Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IBA is Big-Time, A Big Time Waste of Potential.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBA is Big-Time, A Big Time Waste of Potential.

So I admit I griped about this game. I understood the independent promotion, no return game angle. But it was a hassle to buy expensive tickets & seats accessible for my 96 year old grandpa.
    My 1st game at this place was an adventure as my seats were already sold.
    I've been the four events at this great building & everytime I'm ticked off. I had a fight tonight w/ a piece of garbage at the front door who took exception w/ my grandpa's umbrella. I'm quite proud to say I cussed that guy.
    The floor was not centered in the facility. I looked straight down at empty floor. Phone coverage is horrible. Isles were constructed as dead ends. And the. Great crowfs, I was the only person in 2 sections standing for defense,or even cheering. I've never heard coach yelling so much because it was so quiet.
    Please take my complaints for what they're worth as I'm a terrorist who was an accessory to the crime of a 96 year old who carried an umbrella.
    Phi Alpha

Originally posted by Speed View Post
    So I admit I griped about this game. I understood the independent promotion, no return game angle. But it was a hassle to buy expensive tickets & seats accessible for my 96 year old grandpa.
    I've been the four events at this great building & everytime I'm ticked off. I had a fight tonight w/ a piece of garbage at the front door who took exception w/ my grandpa's umbrella. I'm quite proud to say I cussed that guy.
    The floor was not centered in the facility. I looked straight down at empty floor. Phone coverage is horrible. Isles were constructed as dead ends. And the. Great crowfs, I was the only person in 2 sections standing for defense,or even cheering. I've never heard coach yelling so much because it was so quiet.
    Please take my complaints for what they're worth as I'm a terrorist who was an accessory to the crime of a 96 year old who carried an umbrella.
    I don't understand the umbrella problem. I saw a number of people with them and I sat beside a person who bragged that they brought the umbrella because it was going to rain on us as we left and they didn't complain but they were probably only 75-80ish. I'm glad that you are responsible and take your 96 year old grandpa out but I don't know if the arena is a place for that. As for the rest, I think that you probably had a bad attitude when you entered the arena becasue of your past 4 experiences and you need to stay away.

Now that your experience is over, maybe now you can get into the Christmas spirit. It's only 5 weeks away.

Comment

Look, I get it. Nothing in this world can be everything to everyone. I understand security measures are an inconvenience to many, and security people sure do seem to try to go out of their way to be "In Charge". But here is what I got out of last night:

A) Shocker fans will support their team. Period. It has been shown at every pre-season tourney, at many road games, at Greensboro and Washington, DC, and at IBA.
      B) Some fans are old, grumpy and crusty like Krusty. I think many a fan should look in the mirror before posting ANYTHING about Gene being old, set in his ways, and against anything resembling progress towards the 21st Century.
      C) Our Shockers continue to match up well with NCAA Tourney teams. This UAB team is more likely than us to be in the NCAA. They were short handed tonight, and get a 7' and a guard that will make this team complete.
      D) Did that Dumb@$$ really try to dunk over EO? And why did EO not just completely annihilate the kid? Our team continues to be too nice. I want to see more of the foul in PR that Hall made it clear if you bring it to the lane, you're going to pay the price. I want that mean streak to show. I want us to protect the lane. I understand we are not as deep as last year, but we get called for ticky tack fouls as opposing teams drive the lane. I want Kyles, Cotton, Williams out in passing lanes knowing EO, Stutz, Hall, have their back and that guards are going to take pull up jumpers vs. getting and ones.
      E) I got to take my family of 4 to a basketball game. I got to take my boys to one of my favorite places to eat downtown. I didn't have to walk as far for the game at IBA as I do for Koch. We got to sit in more comfortable chairs than we normally do, And I didn't even have to fight with the person next to me for wanting to take up half of my seat. My wife was able to enjoy an adult beverage, and we got to meet some new Shocker fans.
      F) My 2 boys got to see the game from a new perspective, and they LOVED it. We were upper level (first time for any event at IBA I didn't get lower level) and I loved being able to clearly see everything going on. I could easily see both benches, all the players, the entire court, and the Zebras.

The Cons:
      A) Crusty old fan 3 rows behind us. Complained the entire game about everything you can imagine. "My seats at Koch are 4th row" "My back hurts from these chairs" "STUTZ!!" (Always negative, never positive even when he made a great finish) A younger gal turned around to him and said "There are two young boys in front of me, who are enjoying a game. I think you need to relearn a lesson they seem to know which is if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"
      B) Took like 5 mins to get to a rest room from our seat. We went before the game and at halftime and didn't have to worry about it.
      C) The atmosphere isn't the same, but not many places compare to Koch. But even last year, the excitement level inside Henry Levitt/Koch Arena has been dipping. I believe it is partly due to a large portion of our very supportive fan base are getting a few more years on them and simply cannot keep up anymore. This is not a knock on them, but a push for more of the younger generation to be more vocal and pick up the slack.
      D) The pre-intro video with Coach talking to the team, that apparently hadn't been tested as there was a lot of white noise in it as it had to be CRANKED up to hear coach talk. Don't know if that was format issue or what.
      E) There was nothing to do downtown with my boys after the game. No ice cream shop, no burger place, nothing but McDonalds or Spangles. Wish the Old Mill Tasty shop would stay open later on nights where they know youngsters are going to be.

Comment

DSB - they put a five guys across from the QT.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
          DSB - they put a five guys across from the QT.
          Oh, believe me @proshox:, I know. Been to that one twice already. Have met the owners many times, and they consistently put out a GREAT burger. However, they don't serve ice cream, or snack food. It was after 9, and too late for a burger.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed View Post
            So you procrastinated and now complain about it. Just what do you expect?
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I think some just need something to whine about. Nothing is perfect, and never will be.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

But how were the nacho's? Rosewood dislikes stale nacho's. Speaking of Rosewood, where has he been?
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                  Speaking of Rosewood, where has he been?
                  That's a great question
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Look, this was not a home game. The sooner the fine folks of wichita realize this fact, the sooner they will start to appreciate being able to attend a neutral site game so close to their home. Just because the game is played inside the wichita city limits does not afford every regular shocker game attendee the same comforts and conveniences of the games at comfy koch arena. Would it be better if this game were to be played in kansas city? I know a lot of people would take the trek up there and we'd probably not hear any complaints about it. Take it for what it is and enjoy being able to see one extra game in wichita. If you dont like it, don't go.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                      So you procrastinated and now complain about it. Just what do you expect?
                      No I went to an early Thunder game. Our seats were taken. The usher checked the tickets, we did as well. The usher took us to a mgr at the ticket office who just yelled that the problem was impossible. So we just set in the best empty seats we could find.
                      In not old & crusty as I'm in my late 30's, just crusty I guess. I take my grandfather to Royals games, Koch Arena, this is his 50th year as a season ticket holder. He lives at home & drives. The only real problem is the IBA. And it could be just fine. I don't know why so many excuses are made for the place. Just train the chimps that run the place.
                      If you're so paranoid that you're worried about sitting next to an old man with an umbrella on a rainy night, then you're doing something wrong to be so paranoid.
                      Phi Alpha

Comment

Took my wife and son last night and in spite of the game being a yawner we had a good experience. Sat seven rows from the top along the side and was impressed with how good the sight-line was, we could see everything.

My lone issue was that the lot we parked for free at the Tulsa game last year was now $10.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          My lone issue was that the lot we parked for free at the Tulsa game last year was now $10.
                          There are some free lots close to the arena (besides L-Dumont). You just have to know where.

Comment

I know quite a few of the "Chimps" who work there. There are some imperfections for sure. However, a majority of the people who have a bad experience bring a bad attitude with them in the first place. Yah, security loves to have a a fan who expects to be catered to yell and cuss at the beginning of the night. They're doing there job! I got really irate myself because security asked me what was the object in my coat pocket! How dare they ask me to show them my cell phone and can of chew! No, I wasn't upset because my attitude was correct and knew they have protocol to follow. Actually, I had a good short conversation with him to ensure he knew I was a season ticket holder with a good attitude. I suspect the few who are not happy with the IBA game situation have multiple satisfaction issues outside of basketball arena issues. My family had a terrific time, watched our Shox win and will go again the next time! Advice to enjoy the game...check your attitude at the door.
                            When your not practicing, someone somewhere is and when you meet him...he'll beat you.

Comment

Met some friends down town before the game and met other Shocker fans that I don't normally run into before a game at Koch arena. I like being able to go down town and eat somewhere different. I didn't partake of the opportunity to have an adult beverage but there were many that did and to a great extent everyone behaved themselves. I love my seats at CKA but my seats last night afforded me an opportunity to enjoy the game from a different sight line, free throw line about 8 rows up. The seats were more spacious and more comfortable but the wife and I have been to several events and we have always enjoyed everything about it except we can't park at the front door like every other person in Wichita expects to do. Ha Ha...this is my attempt to emulate Kung Wu. I would rate my experience at a 95% approval because it was raining when we left.

Comment

Working...
                              X