A optimistic comparison of the 2013-14 team and the current team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A optimistic comparison of the 2013-14 team and the current team

So we are getting close, but not close enough. I needed a Shox Bball fix bad, so yesterday I watched 2 games from the epic undefeated regular season. The games I watched, in order, and due to limited options on full games, not in Spanish, on Youtube, were the early on road trip to a good St. Louis team, followed by the final dagger to the heart game vs. Kentucky in the rd. of 32. As I watched, I started summarizing team progressions from game 8 (I believe) and game 36, and noticed several things that left me feeling good about this years Shox.

At the time of the St. L game, the shox were ranked 12th due to their previous season final 4 finish, and just coming off the win in the finals of that K.C. tournament over a BYU team expected to be dancing at the end of the season.
    The announcers were already starting the "not sure if they are elite" talk, but couldn't deny their potential. So I don't post a novel, here are my views, and how I see it pertinent to the current shocker youth movement.
    1. Fred looked comfortable, but not 100 percent confident in everything he did. Be looked stronger and more mature, but not yet the best college point guard to ever lace up a pair. The announcer said he didn't look comfortable again the Bills press.
    2. Ron was the man with all the hype and mojo coming in averaging around 20/game. He was still stroking 3's but had added some driving and midrange to complete his arsenal. His D was legit too.
    3. Cle was largely invisible until the last 5 minutes of the game. When St.Ls big guy Loe fouled out at about the 4:20 mark, Cle, who he fouled, pointed to the score board and said something to Fred. I watched it several times, and I'm no expert lip reader, but after he smiled, i swear Fred nodded and said to Cle, "yeah, thats right, they are winning" Cle hit both FTs and followed with wing area 3 balls the next 2 possessions. I think thats the game he was born for that season.
    4. Cotton was classic Cotton. He was still working on his FTs and outside range a bit, but no denying the presence of the biggest play X-Factor I've ever seen in college hoops.
    5. The 3 headed monster were still a bit of a work in progress with Lufile showing a few moves, and Darius showing that he probably had the best skill set of the 3.
    6. Evan hustled and grinded, Wiggins was off, but played good D, and that was who showed.

Fast forwarding to the confident, cohesive unit that played against Kentucky in one of the best tourney games EVER, I stood impressed by the progress. Cle was the leading scorer and the man coming in and throughout, Ron was fire, Fred had some whistle bad luck but dropped dimes and cherry picked Harrison all game, Cotton had a little trouble with the UK size, but was Cotton, and 2 of the 3 headed monster showed well, with Carter even undersized belonged against that UK giant future pro cast of bigs.

As it relates to this seasons youth movement...
    JB won't be the next FVV, nobody ever will, but I expect his maturity and hard work to bring a huge leap this season. He'll have freshman help, much like Malcolm did with Fred, and those guys will be going by conference play.

Dex is receiving the Ron treatment right now, and I believe he will bring a new level with him back for this team.

I think ES will find his consistency and be that solid rotation dude that comes up big when they need him. His desire will make sure he is this to the team...and probably even more than that.

I would take our new 3 headed monster over that one every time. JE will be dominant at times, and our back up 7 footer will be continuing his ascension and breaking out big stats when JE is occasionally off. I also think PB will start figuring it out on a Shaq Morris type timeline, but is terrific backup bulk.

I think Wade surprises as a heavy minute taker at the 4, and Coach Marshall has a luxury of multiple winning lineups depending on the situation. I see his contributions as similar to Carters first year, but with a different skill set of course.

I think a couple of the newbies are high level dudes that will contribute early and often, if not completely consistently. I hope Fat Joe uses his court time to shine as an athletic mid range guy like Aaron Ellis instead of trying to go all Eric Hamilton from the second he sees the court. But his time will come.

I'm just stressing that these pieces are still a work in progress, but way closer to a champion than at this point last year. BTW the announcers big knock on the shox in St Louis was that Malcolm, Carl Hall, and Erupke were gone from the previous year....similar to all the McDuffy and SHJ scoring to replace that has been popping this preseason.

Just remember, the team that lost to La. Tech in the opener, wouldn't have won a game in the American this past season. I think we are back. Fo Sho

The team dynamics seem to be in place for a tough gritty team this year...also think there is plenty of reason for optimism.

Comment

That team had 3 future NBA players on it. If we’re at that level, we need some guys to seriously step up this year and make big leaps. I think we have the talent, hope the players have been workig their tails off and are ready to roll this year. By mid season, we should see several of the freshman making big impacts as well. As for Dex, he’s Ron’s offense combined with Tekele’s defense. This dude will play in the NBA.

Comment

OK you did say it was an Optimistic comparison so maybe we should cut you some slack. But it seems unfair to me that you compare the current team to a shocker team that beat the number 1 team in the Country, Gonzaga, went to a final four,and followed that up by going 35-1. Not to mention as Dan said having 3 NBA players on the team along with Tekel.

In my opinion, maybe we should wait and let the current team make their own legacy before we start comparing them.

Comment

I like unbridled optimism. I believe the crux of his comments were the progression of the team early to later. No one can predict how this plays out but it is an opinion as to how this plays out. We can go the other way and predict that without our two seniors and the loss of TA we will be mediocre and not be tournament worthy...oh wait, that sounds like a publication pundits point of view. Never mind I like the unbridled version better

Comment

After reading some much appreciated replies on this, I figured that I'd weigh back in on a few things. I do understand that there is no predicting the future improvements of any individual or team. My first reason for this optimistic approach, is just to offer some perspective. I think we are in for a great season, but it really irks me when hurricane negativity hits after any type of misstep. Last season, I actually avoided the net for a while because of some of the stuff directed at our Shox. But it is an open forum, so you do you, I suppose. Even during our early struggles, I knew it would get better. I never saw the early 90's (my time on campus) returning....thank god. But even then, I went to every home game, and had hope for every new recruit.

My main point was that excellence isn't born overnight. And grabbing some key noncon wins before getting rolling in AAC play is the ultimate goal. A bid for a team that can do some damage come March. And I truly won't be wheatshocked if our guys are playing deep. I think some of my comparisons are valid, and hopefully, some will come to be.

When watching those games I talked about, the most eye opening part for me was how quickly they gelled. I always think of those players as instant stars, but really wasn't the case. They grew and showed grit, and made a couple unbelievable seasons though.

More than anything else I spewed on about, I truly feel that this current group has what it takes to get us back where we belong. And a preseason dose heavy on optimism isn't a bad thing.

Thx for the replies and reads, my shocker brethren.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              NA

Originally posted by Shocknroll33 View Post
            After reading some much appreciated replies on this, I figured that I'd weigh back in on a few things. I do understand that there is no predicting the future improvements of any individual or team. My first reason for this optimistic approach, is just to offer some perspective. I think we are in for a great season, but it really irks me when hurricane negativity hits after any type of misstep. Last season, I actually avoided the net for a while because of some of the stuff directed at our Shox. But it is an open forum, so you do you, I suppose. Even during our early struggles, I knew it would get better. I never saw the early 90's (my time on campus) returning....thank god. But even then, I went to every home game, and had hope for every new recruit.

My main point was that excellence isn't born overnight. And grabbing some key noncon wins before getting rolling in AAC play is the ultimate goal. A bid for a team that can do some damage come March. And I truly won't be wheatshocked if our guys are playing deep. I think some of my comparisons are valid, and hopefully, some will come to be.

When watching those games I talked about, the most eye opening part for me was how quickly they gelled. I always think of those players as instant stars, but really wasn't the case. They grew and showed grit, and made a couple unbelievable seasons though.

More than anything else I spewed on about, I truly feel that this current group has what it takes to get us back where we belong. And a preseason dose heavy on optimism isn't a bad thing.

Thx for the replies and reads, my shocker brethren.
            it really irks me when hurricane negativity hits after any type of misstep. Last season, I actually avoided the net for a while because of some of the stuff directed at our Shox. But it is an open forum, so you do you, I suppose.
            Really glad to hear you recovered from the onslaught of differing opinions. Found a hearty safe space to recharge I assume? God life would be so easy if we could just censor opposing views...

T

...:cool:

Comment

Here’s my equation:

3G + returning talent + influx of talent =
              success.

Comment

Differing opinions I can take, Cold, but I don't swim in sewars if I can help it, and ur the biggest turd here. I find it funny that the thinnest skinned people out there are the ones who can't speak a sentence without dropping the "snowflake" or some similar term. I think its hilarious that you actually think I can be affected by a different opinion. I quit logging in during the previous season because negativity and attacks on the program from posters like you were giving me eye strain from rolling my eyes so much. But you do you boy, you do you. I choose to see the positives and potential of our program, I'm sure Im not the only one. Laughing at obvious reflections of self hate only amuses me for so long fella. Shock On peeps!!

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had a lot of eye strain myself last year... from what I was seeing on the court.

Nothing has ever occurred on this board significant enough to alter my blood pressure by one millimeter of mercury save for the time I was banned literally hours prior to leaving for Atlanta. That was a good one Kyle.. Carl... Klip... whatever.

So what I'm sayin' to you is this: Stop cryin' Snowflake.

T

...:cool:

You need to understand that cold is PWT who believes that TSA screeners are overpaid. It was a mistake to allow him back on this board, but since this place seems to function, for the most part , as an echo chamber for kooky people like him, he will hang out here and fling his dung at the person du jour that has insulted his limited intellect.

Hope you get out of the penalty box soon, best of luck.

Comment

Shocknroll33 we need fans like you with that type of optimism. If everybody is saying the same thing, than nobody is thinking. Diversity of thought is strength. Go shocks.

PS this is my first time posting a video. I hope it comes up. If not I have stay after school and relearn.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                  Shocknroll33 we need fans like you with that type of optimism. If everybody is saying the same thing, than nobody is thinking. Diversity of thought is strength. Go shocks.

PS this is my first time posting a video. I hope it comes up. If not I have stay after school and relearn.
                  Sorry it didn't come up. Back to school for me.

Comment

Originally posted by top20shock View Post
                    Here’s my equation:

3G + returning talent + influx of talent =
                    success.
                    amazingly concise and accurate.

Comment

Working...
                    X