UCONN gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zubcut View Post

I'm not the one dreaming it up. I linked to the article. I don't know how much of it is realistic, but I do know it is already a conversation that is happening and not just on fan message boards.
    And how do you know that? By random articles from "busting brackets"?

Comment

m
      Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Who said we are trying to get to a better league. We lost the 8th place team. AAC will be fine
      I just think you better be proactive. Southern Miss used to be in Conference USA with Cincy, Depaul, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, TCU and Houston. They are still in C-USA but now with Marshall, Rice, UTEP, FAU, La Tech, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Old Dominion, Texas-San Antonio, Western Kentucky. You get my point

Comment

• StunningSteve
        StunningSteve commented
        Editing a comment
        Southern Miss got priced out of the conversation when the new media deal was struck.

m

I just think you better be proactive. Southern Miss used to be in Conference USA with Cincy, Depaul, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, TCU and Houston. They are still in C-USA but now with Marshall, Rice, UTEP, FAU, La Tech, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Old Dominion, Texas-San Antonio, Western Kentucky. You get my point
      No I don't get your point. But go on.

Comment

I've heard Big 10 wants Cincy and Big 12 wants Houston.[/URL]
        Buzzcut, this is why it's worthless to continue conversations with fans like you.

You don't have any awareness of why certain puzzle pieces don't go together.

Or, perhaps you do, but you try and force them together in your posts anyway, to try and make people think you're Cliff Claven.

Either way, pass the beer nuts.

Comment

And how do you know that? By random articles from "busting brackets"?
          It's common knowledge that those schools have always felt they are too good for the AAC. Don't act like you don't know that. UConn was just the first to get a life line. The others are just waiting and looking. The majority of their fan boards are all about getting out and finding a better league. Just like we were when we were in the Valley. When it gets loud enough from the alumni and the boosters, things usually happen. WSU is the poster child for this. I'm thinking we should be acting like them instead of Tulane and ECU.

Comment

• StunningSteve
            StunningSteve commented
            Editing a comment
            Too good?? I think you're spinning the fact that everyone would love to be paid 50 million dollars, like Alabama.

That's not happening.

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Big East is meh. WSU doesn’t fit there. Given the choice between them or AAC, I would choose AAC.

if I was going to have my dream conference move it would be the big 12, but that isn’t happening.
          Agree 100%.

President Bardo's vision of the I-35 corridor holds true now more than ever, with the Conference offices (and tournament) headed to the metroplex for the near future.

I think the league is growing toward Wichita State, which is good with baseball now getting ramped up.

We'll all just have to see how it unfolds.

If a baseball school doesn't get added, I wonder if anyone would advocate for DBU as an affiliate - since they are going to be local to the conference office.

Baseball is going to be fun to follow now that we will have access to every game on ESPN.

Comment

It's common knowledge that those schools have always felt they are too good for the AAC. Don't act like you don't know that. UConn was just the first to get a life line. The others are just waiting and looking. The majority of their fan boards are all about getting out and finding a better league. Just like we were when we were in the Valley. When it gets loud enough from the alumni and the boosters, things usually happen. WSU is the poster child for this. I'm thinking we should be acting like them instead of Tulane and ECU.
            This wasn’t a “life line” in any way. What an intellectually retarded take. UCONN is scuttling their football program, trying to save an overall athletic program that is possibly in the worst shape out of the top 7 or 8 conferences, and going to a league that will pay them less money. All so they can save money in travel and renew relationships with old flames.

I don’t blame them for the move, but it is a move of desperation and sentimentality, not some huge invite. The offer was reportly always there for them. They finally said eff it lets step back our athletic program and go back home to the neighborhood.

The BE does a lot with very little money and small alumni and fan bases. If WSU were in the BE we would have a top half athletic budget. I forget the actual numbers because I haven’t bothered to look them up in a while, but on average BE schools spend like mid-majors. Objective, quantitative fact. Some exceptions obviously, but not much.

Comment

• KraRam
              KraRam commented
              Editing a comment
              You Big East Ave Budget $9.5M/team
              1. Villanova $14,791,481
              2. Georgetown $12,849,462
              3. Marquette $12,094,572
              4. Providence $10,768,267
              5. Creighton $9,017,209
              6. St John's $8,321,657
              7. Xavier $8,062,088
              8. DePaul $7,080,194
              9. Seton Hall $6,301,138
              10. Butler University $5,507,238

Per Mark Adams

• KraRam
              KraRam commented
              Editing a comment
              WSU comes in at 6.3 and UCON 9.5 million

• SHOCKvalue
              SHOCKvalue commented
              Editing a comment
              WSU MBB earned $8.1M and spent $7.5M according to the latest Equity in Athletics figures. WSU overall AD earned $32M and spent $30M according to same.

Looked it up earlier today when the topic was at hand.

You know I was talking about overall AD spending, not MBB, right?

EDIT:

AD Revenues:

Nova - $49M
              Georgetown - $40M
              Providence - $41M
              Marquette - $36M
              SJU - $34M
              DePaul $31M
              Butler - $30M
              Creighton - $26M
              Seton Hall - $23M
              Xavier - $22M

So I was off by one spot. Add the new ESPN deal into our revenue total and we’d have the 5th highest AD revenues out of that group.

Like I said, outside a few old, carry-over BE members, the new BE is a bunch of paper tigers, fiscally-speaking. Certainly a mis-match as compared to their bravado and ego.
              Last edited by SHOCKvalue; June 23, 2019, 06:28 PM.

Mixed emotions for me; AAC cannot replace the National Championships of UCONN Mens and Women's basketball. However, at present time UCONN MBB is lower tier AAC and can easily be replaced with superior teams - my top three could be's are VCU, Dayton and Davidson. Army football would be a move up and travel costs would be reduced for all conference schools. Bottom line is UCONN departure will not prove harmful to the AAC, in fact this could parallel improvement of Shocker MBB roster with Josaphat's replacement of Teddy.

Comment

• Dark Lord
              Dark Lord commented
              Editing a comment
              Davidson? Are you serious? Dayton is still waiting to be number 12 in the Big East along with Saint Louis.

VCU/Army would probably be the best case scenario.
              Buffalo wouldn't be horrible.

Outside of that I do not think there would be, or should be, any rush to fill in. Maybe take a wait and see approach with a few less sexy names that offer some quality in both major sports.

So you know this by feelings and the talk of message boards. Got it.

Comment

Zub the Big 12 passed on all of those schools 2 years ago when they were searching for expansion candidates. Google the Big 12 expansion and you will discover how unlikely any of the Schools of which you are concerned will be invited to join a Power 5 conference.

IMO leaving the AAC for the Big East is not a life line for UCONN; unless you are speaking of eliminating football and reducing their athletic budget deficits while renewing old rivalries.

Comment

After all the trash talk when we left...

With UConn leaving to go to the Big East there will be an opening in the AAC Should Bradley make a pitch? - There might never be a better time to consider a move with Bradley coming off their best year in a decade. I realize the AAC is largely football members, but maybe having another non-FB member to go with Wichita will

Comment

• Shocker1976
                  Shocker1976 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unaware that Bradley had returned to "big time sports."

• Stickboy46
                  Stickboy46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Didn't you see their big 15 seed in the tourney???

After all the trash talk when we left...

https://www.bradleyfans.com/forum/sp...another-member
                Facepalm3.jpg

Comment

I thought they were having a pretty reasonable discussion. The moderator guy is definitely in touch with the reality of their difficult situation. Others are big dreamers, but hey, so were we 10 years ago and it eventually worked out for us. I kind of feel bad for them knowing what they’re up against.

Comment

• OregonShocker
                    OregonShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The biggest difference I see is that over that 10 years we put up the numbers to justify the move. Bradley? Still waiting. One year does not a trend make...

What a total disaster.

This is a preemptive move prior to the Big 12's GOR expiring. Good for UCONN.

We need football started ASAP or we'll be looking at an MVC-level conference in about 6 years.

Losing Teddy and now losing UCONN... FML

T

...:cool:

Comment

UCONN wants to go back to abusing the dregs of the Old (real) Big East lol. Go get 'em!

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                    X