First day of practice, Marshall talks about the Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    Wow, I thought he was doing better than that. I guess that with a "Defense First" system that 3G runs, AM will never see the floor this year.
    Sarcasm?!

Comment

You noticed, huh?

Comment

I see we’re starting early on this tired old debate.

Obviously a player is what he is from the moment he steps on campus and is unable to improve. I mean Midtgard is a prime example of that. This will be his third year and he’s no better than he was when he showed up. Case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
          I see we’re starting early on this tired old debate.

Obviously a player is what he is from the moment he steps on campus and is unable to improve. I mean Midtgard is a prime example of that. This will be his third year and he’s no better than he was when he showed up. Case closed.
          I don't believe anyone said "he was no better than he was when he showed up" and I think everyone hopes he continues to improve.

As far as your "tired old debate", I think it ended a few post ago, as far as defensive performance is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

I don't know where you are getting your stats Imforwsu or which ones you are cherry picking but the following are from Synergy and are overall stats from the most respected stat collector on the planet.

Arrgh while I frequently agree with you in this case it is not hating when facts back me up.

Shockm, sorry you are just wrong.

Cdizzle, I respect your opinions but the facts just don't back this one up.

Look, he is a good kid and I hope he gets better but it is just crazy to say his defense last year was anything but awful.

Multi-Game Player Views/Regular Season - Defensive - Asbjorn Midtgaard #33 7'0" 270 lbs
            Report Contents - Man and Zone Defense Print Report Generated: 10/04/2019
            Season: 2018-2019 Team: Wichita State Shockers Date Range: 11/06/2018 to 03/09/2019 Number of Games: 24
            Overall Defense % Time Poss Points PPP Rank Rating FGm FGM FGA FG% aFG% %TO %FT %SF %Score
            Asbjorn Midtgaard 100% 51 56 1.098 6% Poor 22 22 44 50% 58% 9.8% 7.8% 7.8% 47.1%

Multi-Game Player Views/NIT Tournament - Defensive - Asbjorn Midtgaard #33 7'0" 270 lbs
            Report Contents - Man and Zone Defense Print Report Generated: 10/04/2019
            Season: 2018-2019 Team: Wichita State Shockers Date Range: 03/20/2019 to 04/02/2019 Number of Games: 4
            Overall Defense % Time Poss Points PPP Rank Rating FGm FGM FGA FG% aFG% %TO %FT %SF %Score
            Asbjorn Midtgaard 100% 17 22 1.294 8% Poor 6 9 15 60% 63.3% 0% 11.8% 11.8% 64.7%
            Conference only games, his last 17 played, from Sportsreference
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I don’t know if I trust all the defensive stats.

For instance, do you really get credit as a defender for all the possessions where you perfectly deny the ball or force the ball to kick back out? Most bigs get scored on via sets where they have been picked or rubbed by screeners. So the sample size of shots is biased towards high percentage opportunities.

i know Houston’s players said AM made it harder on them to run their offense.

Comment

Fair point, pro. The stats are useful mainly insofar as they show achievement (or the lack thereof) of a particular type that the statmaker judges worthy of counting. And not all statmakers value the same things or attribute the same amount of value to them. Also, sometimes -- especially nowadays, in the era of data -- a particular metric may be popular or trendy and as a result almost take on a life of its own, getting more attention or maybe being taken more seriously than it really deserves.

Still, I do think the points per possession info is valuable, simply because points are the bottom line. Of course, it's also true that who else is on the floor matters; you could be Paul Pressey (to give longtime fans a blast from the past, albeit not a particularly happy memory), and if you're out there with a bunch of lazy or unathletic slugs -- or just several guys who themselves aren't very good defenders, either individually or in a team concept -- your PPP numbers are going to suffer. That's just the nature of basketball, in which the activities of a team and its players on the floor together are much more interdependent than in (for example) baseball, where specific individual events are more able to be isolated and tracked. It's also why the numbers with particular combinations are helpful, even though they tend to create smallish sample sizes, because they tend to zero in better on which is the key variable: a given individual or the group with whom he's playing at a given moment.

Comment

I don't believe anyone said "he was no better than he was when he showed up" and I think everyone hopes he continues to improve.

As far as your "tired old debate", I think it ended a few post ago, as far as defensive performance is concerned.
                  Well, Big Mit continues to prove your point. He looked like absolute dog **** in the scrimmage today, pretty much carrying on his play over the second half of last season.

Comment

Well that looks just like the AM from last year. Just saying..
                    I believe he was the top scorer at the scrimmage today. Looked good defensively as well

Comment

AM was the most dominating player today, very active, and played good D. Generally speaking my other take aways were
                      poor ball movement and pretty bad outside shooting. On the good side I thought the freshmen guards including TB all played
                      very good defense, as well as, JB. Wade had some good moments on both sides of the ball. My top candidate for a RS would be
                      the Frenchman. Very athletic but RAW and long arms. Busse looks like a little smaller ES to me. Plays with his head up and
                      knows his role. I think he played the whole game with one turnover but also stole it right back. Overall, the good news was
                      defense and the bad news was offense.

Comment

All good points proshox and WSUwatcher. It seems if the sample size is large enough that it will all even out and player comparisons will be fairly accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Well, Big Mit continues to prove your point. He looked like absolute dog **** in the scrimmage today, pretty much carrying on his play over the second half of last season.

Point??? Seriously what is your problem???

AM was bad on defense last year. That is a fact, not a point of mine.

As far as today, He looked to be slimmed down from last year and quicker. His offense has never been a problem. He and JE pretty much cancelled each other out when guarding each other. I was pleased that he looked improved on Defense over last year at the same time realizing that guarding another 6:10 to 7" player is where he is at his best. Where he has struggled immensely in the past is when a team goes smaller and he is forced try and guard a smaller player. He will be a valuable player to have on the team when we go against team with a tall and bulky big man.

Comment

Taylor Eldridge: Finally healthy, Jaime Echenique has improved conditioning that could help Wichita State

It’s easy to forget Jaime Echenique played the final two-thirds of last basketball season with a debilitating foot injury, because the 6-foot-11 center from Colombia didn’t miss a game for Wichita State after partially tearing his plantar fascia in the Shockers’ final nonconference game.

“It’s feeling great,” Echenique said of his foot. “I’ve been having good runs in practice. My conditioning is way better because I can work on it because there is no more pain. So I’m working every day so I can give all that I can for my team for my last year.”

That’s why at the start of the summer, WSU strength and conditioning coach Kerry Rosenboom said it was his “No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 goal” for Echenique to improve his stamina.

Both agreed the offseason plan has been a success. Echenique said it was frustrating playing while injured last season, but said going through the adversity made him stronger. That led to him being more committed to running since returning from the injury this summer.

“Now we do three hours of practice and I feel like I can keep going easily,” Echenique said.

Comment

Great news, JE needs to be a strong, consistent scoring option down low for us this year. Improvement finishing close is vital. I don't think our shooting will be as dire as last year, but what led to a lot of droughts was missing layups and bunnies when we needed a basket.

Hopefully a healthy JE will be a more potent scoring JE inside.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

When is the Shocks' first exhibition game?

Comment

Working...
                                X