No announcement yet.

UCONN gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the AAC implodes, WSU will obviously suffer. But still better to have some years out of the valley to give our profile a boost. My biggest fear is that we are just destined to be left without a chair, regardless of what we do. It was just a matter of time. I hope thats not the case.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      It will be the case unless we are a serious national power again. We need to be hitting Final Fours and competing for championships or we will be left on the dust heap. I mean, look at UCONN; all those national championships, major football, and not a single top conference wanted them? How much less would we be wanted when the "Great Separation" occurs? With D1 football we can at least move with our AAC buddies to the New (weaker) Big 12. Without football we are totally screwed.

And there is ZERO chance on planet earth that the AAC will pull from the remaining members in the Big 12. The conference brands are not even comparable. The remaining members of the Big 12 will draw from the top programs in the AAC to build it back up to 10-12 teams. Houston, Cincy, SMU, and Memphis are insta-gone.

We are doomed unless The Pee wants to expand their pool of teams.

E
      N
      D

O
      F

S
      T
      O
      R
      Y

T

...:cool:

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess there's always the possibility that football is banned in America due to CTE and all collegiate programs simultaneously disband....................

That would be good for us.

*rolls eyes*

T

...:cool:

• Rocky Mountain Shock
      Rocky Mountain Shock commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a scenario in which the AAC could survive and the Big 12 doesn't. If OU and UT bolt, other desirable members of the Big 12 may decide it's best to join other P5 conferences instead of sticking with a Big 12 that will command much less money than it currently does. WVU, KU, OSU, and one other may leave. That leaves the Big 12 with just four, and at that point you may see a merger between the Big 12 leftovers and the American, with another school added, to create a 16 team league.

Then you have a true P5, and while the AAC would be the weakest of the 5, at least it has a seat at the table.

• 12 Reasons why UCONN will regret the New Big East.

https://medium.com/@stholeary/12-rea...t-6a90b9a00043

Comment

• Shoxthemonkey
      Shoxthemonkey commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a good article and makes many great points. BUT, I wish he would drop the "zombie Big East" schtick. While it could be a true statement it makes it seem like the author is just a disgruntled fan with a hardon.

• Bluzrover
      Bluzrover commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with many of his points, particularly the national footprint aspect of a major conference. And I agree with Shoxthemonkey, the "zombie Big East" reference distracted from his points, many of which were valid. I have no idea if the lack of a football program is going to be the death of Wichita State in the future but I'm pretty sure trying to build a program from scratch and compete on a national level is fool's gold.

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Unless someone donates $100 million... I know, I know, 'money can't buy you love', but it's worth a try and running up the flag pole. It's simply a shame that there isn't anyone in the community with this kind of spare change. :) The City of Wichita is realizing (only the tip of the iceberg) the value of Wichita State to the community... do they want the momentum to continue? If so, they better stay involved... the 'All-American City' needs a powerful/prominent Wichita State.

The Beatles performing “Can't Buy Me Love.”‘Can’t Buy Me Love’ entered the UK singles’ chart at No.8 and the following week it knocked ‘Little Children‘ by B...

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
    If the AAC implodes, WSU will obviously suffer. But still better to have some years out of the valley to give our profile a boost. My biggest fear is that we are just destined to be left without a chair, regardless of what we do. It was just a matter of time. I hope thats not the case.
    At any point in the future the Valley would on their hands and knees begging us to come back if anything the AAC blew up. They tried to act like they didn't need us when we left but then they had 2 x 1 bid seasons including the lowest seed for the Valley in decades. So absolute worst case scenario is back to where we started. So I'm not real concerned.

Comment

• Thanks for posting this; captures my thinking but with added UConn fan knowledge.

Comment

• The move sure does make zero sense in terms of their football aspirations...
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Yeah, this seems like the type plan that was hatched by a drunken night in Billy's garage remembering the good 'ol days! It's the equivalent of us going back to the MVC because we miss the battles with Tulsa and Creighton, WTF? This only makes sense if they're sending football out to pasture which it will with the after thought it was given in this change. Any chance they'll just send us their football department? I know it ain't great but better than starting a zero, uh? (I know there is no way in hell we can bring back football without weighing down our other successful departments plus Kansas has a hard enough time supporting 2 DI programs, 3 would be beyond tough, we're not a football hot bed by any stretch. For comparison Missouri has 2.5x the population and 1 D1 program that flirts with national relevance every 10 years or so I just don't see it and the fallout of football controlling college athletics is scary has a diehard Shocker)
          If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• This isn't good. ESPN has the right to renegotiate TV deal now that Uconn is leaving AAC.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/esp...onference.html

Comment

• Yeah you can always renegotiate. Especially if you have the right clause in your contract. BUT , it sure looks like ESPN was trying to protect itself if one of the football power teams of the conference left. Understandable since football drives a lot of these issues. But UCONN ain't no football power. LOL That one UCONN fan made a great point. How the heck is UCONN going to thrive as an independent in football. Heck even Notredame struggles sometime.

Let's wait and see how this plays out. Heck UCONN does not even carrying their weight in basketball. They have history but that's all they seem to have these days. Goodridance.I like the AD from Navy comment. We want schools that want to be apart of this league.

Comment

• Comment

• Steeleshocker
                Steeleshocker commented
                Editing a comment
                So would this be for the 19-20 school year or later? That part has never been clear to me.

• Consider if the Big East and AAC merge into a single conference, with two geographic or two relegation divisions.

1 + 1 = 3

The new conference would absolutely thrive in that scenario.
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                How many teams in the current Big East don't have football?

• Steeleshocker
                Steeleshocker commented
                Editing a comment
                All of them, except now UCONN.

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                So what will UConn do?

• UConn's football troubles started smoldering about 8 years ago when UConn booster Bob Burton (head of Cenveo and Burton Capital Management) wanted some of his $,$$$,$$$.$$ back from the U of Conn because he didn't feel they were heading in the right direction. Quote from the Hartford COurant paper from the day stated:

"All the money in the world cannot buy class. All the money in the world cannot buy maturity, dignity or a sense of priority. If there's even a smidgeon of doubt about this in your mind, take a few minutes and read Robert Burton's six-page letter to UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway.

Then go take a shower.

If the UConn athletic department, if those who run the university, if those in Connecticut government who tower over higher education cave into this petulant child in any way, well, here's a word of advice:

Shut down the UConn football program: ........................."

And that was 8 years ago.

Comment

• Forgot Perkins was AD at UConn. I wouldn't let that dude in the same county if you want a successful football program.

WSU
                Maryland
                ​​​​​​UConn
                KU

Football powerhouses.

Comment

• Never go full UConn.

Comment

• wichshock65
                    wichshock65 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now that's funny!

• I like this move. Split the pie fewer ways. Hoping we stay at 11. Geography just got tighter and the conference lost the 9th place team last year.
                  10 out of 12 programs were Top 100 NET.
                  UConn just hasn’t been successful in the AAC.
                  I’m hoping we don’t add anyone. The only 2 teams out of the NET Top 100, Tulane and ECU, both hired really good coaches (Hunter & Dooley) and are both recruiting very well!
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• mattdalt
                    mattdalt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    UCONN hasn’t been successful unless they were cheating

• Has UConn had any success outside of Jim Calhoun's influence (legal or otherwise, before or after)? Ollie won the NC with Calhoun's players.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                    Cdizzle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, before. But not elite. I liked reading UConn fans saying WSU was good, but they didn't want to share a conference because WSU is nothing without Marshall. Ummmmmmm....pot/kettle. It's always a risk.
                Working...
                X