Wichita State vs Abilene Christian Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
    The TV announcers said the flop warning was on ACU.
    Each team received a flop warning during the game.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
      Stevenson rocked his head back to simulate that he got hit in the head...hence the flop warning.
      I actually like it that they call that throw the head back to simulate contact move a flop.

Comment

Kind of a ho hum 18 point win. Grant S can get his shot anytime. I’m really impressed with his development in 12 games. He is a good point guard already. We have a team. This could be a very special year.

Comment

Pogo, was that you on the "Kiss Cam"?
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

The flop warning I saw was on ACU - it happened 2 plays before it was called.

Comment

Clearly ACU is deficient in talent, but they were well prepared, very well prepared. They knew they couldn't guard us in the post so they tried to front and dare us to lob then brought help down low because our bigs almost always catch and bring the ball down low. Excellent coaching and whomever said their coach was one to watch, I concur. He also had them well motivated and they played hard the entire game. My only gripe with them was the fouling which I felt like, as shoxlax mentioned, was a bit heavy handed at times.

Kind of felt like we got a good whistle. Not going to sit here and say it made a difference. Clearly we're much better than ACU but 20 seemed about right tonight.

Noah didn't have a good game...he hops too much. Gordon did have a nice game and is getting better. I didn't think it was quite as good as some, but he's growing. Still don't know why they continue to allow Burton to line up off center on his free throws. 20-37 on the year. 2nd most attempts on the team, can't be 54.1%.

Good solid crowd with not a bunch of no shows, especially considering Sunday, 2pm, cold and windy, snow, opponent. Damned good when factoring all that.

Not many road teams travel as well ACU (yes, most were probably local fans for Ricks) but still. I never see opposing "colors" walking the concourse and I saw dozens today. Pretty cool for those kids.

Good post holiday clearing of the baffles.

Our freshmen are really, really good. Thought Coach was a little rough on Tyson for that one fast break turnover (and I know it was somewhat cumulative). I know he's making a point, and that's just one reason why he makes 3.5+ and I don't, but Tyson just missed on a really good pass. Didn't appear to be a mistake born from either lack of effort or thought, just that he barely missed.

Grant and Tyson have serious frazzos. In no way, shape or form are they afraid of the moment. Absolutely love watching those guys play. Grant is a leader. Someone else said our bigs don't kick out enough, and they are correct. Grant was doing his best to address and fix that as well.

The appetizers are over, we should enjoy an amuse-bouche on New Year's Day, then the entrees are served. I hope we have a big appetite.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                Pogo, was that you on the "Kiss Cam"?
                Not that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Clearly ACU is deficient in talent, but they were well prepared, very well prepared. They knew they couldn't guard us in the post so they tried to front and dare us to lob then brought help down low because our bigs almost always catch and bring the ball down low. Excellent coaching and whomever said their coach was one to watch, I concur. He also had them well motivated and they played hard the entire game. My only gripe with them was the fouling which I felt like, as shoxlax mentioned, was a bit heavy handed at times.

Kind of felt like we got a good whistle. Not going to sit here and say it made a difference. Clearly we're much better than ACU but 20 seemed about right tonight.

Noah didn't have a good game...he hops too much. Gordon did have a nice game and is getting better. I didn't think it was quite as good as some, but he's growing. Still don't know why they continue to allow Burton to line up off center on his free throws. 20-37 on the year. 2nd most attempts on the team, can't be 54.1%.

Good solid crowd with not a bunch of no shows, especially considering Sunday, 2pm, cold and windy, snow, opponent. Damned good when factoring all that.

Not many road teams travel as well ACU (yes, most were probably local fans for Ricks) but still. I never see opposing "colors" walking the concourse and I saw dozens today. Pretty cool for those kids.

Good post holiday clearing of the baffles.

Our freshmen are really, really good. Thought Coach was a little rough on Tyson for that one fast break turnover (and I know it was somewhat cumulative). I know he's making a point, and that's just one reason why he makes 3.5+ and I don't, but Tyson just missed on a really good pass. Didn't appear to be a mistake born from either lack of effort or thought, just that he barely missed.

Grant and Tyson have serious frazzos. In no way, shape or form are they afraid of the moment. Absolutely love watching those guys play. Grant is a leader. Someone else said our bigs don't kick out enough, and they are correct. Grant was doing his best to address and fix that as well.

The appetizers are over, we should enjoy an amuse-bouche on New Year's Day, then the entrees are served. I hope we have a big appetite.
                  Tyson had a run of bad plays. I think the pass was just the icing on the cake for HCGM. Tyson makes all the hard stuff look easy and some of the easy stuff hard.

Comment

Watched the replay of the game to see if it looked better on TV, Nope. Still pretty ugly. Lots of passes into the paint that had no chance to succeed and no where to go if they did get caught. lazy telegraphed passes against a team over playing the passing lanes is not the road to success. AM and JE together didn't look horrible live and during the replay they actually were talking trying to keep JE on the quicker of the two they were defending. Don't know how much they work that tandem in practice but I thought it could have possibilities but thats probably why I don't make the 3.5+M as Doc has pointed out as well. The new year starts a new decade and I hope it is as much fun as the last decade. Go Shox

Comment

• Well, pogo, the good news looking forward to this century's Roaring Twenties for the Shocks is that they look more talented and just generally better, at least so far, in 2019-20 than they were in 2009-10 (the first NIT year under 3G).

So if this is the beginning of a new ascent for the coming decade, it's starting from a higher level than WSU's ascent of the past decade -- which could make for quite a ride ahead.

Comment

• Did DG remind anyone else of RKelly as a freshman? All energy, a little rushed, not sure how to help offensively, but bursting with potential and a want to win attitude.

Stevenson looked like a freshman that was thrust into the spotlight too early last year. Gordon looks like a freshman over-shadowed by our young guards. He’s going to make a fine forward as an upper-classman.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          frazzos

Comment

• Quotables: ACU Postgame

https://goshockers.com/news/2019/12/...-postgame.aspx

Head Coach GREGG MARSHALL...

...Opening statement:
                            I knew that it would be a tougher game than than our guys probably thought it would be. Joe does a very good job and I'm very impressed with what the stuff that they run and how his kids compete. So it doesn't surprise me that we were a little sloppy with the basketball. Our mindset wasn't correct. That's my that's my fault for not getting that point across well enough.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 30, 2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Shox fans, say hello to Jamarius Butler.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                Shox fans, say hello to Jamarius Butler.

https://www.reporternews.com/story/s...ay/2771030001/
                                Rob Barker and Fred VanFleet understand

Comment

Working...
                                X