No announcement yet.

2019-20 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking college basketball's seven most surprising teams so far this season - CBS Sports

by Kyle Boone
    posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 4:35 pm ET

"No one predicted San Diego State and Auburn would be undefeated at this point in the season.

The first 10 weeks of the college basketball season has given us a large-enough sample size to begin formulating overarching opinions on the state of the sport. This season has been a revolving door for upsets -- particularly with No. 1-ranked teams, with six different programs holding the top spot. Still, the cream of the crop has slowly risen to the top of the landscape with Gonzaga. Duke, Kansas and others. On the opposite end of the spectrum, others have dive-bombed comparative to preseason expectations.

Among the big surprises are the only two undefeated teams in the sport entering the week: San Diego State and Auburn. Combined, they have a 28-0 record -- and that's despite SDSU entering the season unranked. Both are top-10 teams as of this week as conference play ramps up.

What other teams have been the biggest pleasant surprises this season? Let's dive in.

1. San Diego State...
    2. Auburn...
    3. Wichita State
    The Shockers took a step back last season, winning only 22 games with a young and inexperienced roster. That allowed Gregg Marshall to groom his club for a step forward this season, and it's been a bigger leap than expected. They're 13-1 on the season with two wins over Big 12 programs, a win over an SEC program and a home win over VCU. Things are going shockingly well. They're in line to get back to the NCAA Tournament for the second time since arriving in the AAC and should be considered, at the very least, a co-favorite to win the conference outright.
    4. Butler...
    5. Florida State...
    6. Penn State...
    7. Arkansas..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Her exact words were Stop turning the ball over at the free throw line. JB responded by going 3-3. Shockernet, Dan, Fever, and Shotckles are so valuable to Shocker Nation. If I left off anyone else who deserve credit, I apologize. Keep on.
      Ok. LOL I will give you that one. That is funny.

Comment

Her exact words were Stop turning the ball over at the free throw line. JB responded by going 3-3. Shockernet, Dan, Fever, and Shotckles are so valuable to Shocker Nation. If I left off anyone else who deserve credit, I apologize. Keep on.
        What about his team-leading 4 turnovers?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

What about his team-leading 4 turnovers?
          Do you not like his play-style, or what? Trying to figure out your JB hate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Do you not like his play-style, or what? Trying to figure out your JB hate.
            I don’t hate anybody. Somebody popped off at free throw smack as if that’s the only thing JB struggles with.

I feel like he forces things too much and his shot selection is less than ideal. Certainly not the only player with this issue. And he turns the ball over a lot in the lane. Just loose handles but he continues to do it. And then when initiates contact he misses more free throws than he makes. Not a good strategy.

I like his game better when he’s under control. He’s an asset when he’s not turning the ball over.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• OK, so play-style. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.

Comment

I don’t hate anybody. Somebody popped off at free throw smack as if that’s the only thing JB struggles with.

I feel like he forces things too much and his shot selection is less than ideal. Certainly not the only player with this issue. And he turns the ball over a lot in the lane. Just loose handles but he continues to do it. And then when initiates contact he misses more free throws than he makes. Not a good strategy.

I like his game better when he’s under control. He’s an asset when he’s not turning the ball over.
                I don't mind the mistakes that JB gives up as opposed to someone like SHJ because the good far outways the bad with JB. Plus the Shox have a Sherfield to turn to if JB needs to sit. Last year it was SHJ and not much else behind him.

Comment

• Last year we moved JB to the point and we started winning ball games.

Comment

• JB is doing well this year. His shooting percentage is good from 2 (49%) and really good from 3 (50%). His rebounding is good as a guard (almost 4 per game). His defense is in my opinion, at least close to elite. His Assists are better than a 2:1 ratio to his turnovers, and his free throw percentage is improving (up from 48 to 55% last game). He’s not perfect but he is really good. I won’t change Fev’s mind but there aren’t many statistics that support his personal viewpoint.

Comment

JB is doing well this year. His shooting percentage is good from 2 (49%) and really good from 3 (50%). His rebounding is good as a guard (almost 4 per game). His defense is in my opinion, at least close to elite. His Assists are better than a 2:1 ratio to his turnovers, and his free throw percentage is improving (up from 48 to 55% last game). He’s not perfect but he is really good. I won’t change Fev’s mind but there aren’t many statistics that support his personal viewpoint.
                      I can get behind this. JB can be better though. He’s much more explosive than he exhibits in games. At some point, I expect him to start getting above the rim like Cotton and less falling down in the lane like McDuffie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

I can get behind this. JB can be better though. He’s much more explosive than he exhibits in games. At some point, I expect him to start getting above the rim like Cotton and less falling down in the lane like McDuffie.
                        I will admit to being a big critic of Burton’s shooting from 3 last year. He was really bad from 3 (the team was really bad from 3) last year. He obviously worked hard on it. I really think his ability to take smaller guards inside is a strength if he can bring his free throw percentage up from now on. I think he’s capable of 70%+ from the line. I really like his versatility as a guard.

I also love Sherfield and Tyson’s potential to be Elite shooters. I think they are capable of shooting 45% from 3 where I’m not sure that JB will end up above 40%. But together, we have a good number of guards with skills that compliment each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          Last year we moved JB to the point and we started winning ball games.
                          Last year JB was a 70% FT shooter.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

JB is doing well this year. His shooting percentage is good from 2 (49%) and really good from 3 (50%). His rebounding is good as a guard (almost 4 per game). His defense is in my opinion, at least close to elite. His Assists are better than a 2:1 ratio to his turnovers, and his free throw percentage is improving (up from 48 to 55% last game). He’s not perfect but he is really good. I won’t change Fev’s mind but there aren’t many statistics that support his personal viewpoint.
                            Is there a statistic out there that keeps track of bad shots?

He does lead the team in turnovers.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Burton's D is starting to really stand out, which is really saying something considering he plays on a team known for outstanding D.

Comment

Is there a statistic out there that keeps track of bad shots?
                                Not that I have seen.

It's hard to shoot 50% & 48%; especially as a perimeter player with above average usage rate at the high D1 level.

What percentage of his shots are considering bad?

Either you're confusing contested/difficult with bad or you're saying he would be an all-time elite NCAA shooter (and 1st round draft pick) if shot selection slightly improved.

Help me understand

Comment

Working...
                                X