The Official Shocks vs. Temple Game Thread - Puerto Rican Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
    Absolutely not. We need to be in these tournaments. First, it gives the program national exposure. Second, it gives the players an early test. Lastly, it gives the program a huge opportunity to get some high RPI wins they would normally not have a chance at getting due to scheduling difficulties with BCS programs. I'm just sick and tired of the Shox not representin' and wasting huge opportunities.
    Then we agree. The world is again back on its axis.

Comment

Absolutely not. We need to be in these tournaments. First, it gives the program national exposure. Second, it gives the players an early test. Lastly, it gives the program a huge opportunity to get some high RPI wins they would normally not have a chance at getting due to scheduling difficulties with BCS programs. I'm just sick and tired of the Shox not representin' and wasting huge opportunities.
      Disregard my last response to your earlier post. You answered here and now I see where you are coming from. I think we are all suffering from expectation fatigue.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
        You're right @moshock: - Creighton is now ranked 25th according to this afternoon's USA Today/Coaches Poll.
        UNLV is close behind Creighton, getting votes in both polls. They are in 30th place in the coaches poll and 31st in the media. poll.

There is a chance UNLV could be ranked by the time we play them.

BTW- Purdue was at #27 in the coaches poll, I watched the Alabama-Purdue game and thought that Purdue looked worse against them then we did.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Disregard my last response to your earlier post. You answered here and now I see where you are coming from. I think we are all suffering from expectation fatigue.
          Yes we are @Kung Wu: and have been most of the 2000s except '06. I don't know if our expectations are too high (typical fan hopes) or really justified. I do think we are very seldom surprised by a win most thought we wouldn't and more often, disappointed by losses that most thought we could win and were critical games.

@ KC Shox is right on with his post above. In the last 9 years of the Valley, WSU has neither surprised or seldom lived up to expectations in the regular season or MVC Tourney. We haven't pulled an MSU or Drake in the regular season or an Indiana St or Bradley in the tourney. In those 9 years, WSU has finished 1st once and 2nd 4 times, yet never won the tourney and only made the finals once (a year we finished 2nd). 7 times a team has played in the finals that was not a 1st or 2nd place team during the regular season, not the Shocks.

KC also mentioned in a previous post WSU's lack of consistency on an annual basis and I also agree here. The last 7 minutes of regulation in the Temple game is a microcosm of this. Down 8 points with 7 minutes to go, WSU outscored Temple 9 to 1 in two minutes to tie the score (one sees what WSU is capable of doing). Over the next two minutes, we managed to stay tied in spite of 2 TOs, a foul, and a 2-5 from the line (staying on the edge of hope). Again, we come from behind to take a 3 point lead only to find ways to shoot ourselves in the foot, go to overtime and come up short again (expectations washed away).

This doesn't seem to be a HCGM thing either as it went on during Turg's stay as well. I, too, would relish getting pleasantly surprised, but more so, seeing expectations reached more often. Nevertheless, they are, and forever will be, my Shocks!!

:wsu_posters:

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
            BTW- Purdue was at #27 in the coaches poll, I watched the Alabama-Purdue game and thought that Purdue looked worse against them then we did.
            Yah and...?

Purdue also looked great in their win over Temple, a thing we failed to do.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              Yah and...?

Yup. Did we even have a solid game in PR? Here's some numbers for the 3 games: 40% FG, 30% 3pt, 58% FT, 12 assists per game, 14 TO pg, and 19 Fouls pg.

Comment

• So much of our expectations hinged upon an upperclassmen dominated backcourt, always a good/great thing. But.. wha' happened..? Mo St and Creighton are looking nails. Wichita State looks like it's biting it nails.

Please, coach, don't wait too long to get Cotton involved, like last year with Ragland, otherwise they might peak too late again (after the MVC tourney when they've been bounced, and an NCAA invite is out of the question because they showed shaky legs against a "name" team on national television).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Explain to me again what Turgeon's performance with long gone players has anything to do with the present, again?

HC3GM has been rebuilding and once somewhat loaded we lost to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS UConn and beat Virginia last year. This year we beat Colorado and lost to a very good Alabama. That's 2-2 against BCS since Marshall has rebuilt. Falling flat against Temple sucked.

So what? What would you do differently based on the performance against Temple? Whats the conclusion from your own research?
                  So what? Hey Einstein, read my post again maybe three times in your case. The message was that the Shox have not taken advantage of pre-season tournament invites. I don't see where the confusion lies. Regardless who has coached them in the past decade, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that this team continues to lay goose eggs in important early season games and you can now add the Temple game to this trend.

Comment

So what? Hey Einstein, read my post again maybe three times in your case. The message was that the Shox have not taken advantage of pre-season tournament invites. I don't see where the confusion lies. Regardless who has coached them in the past decade, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that this team continues to lay goose eggs in important early season games and you can now add the Temple game to this trend.
                    Insulting each other does not make either argument more valid.

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
                      As much as I agree with KC Shox's recent posts on this thread, your point is so true @vancedave56:. I've always thought there is no place for that among avid fellow fans who enjoy posting/discussing Shocker athletics.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        Yah and...?

I didn't see that game. I have seen Purdue once this year (against Alabama) and they didn't look very good in that game. All of the pundits project Purdue as an ncaa team and they are just a notch below Creighton in the coaches poll.

BTW- Temple is ranked 33 in both polls and Alabama is #13 in both polls. Two big missed opportunities but it is no shame losing to these two teams.

Comment

• This board is such a joy after losing a perceived big game. The reactions are all understandable and consistent with my own frustrations. However, I believe I detect a kinder, gentler KC Shox. Is this possible?

Comment

• Yeah, come on guys. Don't make me put grown men in timeout on a message board. Attack the post, not the poster.
                            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Kai

I did not intend that as a personal attack. On the contrary, I believe KC's omments to be well thought out and thoughtful, more so than in the past. I was merely trying to convey that. Since it wasn't clear I apologize.
                              Last edited by Calshockfan; November 22, 2011, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
                                Your post is ignorant and moronic! Any good lawyer will tell you that destroying credability is a good defense. Plus you smell really bad.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X