solve those shooting woes.

At least we proved we can be a good FT shooting team against UAB. Hopefully, the 50% FT shooting is in the rear view mirror.

It will be interesting to see how the Shocks handle UNLV's screen and roll & drive and dish offensive attack. I didn't think UNC dealt with that particularly well.

I assume we try to match up the 6'8" 210 lb Moser (a UCLA transfer) with Carl Hall. That should be a rebounding war, although UNLV would seem to have the advantage there in terms of scoring punch. UNLV can bring in 6'8" 245 lb. Quintrell Thomsas (a Kansas transfer) to spell Moser. However, if Carl needs rest or gets into foul trouble then how do we counter? Do we go small or do we see if Jake White and/or James Anacreon can be effective.

Garrett and EO should be able to match up OK with 6'10" 245 lb Brice Massamba and 6'11" 215 lb Carlos Lopez although Lopez might have a quickness advantage.

The 6'8" 215lb Chase Stanback (also a UCLA transfer) is also a tough match up at the 3. My guess is Toure and Ben will have the primary responsibility for Stanback. Otherwise I think we match up ok at the guard position.

Perhaps we mix up our defenses and throw an occasional zone look at UNLV and see how they handle that. The press was pretty effective against UAB's inexperienced guards. Unlikely that it will be nearly as effective against UNLV's group of Senior and Junior guards.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 28, 2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              We need Toure, David and Ben to shoot much better than the 6-23 (2-9 on 3 Ptrs) they shot against UAB. Hopefully, getting back into the confines of Koch Arena will help solve those shooting woes.

At least we proved we can be a good FT shooting team against UAB. Hopefully, the 50% FT shooting is in the rear view mirror.

It will be interesting to see how the Shocks handle UNLV's screen and roll & drive and dish offensive attack. I didn't think UNC dealt with that particularly well.

I assume we try to match up the 6'8" 210 lb Moser (a UCLA transfer) with Carl Hall. That should be a rebounding war, although UNLV would seem to have the advantage there in terms of scoring punch. UNLV can bring in 6'8" 245 lb. Quintrell Thomsas (a Kansas transfer) to spell Moser. However, if Carl needs rest or gets into foul trouble then how do we counter? Do we go small or do we see if Jake White and/or James Anacreon can be effective.

Garrett and EO should be able to match up OK with 6'10" 245 lb Brice Massamba and 6'11" 215 lb Carlos Lopez although Lopez might have a quickness advantage.

The 6'8" 215lb Chase Stanback (also a UCLA transfer) is also a tough match up at the 3. My guess is Toure and Ben will have the primary responsibility for Stanback. Otherwise I think we match up ok at the guard position.

Perhaps we mix up our defenses and throw an occasional zone look at UNLV and see how the handle that. The press was pretty effective against UAB's inexperienced guards. Unlikely that it will be nearly as effective against UNLV's group of Senior and Junior guards.
              Good scout '72! Unfortunately, it scares the bejesus out of me.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shockfather View Post
                If anything, the Shox should be more worried about keeping up with UNLV's running game and capitalizing at the rim.
                Have to chirp in on this if you don't mind. Watch the UNC game again, this UNLV team loves to run. It's actually fun to watch them this year. They love to push, 90 points on UNC, I never would've thought.

Best of luck, and to an injury free game.
                [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ff0000]GO REBELS !![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

In UNLV's 8 games (including the Washburn exhibition) they have played 4 games (Washburn, Nevada, Cal Poly and USC) in which they have averaged 67.5 points and 4 games (Grand Canyon, Canisius, Morgan State and UNC) in which they have averaged 90 points.

They probably simply overwhelmed Grand Canyon, Canisius and Morgan State athletically and skill wise. I'm sure 3G will be comparing what Washburn, Nevada, Cal Poly and USC did vs UNLV compared the up and down game that UNC played. Hopefully, he finds something to apply from those games and it was just not UNLV having bad shooting games.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    In UNLV's 8 games (including the Washburn exhibition) they have played 4 games (Washburn, Nevada, Cal Poly and USC) in which they have averaged 67.5 points and 4 games (Grand Canyon, Canisius, Morgan State and UNC) in which they have averaged 90 points.

They probably simply overwhelmed Grand Canyon, Canisius and Morgan State athletically and skill wise. I'm sure 3G will be comparing what Washburn, Nevada, Cal Poly and USC did vs UNLV compared the up and down game that UNC played. Hopefully, he finds something to apply from those games and it was just not UNLV having bad shooting games.
                    In the game against Grand Canyon, they did not initiate their offense until the 15 seconds left in the shot clock. Also we had only 7 scholarship players (2 starters out PG Anthony Marshall and SF Chace Stanback) available for that game and was our 1st official game with our new system and we won 83-66

The UNR game (who is favored to win the WAC) was a blow out until the last 10 minutes when we allowed them back in it.

Our 1st 5 games, opposing teams have tried to take the air out of the ball and have tried to zone us (which was a huge weakness for us last year). The scores you refer to are rather misleading.

Comment

Interesting that both Moser and Stanback are relative lightweights for 6-8 forwards in big-time programs. Our posters often comment on how skinny some of WSU's recruits are -- most recently Teddy Hawkins, for example -- but the success of Moser and Stanback shows that one doesn't have to be massive to be an effective college forward.

Comment

1. Does Cotton get more time because of his defense?

2. Does wsu play more zone to stop the drive?

3. Is UNLV team a good matchup for stutz or will he be overwhelmed?

Comment

100 tickets left for sunday game

Comment

Working...
                          X