Wichita State vs. UT-Martin (Tennessee) Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. UT-Martin (Tennessee) Pre-Game Discussion

Description: WICHITA STATE MEN'S BASKETBALL VS. UT-MARTIN (TENNESSEE)
    When: NOV 16 (SAT) 2:00 P.M.
    Where: WICHITA, KAN., CHARLES KOCH ARENA
    Radio: KEYN 103.7 FM https://keyn.radio.com/
    TV: YURVIEW KS https://www.yurview.com

The UT-Martin Skyhawks were picked fifth (total of 12 teams) in the Ohio Valley Conference predicted order of finish for the 2019-20 season. However, UT-Martin seniors Quintin Dove and Craig Randall II were selected to the league's Preseason All-OVC team. In their only D1 game so far in the early season, they lost to Coach Steve Forbes East Tennessee team 75-92 after having a 3 point lead at the half.

Odd Makers
    Vegas: Winner WSU by 16.5
    DRatings: Winner WSU 99%, by 20.5
    ESPN: Winner WSU 87%, by 12.0
    INCCSTATS: Winner WSU 94%, by 17.0
    KenPom: Winner WSU 93%, by 16.5
    Massey: Winner WSU 94%, by 20.0
    Nolan: Winner WSU by 11.0
    Sagarin: Winner WSU by 13.0
    Torvik: Winner WSU 95%, by 18.1
    Wilson: Winner WSU 96%, by 26.0
    Shocks Win by 10+
    89.47%
    Shocks Win by 5+
    8.77%
    Shocks Win by 1+
    0%
    Toss Up - Could Go Either Way
    1.75%
    Shocks Lose by 1+
    0%
    Shocks Lose by 5+
    0%
    Shocks Lose by 10+
    0%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by WuShock Reaper; November 16, 2019, 11:51 AM. Reason: Added DRatings Prediction Model

Who starts at center?

Comment

Shocks by 2+ , I just keep hoping!
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Who starts at center?
        Udeze
        Livin the dream

Comment

quote: (after having a 3 point lead at the half.)

Bet some of the fans were in meltdown mode at the half. Assuming ET was at home?

Comment

Looking back at the stats from that game, all five starters attempted 3balls in the game. And the bench may not be that long. Two players with 38 and 39 minutes. Another fouled out but still logged 25 min. Two other starters at 32 and 35. Most minutes from the bench: 9, 8, 6, 6 and 4. So as the starters go, they go. Will they wear down?

One guy, Sertovic off the bench seems accurate from 3ball land thru their first 2 games. Don't lose him.

As an aside, they do have a 7 ft 290 -lb center that doesn't appear to have played. Another 6-10 270-lb. And I thought Mitgardt was full of beans. Maybe they're redshirts?

Comment

Fear the Soybeans = 57

= 84

Go Shockers!!!

Comment

I predict Noah Fernandes gets 16 minutes and impresses.

Comment

Win by 20+ for my sanity.

Comment

if i’ve learned anything from 3g’s teams, its to take the under.

Comment

Gregg Marshall Quotables: Pre-UT Martin

COACH GREGG MARSHALL on …

… how the film session after Texas Southern went:
                      "Well, I guess it's not fun when you watch yourself shoot air balls on film. We didn't play well, especially on the offensive end. Texas Southern did a marvelous job of pressuring our young guards and pushing them out. We took some bad shots. We are better shooters than what we shot, obviously. If we aren't, then we're in for a long year."

… if he is impressed with Grant Sherfield's ability to get to the free-throw line:
                      "The way (Texas Southern) was playing us, that's what you had to do. They were taking away passing lanes. They were really pressuring 94 feet. What I told them is if you're trying to run something, and they're dogging you for 94 feet, but you can go around them and play opportunity basketball, then do that."

Dexter Dennis' first couple of games:
                      "He could obviously play in the NBA at some point. He's got some things to improve and refine, but I've said from day one, he's the next NBA guy unless Jaime (Echenique) comes back and is ready to have a big year. Dexter, along with Trey Wade, is playing the best for us right now."

... Doc Rivers' comments praising the Wichita State basketball program:
                      "It means a lot. I was just talking with Grant (Sherfield) about that. I just want him to see the words Doc Rivers is saying about guys that come through here. He kept talking about how they were tough, mentally tough, have some swag and their desire to win. It's really cool to hear him talk about not only Landry (Shamet) on his team, but also Fred (VanVleet) on their opponent, the Raptors."

… his thoughts about the turnover numbers:
                      "We're winning ugly... We're not shooting it very well, but on the defensive end and on the glass, we're doing well. The defense is ahead of the offense, and that happens most seasons. Once we get some confidence and understand what we want to accomplish offensively (we'll be better)."

… teaching the young group confidence:
                      "I don't think confidence is an issue for them. For the sophomores, it's because they have the experience from last year. The confidence is the least of their worries for this new group. They have to understand by watching and learning that now they're playing Division I college basketball, and that's hard. We're going to try to instill confidence in them, but also let them know it's going to be harder now. Five guys can be better than one running an offense that doesn't care who gets the shot, but if we got a good shot as a group."

Noah Fernandes:
                      "He looked better in practice yesterday than he did on Saturday. He was out for two months, and it was apparent he lost one-half to one full step of his quickness, which is one of his best attributes, minus his heart. He's got a tremendous heart and desire and toughness. He didn't look great because of (the loss of quickness). He looked better yesterday, and hopefully he's back up to speed, literally."

Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler's development on defense:
                      "He's coming along. He's not Bill Russell yet, but he's getting better. He's working to wall up, and keep the ball in front. Morris Udeze also helped us out, especially on the offensive glass. Until Jaime (Echenique) gets back, those guys will get the reps for us."

… American Athletic Conference basketball so far:
                      "I haven't watched one second of anyone else in The American thus far. I will try to peek in, while I study UT Martin, on Memphis-Oregon. To me, Houston and Cincinnati plus Memphis are the teams to beat. I don't know too many of those players, but I've seen the headlines and all the hype about them. I think the league is gong to be very, very good, so we'll have to be good and near the top of the conference to get an at-large bid."

Comment

"He's coming along. He's not Bill Russell yet, but he's getting better. He's working to wall up, and keep the ball in front. Morris Udeze also helped us out, especially on the offensive glass. Until Jaime (Echenique) gets back, those guys will get the reps for us."

He's been noticing AM, I guess

Comment

Noah Fernandes:
                          "He looked better in practice yesterday than he did on Saturday. He was out for two months, and it was apparent he lost one-half to one full step of his quickness, which is one of his best attributes

Looking forward top seeing what Noah can do at full speed.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2019, 05:26 PM.

Comment

UT Martin won at Western Illinois 98-91 tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Gregg Marshall Quotables: Pre-UT Martin

COACH GREGG MARSHALL on …

… how the film session after Texas Southern went:
                              "Well, I guess it's not fun when you watch yourself shoot air balls on film. We didn't play well, especially on the offensive end. Texas Southern did a marvelous job of pressuring our young guards and pushing them out. We took some bad shots. We are better shooters than what we shot, obviously. If we aren't, then we're in for a long year."

… if he is impressed with Grant Sherfield's ability to get to the free-throw line:
                              "The way (Texas Southern) was playing us, that's what you had to do. They were taking away passing lanes. They were really pressuring 94 feet. What I told them is if you're trying to run something, and they're dogging you for 94 feet, but you can go around them and play opportunity basketball, then do that."

Dexter Dennis' first couple of games:
                              "He could obviously play in the NBA at some point. He's got some things to improve and refine, but I've said from day one, he's the next NBA guy unless Jaime (Echenique) comes back and is ready to have a big year. Dexter, along with Trey Wade, is playing the best for us right now."

... Doc Rivers' comments praising the Wichita State basketball program:
                              "It means a lot. I was just talking with Grant (Sherfield) about that. I just want him to see the words Doc Rivers is saying about guys that come through here. He kept talking about how they were tough, mentally tough, have some swag and their desire to win. It's really cool to hear him talk about not only Landry (Shamet) on his team, but also Fred (VanVleet) on their opponent, the Raptors."

… his thoughts about the turnover numbers:
                              "We're winning ugly... We're not shooting it very well, but on the defensive end and on the glass, we're doing well. The defense is ahead of the offense, and that happens most seasons. Once we get some confidence and understand what we want to accomplish offensively (we'll be better)."

… teaching the young group confidence:
                              "I don't think confidence is an issue for them. For the sophomores, it's because they have the experience from last year. The confidence is the least of their worries for this new group. They have to understand by watching and learning that now they're playing Division I college basketball, and that's hard. We're going to try to instill confidence in them, but also let them know it's going to be harder now. Five guys can be better than one running an offense that doesn't care who gets the shot, but if we got a good shot as a group."

Noah Fernandes:
                              "He looked better in practice yesterday than he did on Saturday. He was out for two months, and it was apparent he lost one-half to one full step of his quickness, which is one of his best attributes, minus his heart. He's got a tremendous heart and desire and toughness. He didn't look great because of (the loss of quickness). He looked better yesterday, and hopefully he's back up to speed, literally."

… American Athletic Conference basketball so far:
                              "I haven't watched one second of anyone else in The American thus far. I will try to peek in, while I study UT Martin, on Memphis-Oregon. To me, Houston and Cincinnati plus Memphis are the teams to beat. I don't know too many of those players, but I've seen the headlines and all the hype about them. I think the league is gong to be very, very good, so we'll have to be good and near the top of the conference to get an at-large bid."
                              I hope for Noah is was just lack of court time, because I was surprised at his lack of quickness. He definitely bared no resemblance to Mo Cheeks as I had hoped that he would/might.

Comment

Working...
                              X