2019-20 Annual "Redshirt" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 Annual "Redshirt" Guess-a-thon

Who is most likely, or who should get red-shirted for the 2019-20 season?

(You decide and you may choose more than one)
    Bilau, Josaphat – Forward
    60.00%
    Etienne, Tyson – Guard
    0%
    Fernandes, Noah – Guard
    65.33%
    Gordon, Deantoni – Forward
    1.33%
    Sherfield, Grant – Guard
    0%
    Some One Else (specify)
    1.33%
    No One
    10.67%

The poll is expired.

If Noah's foot keeps him off the court more than two or three weeks he would be best served by taking the year and working on his weight and game. Not saying he can't hold it against Div I competition, but after watching Sherfield and Burton last night, methinks Noah is going to have a fight on his hands to get meaningful minutes.

And Gregg made an interesting comment last night at the end of the game in that he mentioned that Josaphat came to Wichita with two injuries that have kept him from really practicing the way he needs to and alluded to the fact that he's still not 100 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
      If Noah's foot keeps him off the court more than two or three weeks he would be best served by taking the year and working on his weight and game. Not saying he can't hold it against Div I competition, but after watching Sherfield and Burton last night, methinks Noah is going to have a fight on his hands to get meaningful minutes.

And Gregg made an interesting comment last night at the end of the game in that he mentioned that Josaphat came to Wichita with two injuries that have kept him from really practicing the way he needs to and alluded to the fact that he's still not 100 percent.
      Interesting comment I heard from Marshall on Fernandes is that he has the biggest heart on the team. That alone makes him dangerous to take a starting role as a freshman.

I voted for him to RS.
      Livin the dream

Comment

All hands on deck.

Comment

Bilau needs a redshirt so I voted him. Dude looks lost sometimes. I also voted Fernandes, but mostly because of his injury. If he is healthy I think he will get minutes just based on how everyone talks about his game.

Comment

JoBoo only had a few minutes last night, but he never looked lost last night

Comment

Fernandes may redshirt, I don’t know, but despite the injuries Coach seems to go out of his way to positively mention him in a lot of interviews.

I’m on the no one should redshirt side. Maybe that’s selfish because I want to see them all play.

Comment

I am starting to lean on the side of no red shirts except in the case of injury.

If I were a player and had limited minutes, I would prefer to stick it out and save the redshirt in case I needed to transfer.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

If the player wants to, I'm not against it, but it should never be pressured on a player. There are many issues that are involved, and not just the playing time of a player for one year. Significant numbers of freshmen are 19 or 20, and while we haven't had any one and done players (at least not yet), many players may not see themselves as five and maybe not even four year players.

Comment

I’m on the side that doesn’t see redshirting as a negative thing. There’s only so many minutes to give and not everyone can play 15+ min a game. I’m sure every one of our players think they should be starting, which makes it difficult to put this decision on their shoulders.

Comment

Marshall has said in the past that doesn't make players redshirt. He will tell them if he thinks they should or not but he leaves the final decision up to them.
                      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Unless the NCAA clears up the rules behind hardship transfer waivers and makes it easier for players to transfer and play immediately, unless for medical, I wouldn't redshirt anyone. Rod Brown is a great example why (Or Trey Wade).

Our recruiting is getting better every year. We have guys who have seen legitimate minutes facing a minutes reduction because new guys are that talented. May not play much if you don't redshirt, but injuries and fouls always present spots, and that might be what a guy needs to prove they can play at this level. I'd rather waste a year playing 50 minutes total than on a second redshirt year moving to a new school.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          If the player wants to, I'm not against it, but it should never be pressured on a player.
                          I believe that is exactly Coach Marshall's policy. Or at least I have heard him express that on numerous occasions.

Comment

Marshall has also said that if a player chooses not to RS, and doesn’t earn PT, then he will RS them by coaches decision. I don’t think that will be the case this year, but PT is earned and there is only so much time to go around.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              Marshall has also said that if a player chooses not to RS, and doesn’t earn PT, then he will RS them by coaches decision. I don’t think that will be the case this year, but PT is earned and there is only so much time to go around.
                              How does that coach's decision effect that player if he chooses to transfer? I guess he burns a year of eligibility either way by not playing or RS then has to set out a year without a RS if transfers. Of course, if he stays, he still has 4 years of eligibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X