A Different Perspective on Time Outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Different Perspective on Time Outs

I checked the VCU board. Some posters there were complaining that their coach wasn't taking timeouts when he should have. That sounded familiar.

Toward the end of the game, posters there were saying, "isn't this about the time they're [WSU] supposed to be getting tired.

Then something occurred to me. Two coaches who bank on running their opponents into the ground and outlasting them - and both are known for not taking timeouts when fans think they should. Perhaps the idea of not using timeouts is to not give the opponents a breather. Make them use THEIR timeouts to let their players catch their breath.

Running a 9 or 10-man rotation and using a 3-headed monster in the post is going to wear opponents down. Don't give them one extra second of rest. I thought OU looked totally winded - and played like it - late in that game.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Hal Nunnaly.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I found this article old but related:

Comment

We're just now figuring this out? Marshall also likes his guys to play through adversity on their own. Sometimes you lose a battle but win the war. Having the timeouts at the end of the game doesn't hurt either.
        Last edited by Cdizzle; December 24, 2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

In a recent interview, Marshall also noted that he is paranoid about players calling a time out at the end of a game when the team doesn't have one, so that is yet another factor for him in using as few as possible.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

There is so much high-level soccer coaching crossover in Marshall's tactics it's crazy. I gotta think if you go back on that coaching tree far enough there is a crusty old British pro soccer player that decided to start coaching basketball. Successfully too.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Somebody find out if Coach Kresse's grandpa played for Liverpool.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Can we go back to talking about free throws? I'll hang up and listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                  Can we go back to talking about free throws? I'll hang up and listen.
                  Pretty good, S_P, but off topic! Besides, they've hit 18 in each of the last two games, which is nice and consistent. They just had to take 11 more tries to get there against VCU.

Back on topic, kudos to Windiwu for the Nunnally article he located.

And last but not least, merry Christmas to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    There is so much high-level soccer coaching crossover in Marshall's tactics it's crazy. I gotta think if you go back on that coaching tree far enough there is a crusty old British pro soccer player that decided to start coaching basketball. Successfully too.
                    I'm thinking its time to call Bull Sheet on you. Merry Christmas to you, your family and even Dave.

Comment

I am all for HCGM's approach with respect to time outs. It has proven to work pretty damn good. Also, in letting the kids play through some adversity, you teach them to handle close game situations which will only help come late season and tourney time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X