2019-20 Smack Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 Smack Talk

“Memphis Basketball: 3 reasons why Tigers will win AAC title in 2019-20” – FanSided Sports

by Jason Burgess
    Posted: 08/14/19, 8:30am cst

In his second year, Penny Hardaway has Memphis Basketball ready to challenge for the title in the AAC. Here's why they will take the title.

“In just his second year, Penny Hardaway has Memphis Basketball poised to challenge for the title in the American Athletic Conference. Here are three reasons they will take the title….

1. Greatest group of incoming freshmen in the country
    The first and most obvious reason that Memphis should be the pick to win the AAC are the newcomers that will don the Tigers uniform this season. Hardaway has brought in the nation’s top recruiting class for the upcoming season and there is no debate about that. The class consists of seven signees, according to 247Sports, the Tigers welcome two five-star and five four-star recruits and five of them are ranked in the top-60 nationally….

2. The other contenders won’t be as good as in recent years
    Of course, all of this looks good on paper and the players have to gel, but the pundits are buying in (and so am I), as our resident bracketologist has the Tigers as the No. 4 seed in the South Region in his preseason edition of bracketology. In order to win the AAC, the Tigers will likely have to go through the usual suspects, namely Houston and Cincinnati and a team looking to have a bit of bounce-back season, in Wichita State. The good news for Memphis is that none of those teams have their talent level and while they will be good they are likely not to be at the level they have competed at in recent years….Wichita State won 22 games last season but do lose their top two scorers, Markis McDuffie and Samajae Haynes-Jones to graduation, while returning their next top seven scorers, that production should help the Shockers compete at the top of the conference, but it won’t be enough to hold off the ultra-talented Tigers.

3. An elite offensive unit
    The last reason I think Memphis wins the AAC is that the offense could be even better than last season while continuing their aggressive style of play. In the first season under Hardaway, The Tigers averaged 80 points while giving up over 74. The defense improved as the season went on as they only gave up over 74 points twice over their last 12 games.… Memphis will win the AAC because of an even more prolific offense that will drown conference opponents with its aggressive style that will lead to more easy buckets for this super-athletic roster.”

Replacement Coaches For Every ACC Program - Duke Basketball Report

By JD King
    Oct 13, 2019, 9:44pm EDT

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...a-tony-bennett

"The college basketball season starts with optimism in most places but inevitably, by the end of the season, some teams are disappointments and, at some point, every coach is replaced. So we thought we’d take a stab at candidates to replace every ACC coach...

Florida State - Leonard Hamilton has mastered the art of being competitive yet not being a real threat. Presumably FSU would like to take it to the next level. Gregg Marshall would be a great fit and his arrogance would go over well with the FSU fan base which often feels insecure. Plus he’s seen better days at Wichita...."

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      Replacement Coaches For Every ACC Program - Duke Basketball Report

By JD King
      Oct 13, 2019, 9:44pm EDT

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...a-tony-bennett

"The college basketball season starts with optimism in most places but inevitably, by the end of the season, some teams are disappointments and, at some point, every coach is replaced. So we thought we’d take a stab at candidates to replace every ACC coach...

Florida State - Leonard Hamilton has mastered the art of being competitive yet not being a real threat. Presumably FSU would like to take it to the next level. Gregg Marshall would be a great fit and his arrogance would go over well with the FSU fan base which often feels insecure. Plus he’s seen better days at Wichita...."
      'Seen better days'.....I'm chuckling...

Comment

Agreed. This is poor, I won't call it reporting, but somebody clearly didn't do any homework or research. All I need to see is the little blurb about Marshall and I know it's poorly put together. As Bugs Bunny would say...."Next!"

Comment

Somehow, I'm not surprised that a Dookie wrote that.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
            Agreed. This is poor, I won't call it reporting, but somebody clearly didn't do any homework or research. All I need to see is the little blurb about Marshall and I know it's poorly put together. As Bugs Bunny would say...."Next!"
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Hopefully the Dookies will get to see the WSU demise firsthand in Atlantis 2020 !

Comment

It's all fun, games for North Attleboro's college hoops humorist Barend - The Sun Chronicle

By Peter Gobis
                Posted: 10/18/19, 11:00pm cst

“One of the C’s in Cincinnati on every player’s jersey is underlined. I think I could have done well at a school that took pride in the letter C.”

“According to Wichita State’s Coach Gregg Marshall, to have a competitive basketball program, ‘you have to have the players.’ I like to think he arrived at this revelation after a long period staring at an empty court and a ball.”

To be fair, its not really "Smack Talk" , Barend is a basketball comedian.

Comment

Three possible upsets for Texas Southern basketball 2019-2020 - HBCU Game Day

By Dominique Monday
                  Posted on November 5, 2019

"Texas Southern pulled off three Power Five upsets last season. Can it repeat that feat in 2019-2020?...

THREE MOST LIKELY NON-CONFERENCE WINS
                  #1. Wichita State (November 9): Yep, the Tigers can shock the Shockers. Wichita State was picked to finish fourth in their conference. The Shockers return seven of their top nine scorers but only three starters. Wichita State will need to find someone to replace leading scorer and all conference guard Markis McDuffie. Starting point guard Jamarius Burton returns for the shockers but look for him to turn the ball over, as he led the shockers with 68 turnovers last season. November is too early to find a replacement for McDuffie and the Shockers wont know what to expect from the Tigers, this early in the season. If Texas Southern can minimize turnovers and be smart on the defensive end, it can come away with the upset...."

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                    Three possible upsets for Texas Southern basketball 2019-2020 - HBCU Game Day

By Dominique Monday
                    Posted on November 5, 2019

https://hbcugameday.com/2019/11/05/t...all-2019-2020/

"Texas Southern pulled off three Power Five upsets last season. Can it repeat that feat in 2019-2020?...

THREE MOST LIKELY NON-CONFERENCE WINS
                    #1. Wichita State (November 9): Yep, the Tigers can shock the Shockers. Wichita State was picked to finish fourth in their conference. The Shockers return seven of their top nine scorers but only three starters. Wichita State will need to find someone to replace leading scorer and all conference guard Markis McDuffie. Starting point guard Jamarius Burton returns for the shockers but look for him to turn the ball over, as he led the shockers with 68 turnovers last season. November is too early to find a replacement for McDuffie and the Shockers wont know what to expect from the Tigers, this early in the season. If Texas Southern can minimize turnovers and be smart on the defensive end, it can come away with the upset...."
                    Look for JB to turn it over because he had 68 TO? You forgot to mention his 1.85 assist to turnover ratio was the highest ever for a true freshman at WSU and considering he stole roughly a third of his turnover count back... Oh, and for the last two months that ratio was 2.79... Clown write up, do better.
                    Last edited by ShoxRoxMySox; November 5, 2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

And he may be unable to play because of injury tonight
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

68 turnovers in 37 games is less than 2 a game. Hardly an overwhelming number.

Yeah, we’ll boatrace these fools.
                        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                          68 turnovers in 37 games is less than 2 a game. Hardly an overwhelming number.
                          Especially for a guy who never played pg before, I bet most of the turnovers were in the 1st half of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by bunck View Post

Especially for a guy who never played pg before, I bet most of the turnovers were in the 1st half of the season.
                            You do mean "in college" before?

Comment

Ailing Memphis Tigers are taking backs-against-the-wall mentality to Wichita State - The Commercial Appeal

By Jason Munz, Memphis Commercial Appeal
                              Published 3:41 p.m. CT Jan. 7, 2020

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...aa/2823947001/

"...For Memphis' Tyler Harris it was one of the first times in his college career that he hushed a frenzied crowd. His 3-pointer with 5:14 left extended Memphis’ lead to 73-67.

"“I hit a deep trey and the crowd was just like, ‘Ooohhh,’” the sophomore guard said. “They had a run going and I feel like I kind of silenced the crowd. I kind of like that more than everybody getting excited.”

Comment

Working...
                              X