X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Legislator: Donors should pay for UConn AAC exit" - ESPN

By Associated Press
    Posted: 08/01/19, 12:42 PM CT

The top Republican in the Connecticut Senate wants private donors to pick up the cost of UConn's departure from the American Athletic Conference.

"HARTFORD, Conn. -- The top Republican in the Connecticut Senate wants private donors to pick up the cost of UConn's departure from the American Athletic Conference. Senate Minority Leader Len Fasano wrote on Thursday to the school's new president, Tom Katsouleas, urging him to have the UConn Foundation pick up $20.5 million tab and not students or taxpayers.

That figure includes UConn's $17 million exit fee to the American and a $3.5 million entrance fee to rejoin the Big East for the 2020-21 school year. The exit fee must be paid in full by 2026. UConn has said it plans to use the school's share of American revenue from 2019 and 2020 to help pay the fee, along with money generated from sources such as athletics, dining, housing, and parking."

Stop.JPG

Comment

• I guess they don't have any herds of cows in Connecticut.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Cdizzle
        Cdizzle commented
        Editing a comment
        Gold.

• https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/2...ts-coronavirus

That bad "leaving" decision is being amplified by COVID. Luckily for Uconn, COVID is masking the crappy football program for now.

I've read reports that schools if they play football in the fall, will limit their schedules to conference foes only. "Ouch," says independent Uconn football! :)

Comment

• I heard they are dropping 4 sports to meet their budget.
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
          I heard they are dropping 4 sports to meet their budget.
          Per the article, I think they are dropping 4 sports to help meet their goal of reducing the school subsidy to the athletic department by 25% In other words, they need to reduce the subsidy by 10 million. The school contributes 42 million to the athletic department per year. I believe there is also a 15% cut across the board for the athletic department to aid in the subsidy reduction.

Comment

• UConn is in the same situation as the schools in the MVC who tanked that conference because their athletic departments couldn't spend any money. Somehow Hinson at SWOMO was able to put together competitive teams with players from generally no more than about 100 miles from Springfield. The joke was that his recruiting budget was measured in tanks of gas.

I'm getting the feeling that losing UConn will be a plus for the AAC and a negative for both the NewBigEast and the UConn athletic department.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
            X