Shox and Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shox and Offense

Comparing this season and last season, everybody wondered why WSU was beatable at home last year. I'm starting to think it was because Marshall let his guys relax a little of defense because he knew on offense, they could hang with all most any team in the nation. I guess as a WSU fan, I was spoiled by Jt Durley, Gabe Blair and Aaron Ellis and Hatch. Heck, I remember hearing KSU fans last year who wanted to switch WSU big men with theirs so they would be better... How long will it be till I hear THAT again?? lol.. Of course KU fans are too arrogant to say such a thing. So far, this year's WSU team has is no doubt aggressive, but their offense is missing in action. I'm amazed that so many seniors can't figure out how to score. Glad they beat UAB, but this years Shocker team sadly reminds me of Ramone Clemente's Senior year. They are going to be aggressive and certainly NOT a team that can be taken lightly, but as far as the offense goes, WSU is no where near what it was last year and has taken a few steps back. This certainly won't stop me from going to games though. Heck, Ramone's Senior year was fun too.

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
    Comparing this season and last season, everybody wondered why WSU was beatable at home last year. I'm starting to think it was because Marshall let his guys relax a little of defense because he knew on offense, they could hang with all most any team in the nation. I guess as a WSU fan, I was spoiled by Jt Durley, Gabe Blair and Aaron Ellis and Hatch. Heck, I remember hearing KSU fans last year who wanted to switch WSU big men with theirs so they would be better... How long will it be till I hear THAT again?? lol.. Of course KU fans are too arrogant to say such a thing. So far, this year's WSU team has is no doubt aggressive, but their offense is missing in action. I'm amazed that so many seniors can't figure out how to score. Glad they beat UAB, but this years Shocker team sadly reminds me of Ramone Clemente's Senior year. They are going to be aggressive and certainly NOT a team that can be taken lightly, but as far as the offense goes, WSU is no where near what it was last year and has taken a few steps back. This certainly won't stop me from going to games though. Heck, Ramone's Senior year was fun too.
    You must have missed the home loss to SIU last year. The offense was awful. It happened a couple of other games too. You have selective memory.

Comment

I think part of the reason our offense has looked so putrid is that we are actually playing quality opponents in the non-con this year. Less UMKCs = less stat padding.

We'll still put up 80+ on Drake and Chicago State. But even last year and the year before- how did our offense typically fair against good teams? How many ppg have we put up against UNI during HCGM's tenure? How about our last two bracketbusters?

The low output is largely a function of our strength of schedule to date. It should improve dramatically after December 10 or so.

Comment

Outside of CSU we have been missing a lot of open shots. I expect that to improve. The only consistent shooter we lost was JT. The others, while capable, were streaky. I would expect our offensive numbers by the end of the season to be very close to those of last year. Remember, we've only played one game in the friendly confines of Koch where familiarity makes players comfortable and baskets bigger.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

According to this sight

The Shox are averaging a little over 1 point less than last year. Last year at this time we had 4 returning starters and were trying to mix in a new point guard. This season we have been playing a 6'4" PF along with the Beast at a spot that scored a lot of points last year.

The guys looked much better last nite and will continue to improve. There is a lot of season left and the Shox will be just fine

Comment

Once guys like Williams find their shots you can go-ahead and add 9-12 points a game.

Comment

Both the last two games at the tourney and the UAB game, I was not happy with our shooting pct. from the field. Also, we were not getting fouled enough or drawing enough fouls untill last night. Furthermore, we finally started making our throws last night at a 76.7 clip which finally reminded me in that dept. of last years squad.

Now here is what will generate more offense. Last night, UAB shot 21.1 from the field and we shot 30 throws versus their 17. Mr. Cotton lead us with 3 steals and Kyles and DW were swarming them like bees to honey. You shant call me honey. ahaha. Also, UAB had only 5 assists and committed 16 turnovers.

Let's face it, the loss of Gabe, Ellis, Hatch, and JT puts us on a learning curve early on. However, I am liking what I see and we have some folk stepping up into filling these slots in solid fashion. Let's hope by Valley Time, we will be finer than a frog-hair. We have some great tests forthcoming to do just that.
              Last edited by forevershockerfan; November 26, 2011, 09:54 AM.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Please, let's not compare UAB to a quality team. Outside of one star player, they're not good. Their poor numbers last night were not all due to Shocker D. For the season, prior to last night, they were .411 FG, .288 3 pt%, .671 FT%, and averaged only 9, that's 9, assists per game (327th among D-I teams). Also, 1-3 Troy beat and scored 71 at UAB. I hope UAB figures it out and maybe when they get another player eligible, they'll help our RPI and not hurt it.

Comment

UAB is not jumping out of the gates as the past 4-5 seasons when they did make several post Season showings at the Dance or the NIT. I think I heard they were adding a 7' player soon. This I do know. Their strength was said to be their inside game. Last night, our D did take them out of their offense. As long as our team is gaining improvement in each game, whether the teams we play are great, or just okay, then hopefully come Valley time, we will not stub out toe as we did in the SIU home game last Season and take care of our business. Yes, we will have to monitor now just how good or bad UAB proves to be.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                  X