X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press Release Regarding ShockerRadio broadcasts

November 7, 2011

P R E S S R E L E A S E

After 31 years of providing color commentary for Shocker basketball games, Dave Dahl will not return to the air for the 2011-12 season. Mr. Dahl has entered the race for Sedgwick County Judge and would need a waiver of “equal access to public airways” from his opponent, Faith Maughan, in order to fulfill his on-air duties. The waiver has been proposed to Ms. Maughan, revocable anytime upon 48 hours written notice. Ms. Maughan has declined to agree to this waiver.

According to Jackie Wise, Vice President and General Manager of Entercom Radio (parent company for KNSS), “Federal law requires that all candidates be treated equally. In furtherance of this rule, Entercom company policy requires that no air talent may become a candidate for public office unless they cease their on-air appearances. We regret the situation but since his opponent will not waive the rights under federal law we have no choice but to prohibit Mr. Dahl from appearing in the play-by-play broadcasts while he is a candidate for public office.”

We at BGM Sports Marketing LLC (DBA ShockerRadio) wish to thank Dave Dahl for his 31 continuous years of humble service to the Shocker faithful. His views and commentary will be greatly missed.

Due to this change, road color analyst Bob Hull will assume the color analyst duties at all home games as well for the entire 2011-12 season. Bob’s prior coaching experience with WSU and his subsequent role as our road game analyst will be an invaluable asset to the ShockerRadio broadcasts and we look forward to his expanded role.

Dave Dahl is a great guy, a very fine human being and a true Shocker. I won't argue that Dave was the greatest color analyst in the world but he wasn't the worst either and 31 years in addition to his years as a player is pretty impressive, especially since this was a labor of love for Dave and not his career. Thanks for your many years of service and devotion to helping make following the Shocks so enjoyable.

I wish Dave the best of luck and I think he would make an outstanding judge. He has my vote.

Comment

The news of this saddens me, I have always enjoyed Dave as the color analyst, he will be missed by the listeners and Mike Kennedy as well. I think it is very petty of Ms. Maugham to not let Dave be on the radio. This may cause her to not get a lot of votes in her campaign for judge. I know I won't be voting for her. My vote is going to Mr. Dahl.
      "Everyone has their own level of comfort, I elected to stay. I sleep well, love where I am, and have a great level of support."
      --Head Coach Gregg Marshall

Comment

I wonder if this was the special announcement at the end of last nights show.

Comment

I don't have any problem with his opponent not signing the waiver, but I'm not sure why she would take the move.

Since Dave Dahl has been doing this for 31 years, any advantage he would gain in name familiarity would be so well cemented by now that being off the air for this season would likely do little to impact those people who might vote for him based on that familiarity. Furthermore, as @Shockair: just demonstrated, there are some who will gain a negative impression of her for keeping him off the air.

Once again, I don't think it is actually petty or illegitimate for Ms. Maugham to exercise her rights, but I'm not sure it was very well thought through.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

"Vote for Dave" may have just gotten a big boost with thanks to his oppoent, Ms Maugham.

Comment

Dave will make a great judge, just a little late in life to be running now.
              An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Considering the thousands of voters who listen to Shocker broadcasts, this was a poor PR move by his opponent.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think Bob will do a great job as color analyst for the Shox.

Comment

No Dave Dahl this year

All news, and all that matters to you in the Wichita region, plus 24-hour traffic updates, weather & more. Stream, read and download KNSS-AM from any device on Audacy.

Faith Maughan is lucky I don't vote in Wichita cause she sure wouldn't get it by causing Dave not to to be on the air. Of course I don't have to worry about who would be the best judge in Wichita. I will miss Dahl.

Ooops, sorry for starting a new thread. Just woke up for the night job and was going to listen to the podcast, when I got upset about not having Dave!!!
                    Last edited by tropicalshox; November 8, 2011, 01:00 PM.
                    In the fast lane

Comment

I wish he could continue to do the games, but I understand his desire to become a judge. Thanks, Dave, for all your work on Shocker radio.
                      "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                        http://www.knssradio.com/Dahl-leaves...casts/11412454

Faith Maughan is lucky I don't vote in Wichita cause she sure wouldn't get it by causing Dave not to to be on the air. Of course I don't have to worry about who would be the best judge in Wichita. I will miss Dahl.

Ooops, sorry for starting a new thread. Just woke up for the night job and was going to listen to the podcast, when I got upset about not having Dave!!!
                        No problem Trop.

And I agree, it seems a bit ridiculous that she wouldn't let him do the games. Seems like a really bad PR move on her part.
                        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I wonder if Judge Dahl will hand down his verdicts with the same flair as his keys to the game. They were always very corny, but I loved them. As someone who only gets to see a live game every couple of years, I will really miss Dave.
                          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Change is good, and this is for a good reason! He's movin' on up!
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Do any of you think we will get to hear Dave Dahl's - "Keys to the Court's Decision"

1. Instead of the "this zone defense is crazy" - it will be the "the insanity defense is crazy".

2. Instead of "easy come easy go" - it will be "do not pass go, go directly to jail".

3. Instead of "fly high but keep both feet on the ground" - it will be - "show up to my court again on drugs and your in big trouble".

4. Instead of "a good pass is a terrible thing to waste" - it will be - "here comes the Judge, don't waste my time!"

5. Instead of "will the shockers rise-up- it will be - "will the defendent please rise".

Comment

Working...
                              X