No announcement yet.

Trey Wade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's better than McDuffie, and McDuffie was really good!

McDuffie really helped save last season, and that can never be forgotten. I mean we lost to Louisiana Tech AT HOME! Yet ended up in the NIT final four as a LOW SEED. That's quite a feat!

Comment

McDuffie would have killed it at the four... He often guarded 1s, 2s, and 3s...

Comment

Trey looks impressive and I’m super glad we have him. But I can’t discount McDuff, the dude gave everything he had to the program every year including a really challenging senior year. He goes on my list as one of my favorite shockers.

Comment

A couple of posters in the past couple of days were again being critical of McDuffie and Samajae Haynes Jones. I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to call out either of last year's Shocker Seniors. Just stop comparing them with this year's Shockers is the best way to move forward or as it's been said on here several times, "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything".

McDuffie came all the way from New Jersey to Wichita Kansas and gave us four years, and SHJ lived his whole life wanting to be a Shocker. I doubt that Duff will live here during his lifetime (he isn't the close to the first Shocker to not come back to live in Kansas), but he gave 4 years, and last year had to be a trying year. GM talks about how positive he stayed during the year and never pointed fingers at others when they lost. Neither Duff nor SHJ were perfect players (even Cotton, Carl Hall, etc. weren't perfect players, they just ended their careers on a F4 team) but without them, we wouldn't have ended up with a 14-4 record and winning 3 Road NIT games to move on to the F4 of the NIT. They now for sure deserve our praises and allow the barbs/insults to cease and desist.

I for one am glad they became Shockers and will remember them fondly, much as I remember LD Swanson, Terry Hankton, etc. who were good players during some bad times. just my take on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
            Neither Duff nor SHJ were perfect players (even Cotton, Carl Hall, etc. weren't perfect players, they just ended their careers on a F4 team) but without them, we wouldn't have ended up with a 14-4 record and winning 3 Road NIT games to move on to the F4 of the NIT.
            Careful, excommunication could be in your near future if you continue this line of blasphemy.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I am just thrilled to see Wade perform so well this early as he has. Obviously, we should want every new player to eventually perform equal to or better than the Fred's, Ron's, Early's, and our other outstanding players like MM, that played before them. And this holds true for the rest of our guys on this year's team, and all future teams as well.

I am not saying that MM was anywhere as good as Early, but just look at the team mates that Early had compared with last years inexperienced team and there is a tremendous disparity. The same may hold somewhat true as well concerning the more experienced team mates Wade has this year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                I am just thrilled to see Wade perform so well this early as he has. Obviously, we should want every new player to eventually perform equal to or better than the Fred's, Ron's, Early's, and our other outstanding players like MM, that played before them. And this holds true for the rest of our guys on this year's team, and all future teams as well.

I am not saying that MM was anywhere as good as Early, but just look at the team mates that Early had compared with last years inexperienced team and there is a tremendous disparity. The same may hold somewhat true as well concerning the more experienced team mates Wade has this year as well.
                This is such a valid point. We have had some really talented athletes on our squads but sometimes, like last year, the supporting cast just isn't quite up to the task. I suppose it's what makes the TBT such a fun tournament. Seeing some of our favorite Shockers from different squads on the court together is really pretty cool and makes you think about the "what ifs".

My thoughts about Wade and MM are in this vein. I shouldn't have invited the comparison, it wasn't meant that way necessarily, because they're very different athletes. But I will say there is something about the way Wade plays, even against inferior opponents, that makes me think the guy is going to have a pretty successful career here in Wichita.

Comment

I'm not sure why we are comparing the two. Both were/are really good players. MM was here for 4 years and we saw some really great play and we saw all of his shortcomings.

Trey is off to a tremendous start - we haven't seen his shortcomings yet. I'm sure he will make some mistakes.

MM 3 NCAA TOURNAMENT APPEARANCES 1 NIT SEMI FINAL

TW TBD

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
                    I'm not sure why we are comparing the two. Both were/are really good players. MM was here for 4 years and we saw some really great play and we saw all of his shortcomings.

Trey is off to a tremendous start - we haven't seen his shortcomings yet. I'm sure he will make some mistakes.

MM 3 NCAA TOURNAMENT APPEARANCES 1 NIT SEMI FINAL

TW TBD
                    And that NIT was his best year of his career, can't compare players like that.

Comment

MM and SHJ mentions are because we are trying to assess this team as compared to last year’s. I feel like we upgraded at point. I feel like we can replace what we lost with MM. Hopefully all returning players have improved. That makes me hopeful for this year. Because we have upgraded, the same results as last season would be a disappointment.

Comment

The play Wade brought the ball too low on an offensive rebound and 2 defenders tried to tie him up. Before they could get a tie up he forced a shot up and got the foul with both pulling on him and. Thats when I was sold. He's smart, strong and with his skill oh boy we got a good one

Comment

Was it ever reported why Wade left UTEP?
                          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                            Trey looks impressive and I’m super glad we have him. But I can’t discount McDuff, the dude gave everything he had to the program every year including a really challenging senior year. He goes on my list as one of my favorite shockers.
                            When this year's sophomores become seniors ask them about MM's senior season and what it meant to them as freshmen.

....and love Wade btw...
                            For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                            - said no one ever...

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Was it ever reported why Wade left UTEP?
                              Coaching change. Tim Floyd retired during the season and Phil Johnson was an interim head coach.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

What a great addition. Our track record with Juco’s is really strong.

Trey Wade is such a good all around player. I was worried about PF spot with the graduation of McDuffie and dismissal of Teddy but holy crap thanks to Wade those worries are gone. He’s a little undersized but his athleticism makes up for a lot of that.

I’ve been surprised by his shot blocking ability. And he’s jumped the passing lane several times for a steal and dunk.

Would like to see a little more patience out of him at times with his moves on the block but it’s tough to complain about much with him.

He’s a big reason I’m hesitant to put a ceiling on what this team can accomplish. The next few weeks should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X