Iowa United (7) at AfterShocks (2) Prediction Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa United (7) at AfterShocks (2) Prediction Thread

Iowa United (7-seed) at the AfterShocks (2-seed)

TV: ESPN
    Day: Thursday, 07/25/19
    Time: 8:00pm cst
    Iowa United by 10+
    2.63%
    Iowa United by 5+
    0%
    Iowa United by 1+
    0%
    Toss-Up, could go either way
    5.26%
    AfterShocks by 1+
    5.26%
    AfterShocks by 5+
    44.74%
    AfterShocks by 10+
    42.11%

The poll is expired.

Shocker basketball in July at Koch. Doesn't get any better than this!

Comment

https://247sports.com/college/kansas...3/#133833053_7

#2 AFTERSHOCKS -- via Kevin Flaherty, National College Basketball writer for 247Sports
      OVERVIEW: At their best, Gregg Marshall's Wichita State teams have developed a reputation for being an absolute pain to play; a squad that grinds opponents to dust with physical defense and annoying efficiency offensively. And that's exactly what the AfterShocks -- a team made up almost entirely by former Shocker players -- appear to bring to the TBT. The Shockers could be one of the most stifling defensive teams, deploying defensive stoppers all over the roster from Tekele Cotton to Toure' Murry, Cleanthony Early to Zach Brown and even a likely backup point guard Malcolm Armstead. And with front court players like Rashard Kelly and Shaq Morris, the post should be among the most physical in the Wichita Regional. Early will be counted on for scoring, while hometown hero Conner Frankamp and big man Garrett Stutz need to hit outside shots. That could be the biggest key.

CURRENT PROS: 11, NBA EXPERIENCE: 2 (Early + Murry) HISTORY: 0-0

PREMIER PLAYER: One of two players on the roster with NBA experience, Early spent two years at Wichita State after transferring in from junior college. The two-time first-team All-Missouri Valley Conference team selection earned consensus second-team All-America honors as a senior, before being selected just outside the NBA Draft's first round. At 6-foot-8, 230-pounds, Early can play either forward spot and score inside and out. He's a plus in just about every area.

OUTLOOK: For those unfamiliar with Wichita State's roster, it could seem that the Shockers lack the name stars of some other teams, but don't make that mistake; that's one that felled several teams that underestimated Marshall's Shockers. Only former North Texas point guard Shannon Shorter comes to the roster outside of that family, and the defensive bonafides here are tremendous. More than one star player over the years has been locked up by Cotton, and he, Murry, Early and Brown make for a miserable task for opposing wings. Morris brings bulk, power, interior scoring and shot-blocking that most teams won't have down low. As said above, the key here will be the outside shooting. Will Frankamp and Co. hit enough three-pointers to force defenders out of the lane and give Morris and the team's drivers more room? If so, look out.

#7 IOWA UNITED -- via Sean Bock, Beat Writer for Hawkeye Insider
      OVERVIEW: This is Iowa United's first year competing in the TBT. The team consists of players from four Division I basketball programs in the state of Iowa: Drake, Northern Iowa, Iowa State, and Iowa. Matthew Crawford, an Iowa State alum, serves as the GM for the squad. Former Iowa point guard and Truman State head coach Jeff Horner is the head coach, while former Iowa forward and current Dallas Wings (WNBA) rookie Megan Gustafson is one of the main boosters. United also has a handful of players who didn't play their college ball at one of the four previously mentioned schools but were big-time prep stars in Iowa, including former Urbandale star Matt Tiby, who played collegiately at Wisconsin-Milwaukee and currently performs overseas in Italy.

CURRENT PROS: 8, NBA EXPERIENCE: 1 (Marcus Fizer), HISTORY: 0-0

PREMIER PLAYER: Former Iowa shooting guard Peter Jok seems to be the most important piece for United. Jok averaged 14.3 points and shot 41-percent from three in 43 games this past season for the Northern Arizona Suns of the NBA G-League. Earlier this month, the 6-foot-6 athlete signed with Cholet Basket of LNB Pro A League in France.

OUTLOOK: There's not a lot of TBT experience on this roster, however there are a lot of current professionals that are still holding their own in advanced ranks around the globe and that should make up for a lack of prior participation in this event. There is a good mix of talent and height, but a lot will depend on how the team plays as one and if they can string together a couple wins to gain confidence for a more lengthy run.

Comment

Comment

If Cle don't get taken out, we lose

Comment

• shoxlax
            shoxlax commented
            Editing a comment
            I told my wife the exact same thing at the end of the game. Are you my wife?

Seriously, the yapping, flexing and almost bizarre interactions with the refs and his teammates were really starting to ruin the experience-at least for me. The odd thing is he does actually look like he has improved a couple of pieces of his game.

I’ve always loved CH. One of the building blocks to our success. He had no problem getting in Cle’s ear when Early was going full jackolope early in the third quarter. I think both he and Karon could have a future in coaching somewhere at the college level if they wanted to go that route.

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            "Jackolope"... LMAO! Any kin to a Jackoffasaur?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0MYIv...M9H2/giphy.gif

I don't get the hating on Cle honestly. I loved his enthusiasm and passion. I don't like the volume of shots he took and the little incident with Timmer but the rest was great. It's not college basketball and not meant to be. I thought he was great. I believe without his fire and talent, we lose the game.

Comment

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for posting, couldn’t agree more. All of what you said was especially evident when I watched the replay. Cle was awesome, not perfect, but awesome. It’s great to see him back in Koch.

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            During a lot of the game, the rest of the team was deferring to Cle. They know he has serious skills and were letting him do his thing.

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          I don't get the hating on Cle honestly. I loved his enthusiasm and passion. I don't like the volume of shots he took and the little incident with Timmer but the rest was great. It's not college basketball and not meant to be. I thought he was great. I believe without his fire and talent, we lose the game.
          My biggest complaint was the constant jawing at the refs. I mean he would be not paying attention on defense because he was trying to talk to the ref that was standing 20 feet away from him. Even during FTs. It was constant.

Comment

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Stutz did just as much jawing when he was out there. They aren't college kids anymore. If it's too much, the refs will T them up.

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          I was honestly a little embarrassed with his flagrant foul (that wasn't called one); not a good look for us on nat TV.

Comment

• OregonShocker
            OregonShocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Even Mike Kennedy said it was unnecessary and a flagrant.

I'm not hating on Cle -- I was frustrated with his behavior last night.

The unsportsmanlike overreaction to being fouled was the tipping point for me. I was frustrated with the selfish play before that. Told my father-in-law that the score was about to change when he was forced to sit -- small ball defense plus unselfish play was what the doctor ordered at that moment in time.

I'll be cheering just as loud for Cle next game, as I was at the beginning of this game though, and assume he has heard an earful from his boys and he gets his crap together. We all have had bad nights, and hopefully Cle just had his.

Still love him, and still rootin' for him!
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe WuShock16 can attest to my comment last night when Early went out. "Cle's gonna sit awhile if not for the rest of the game and we're going to be just fine. Mark the time."

If we can get Cle's A game, this team will go far.

• Kung Wu
            Kung Wu commented
            Editing a comment
            WuDrWu you musta been sitting right below me in row 4? :)

• shoxlax
            shoxlax commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly and if anybody didn’t see this unfold right before their eyes, they had blinders on.

For those that were watching on TV, you saw about 20% of the shenanigans including the frustration with him by his teammates.

I think Cle will be much better behaved tomorrow. We need that to win in this tournament.

Comment

I'm not hating on Cle, but in his absence we went from 10 down to 10 up, defense and more team play

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
              I think it's a good sign that the creator and CEO of this tournament was in attendance last night. I'd be surprised if he doesn't leave this visit with signed paperwork for hosting next year.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Probably repeating someone earlier, but the comment from him along the lines of "the game couldn't go slow enough as I was enjoying every second and I didn't want it to end" was particularly enjoyable to read.

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ll be the first to propose they move the finals from Chicago to Wichita.

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                They should move the finals each year to the venue that generated the most ticket sales the year prior -- and give that team a free entry. Only makes sense, right?

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              I'm not hating on Cle, but in his absence we went from 10 down to 10 up, defense and more team play
              I watched the replay last night and I’m not sure that is correct. I think we were down 4 when he came off the court.

I certainly wouldn’t swear on anyone’s life so I could be wrong.
              Last edited by pie n eye; July 26, 2019, 01:48 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Sometimes when somebody is that talented, you put up with some of the not so great things. That's how it is in every walk of life. I will personally take this version of Cle if it means we get the talent and passion he injects in to the team. I think it's easy to forget that he is one of the leaders.

Comment

RH: AfterShocks Veteran Finishes Strong

Hannah's imprint on the game unfolded quietly, as he intended and his teammates expected. He played at Wichita State from 2008-10. As one of the team's older athletes, he is ready to bring the volume down a notch when it serves the purpose.

"I went right up to him after the game and said 'You won us the game,'" AfterShocks assistant coach J.R. Simon said. "He's kind of been the leader of this team, the oldest on the team. He went out there in the second half and took control of it, got everybody doing what they needed to be doing."

On Thursday, the AfterShocks had plenty of hype. They needed a dose of calm from Hannah.

"We had to slow down a little bit, a few more passes, a little more together, a little more organized basketball down the stretch," he said. "In this setting, summer basketball, everybody is trying to get their game right. There's definitely going to be a couple bad shots, a couple turnovers, loose play. In the end, you've got to lock it down and be a little more disciplined."

"(Former Shocker) Joe Ragland was yelling it from stands – 'Give Clev the ball, he's the best game manager we've got,' and I was saying the same thing," center J.T. Durley said. "It's an I.Q. thing. Only true point guards know how to manage games. Coach on the floor. Time and score in their head. They know what we need, who needs the ball."

"He gave us basketball savvy," center Garrett Stutz said. "With him, the ball never stops because he never stops. So we got good rhythm, good flow."

Hannah chatted with the hyped-up Early, telling him to let his teammates make the game easy for him. On defense, Hannah applied equal effort.

Perhaps one thing the Shocks were able to accomplish in their opening game was to establish who the leader of this team is and needs to be if they are going to advance deep in this tournament. Clevin proves once again the importance of quality point guard play.

Comment

Working...
                X