Reminiscing on the days of yore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
    oh the days of glass rattler.. back when hockey was fun to watch. like it’s a bunch of bitches now. drop the damn gloves every once in a while...please.
    Back when we had NHL players and were winning back-to-back league championships (93-94, 94-95) the games were worth much more than the price of admission. I have a lot of great memories as a kid going to the Wings games but those two Thunder seasons may be the best pro sports this city has ever seen. The Cow Palace was absolutely ELECTRIC!

T

Comment

Cold, did you just declare yourself a relic?
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Hockey tried to get ahead of the PC movement; "We don't want to bring our children to see such violence!!111"

Well... then don't bring them to a hockey game you helicoptering mofo's! How's your kid doing these days btw? Probably burning a couple flags or twitching in a designated SAFE ZONE!! The "hockey reformation" started about 10 years ago...

T

cold... we live in the era of soft children. nothing like giving or taking an ass beating on the ice. i’ve done both.

Comment

I like hockey, but unlike some of you I really don't mind that hockey has less fighting than in the old days. I don't agree with trying to completely remove it as I think it has its place in the game. I like that hockey is a sport where players are allowed to police themselves and fighting is an important part of that.

A fight breaking out over a questionable hit is one thing, guys dropping the gloves just to drop them is another.

To each their own.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

"I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
              I like hockey, but unlike some of you I really don't mind that hockey has less fighting than in the old days. I don't agree with trying to completely remove it as I think it has its place in the game. I like that hockey is a sport where players are allowed to police themselves and fighting is an important part of that.

A fight breaking out over a questionable hit is one thing, guys dropping the gloves just to drop them is another.

To each their own.
              I'm with you. While fighting has its place, if that's all I want to see I'll go to a boxing match or MMA. It's an understatement to say hockey is a physical sport, but to concentrate on that one part of it lessens the value of the sport as a whole.

By the way, I'm a former Thunder season ticket holder from the early to late 2000s. Sat behind the visiting goal in the "Dog Pound" dedicated to defenseman Sean O'Reilly. Our area incessantly heckled the visiting goalie, and there were several close games I'm convinced we got in his head and that's the reason we won. Go Thunder!!
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                Cold, did you just declare yourself a relic?
                I've been announcing my demise for years now. I like the idea of relic status - particularly the definitions that include the word reverence.

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

cold... we live in the era of soft children. nothing like giving or taking an ass beating on the ice. i’ve done both.
                That's the comment of a real man. Absolutely perfect! I do hope you have or are planning on reproducing.

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post

To each their own.
                The self-regulating component of hockey is one of the best stories in all of sports. It's woven much deeper in the fabric of hockey tradition than most people understand. Hockey is a very dangerous sport that requires very dangerous people acting as a constant reminder to those who would consider taking liberties. Many scorers wear scant protective padding. "Superfluous" pugilism can look silly at times but the goons deserve consistent shifts too. Fights don't just happen for no reason. Sometimes a spot on a roster (a job) is attempting to be earned.

I'm fine with fighters being more skilled and perhaps even slightly smaller; Scott Stevens was no giant but he sure knew how to drop 'em. Wake me up when hockey turns back the Libtard clock and I'll get back into the stands.

T

Comment

On occasion, I fondly recollect of the early Shockernet days when we had a forum registry with your user name, real name, hometown, and WSU class date. Then came the “Troubles” after a lengthy, passionate, yet civil, discussion led by Ricky del Rio whereby the board formed into Team A & Team B on the desired fate of Head Coach Randy Smithson. The board really picked up steam and sometime around Coach Randy Smithson’s departure the small town nature of the registry was retired.

Go Shocks!
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                    On occasion, I fondly recollect of the early Shockernet days when we had a forum registry with your user name, real name, hometown, and WSU class date. Then came the “Troubles” after a lengthy, passionate, yet civil, discussion led by Ricky del Rio whereby the board formed into Team A & Team B on the desired fate of Head Coach Randy Smithson. The board really picked up steam and sometime around Coach Randy Smithson’s departure the small town nature of the registry was retired.

Go Shocks!
                    I came on in the summer before Turgeon’s first year. The internet was very new then.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post

Go Shocks!
                      Was RDR Team A or Team B and which did each team signify? I must have came on right when this was going down but can't remember the details. I think I was for keeping Randy another year. I wasn't fully aware of all his issues behind the scenes. I bet RDR was for dumping him as he is as merciless as he is wise.

T

Comment

I honesty can’t recall if Team A was Keep or New Direction. I do believe that our esteemed friend was in favor of a new flavor.

Better days!
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Never forget 2 Valley fans at Arch Madness around 2004 or so asking me if I was 'Cold with a gleam in their eye. Would have made their day had I said yes.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Never forget 2 Valley fans at Arch Madness around 2004 or so asking me if I was 'Cold with a gleam in their eye. Would have made their day had I said yes.
                            You must have been actin' a fool fo sho! And havin' fun! There's advantages to not bein' a "company man"...

Would have made their day had I said yes.
                            You might have gotten kneecapped. I suspect ol' "blueblood" still wetdreams about meeting me in the proverbial alleyway. He wanted to root canal gangsta style - was definitely planning on leaving the Novocaine at home.

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I've been announcing my demise for years now. I like the idea of relic status - particularly the definitions that include the word reverence.

That's the comment of a real man. Absolutely perfect! I do hope you have or are planning on reproducing.

The self-regulating component of hockey is one of the best stories in all of sports. It's woven much deeper in the fabric of hockey tradition than most people understand. Hockey is a very dangerous sport that requires very dangerous people acting as a constant reminder to those who would consider taking liberties. Many scorers wear scant protective padding. "Superfluous" pugilism can look silly at times but the goons deserve consistent shifts too. Fights don't just happen for no reason. Sometimes a spot on a roster (a job) is attempting to be earned.

I'm fine with fighters being more skilled and perhaps even slightly smaller; Scott Stevens was no giant but he sure knew how to drop 'em. Wake me up when hockey turns back the Libtard clock and I'll get back into the stands.

T

ulner nerve decompression surgery ended my hockey “career” but i sure miss those days. i’ll tell ya cold that an ass beating is one thing, but buying the beer afterward for the fight winner was icing on the cake. contrary to what many on here would believe, we were all friends but disagreed at a moment in time. the best was when i changed teams and got into a bench clearer with my old squad.. . pulling the jersey over my replacement’s head and giving him haymakers for shooting ice into my goalie’s face-mask was very rewarding. the trip by my old team’s bench rubbing my hands together like it was just another day probably wasn't a great idea. ended up on the bottom of a dog pile, resulting in nerve damage in my arm.

would i do it again? you're g-d right.
                              did i drink more beer than i bought? it was about 50/50

Comment

scott stevens is a man. yes, he’s retired but it doesn’t leave you.

had the pleasure of skating with bob berg and travis clayton.. both had good wheels.. neither were very intimidating, but not worth messing with either.

you need some help with rob weingartner? naah homie, you’ll have to do this one alone or find someone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X