X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Guess they didnt give the and 1.
    should have, though
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      At that point in the game a FT would have been meaningless and just extended the game. Fred would have 1 more point in his stats, but his butt would still hurt the same where he landed on it.

This was a must win for the Raptors and great to see FVV right in the middle of making this post season run by Toronto.

Let's not forget that the Warriors are playing without Durant (2017 and 2018 Finals MVP) all 3 games so far, Thompson (basically #2 in minutes and #3 in scoring) this last game, and Looney (#7 in minutes) for the series. I have a feeling that the Raptors will need to beat the Warriors with both Durant and Thompson back in the lineup before the series is over to win the Championship. Personally, I'd like to see that happen a couple of times. Otherwise, it will be like having an * behind the Championship.

Comment

• Steeleshocker
      Steeleshocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Meh, Golden State beat LeBron when Kyrie and Love were injured, and they didn't get an *.

Durant is a great player but the Warriors were winning championships before he got there. No asterisk is needed if the Raptors win.

Comment

The comment was made last night during the broadcast that the Warriors team on the court would not have even made the conference playoffs. That is a bit ridiculous, IMO, but I understand the sentiment. Down Thompson and Durant is huge.

Comment

• MikeKennedyRulZ
        MikeKennedyRulZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya, and if my aunt had a Johnson, she'd be my uncle. Just excuses. Injuries are a part of the game.

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        Did someone make excuses for anybody? I think we were just discussing roster strength, the odd comment about this team not making the playoffs and the irrelevance long term of who was or was not playing. No excuses from anyone, least of all GS.

• ShockdaWorld
        ShockdaWorld commented
        Editing a comment
        This shows the problem with building an all star starting five and not much of a bench. Livingston and Igudala are good players, but no longer the kind of guys that can be huge in the playoffs like an FVV or Ibaka or even Powell. I have zero sympathy for the Warriors. They are the ones that built their team around (4-5) allstars and no one else.

I think it is a bit ridiculous that people are making so many damn excuses for the Warriors. Maybe consider having more depth? Great teams have depth to withstand injuries. All of the excuse making makes me want to vomit.

Comment

• T.VuOP
        T.VuOP commented
        Editing a comment
        Is there any team that can win without 2 of the top 3 scorers?

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Again, I'm all Raptors, but your statement should hold for both teams. Warriors won game 2 in Toronto without Durant. Could the Raptors make the same statement without Leonard? How about without Fred? Yup, injuries are part of the game. But anyone who thinks that true competitors don't really care as long as they win are blowing smoke. You want to beat the best at their best. Yeah, you'll take that ring with a huge smile and all that comes with it, but you'll still wonder.

PS. Just how many teams in the NBA could really withstand that level of injuries? Get real. I want Fred to get that ring as much as anyone here, but if Durant and Thompson come back for the rest of the series and the Raptors still win it all, you're telling me it won't be more meaningful to Fred?

• Steeleshocker
        Steeleshocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Let's not forget that GS was still trotting out more All Stars onto the court even with their injuries.

My sympathy for a Super Team losing multiple superstars is nonexistent.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Aargh, I must have missed that we were playing a national title game/series. I also have a feeling almost no one knew how good Shamet would turn out to be or how good he might have been that year (after all, he did foul out in 10 minutes against the only quality opponent he faced). Guess I also missed that FVV was a high 1st round draft pick that immediately became a star in the NBA.

The regular season is a "grind". A team can consider themselves lucky if they don't have a serious or numerous injuries. Getting to and through a playoff/tournament to get to the end is another grind and many times, luck needs to be on your side. Getting to that point is a huge accomplishment all on its own.

Nevertheless, can you tell me if we get to a national championship game that you hope we're healthy and they're not just so we might have a better chance to win or would you rather hang that banner knowing our opponents were a full strength?

• WuShock16
        WuShock16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Romeo Langford was unavailable for Indiana’s game against us. Let’s take a look at WSU’s postgame locker room to see how badly 3G and crew felt about not playing against a full-strength IU squad to get to New York City.

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, they probably felt fortunate before the Indiana game, too, and I'm sure they felt a heck of a lot better than they did losing to Lipscomb. We're talking about an extended season quarter final NIT game and a Shocker team whose season looked dead in the water at 8-11/1-6. Getting to the NIT wasn't even on their radar at that time. This young of team should take every win they can get against any reasonably good team very highly.

Look, if you all think highly competitive athletes don't think about what I'm talking about, it's all good and well. I'm sure as heck not saying they still shouldn't think of their accomplishment as something very special and the bigger the game and the farther you go, the more special it is.

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
      Now where have I seen a FVV 3 like that before?
      That was almost identical to the one at the end of the first Kentucky game in the tourney. Same spot. Had a 7' guy coming at him to try to block it. This one went in. I didn't think he's miss if that situation ever came up again.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• another shocker
        another shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        that 3 pointer he nailed while a freshman vs gonzaga was an exact duplicate. gave the shockers a 70-65 lead with 1:26 left in the game.
        Last edited by another shocker; June 6, 2019, 06:50 PM.

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
      I’d be curious the last time a Shocker played this many minutes in the NBA finals.
      From Taylor Eldridge's article: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...231244033.html

VanVleet is the first Shocker to play in the NBA Finals in more than two decades, since Antoine Carr played with the Utah Jazz in the 1997 and 1998 NBA Finals.

In just three games, VanVleet (104) has already played in more minutes than any former WSU player in the Finals, surpassing Dave Stallworth, who played 98 minutes in seven games for the New York Knicks in 1970. VanVleet needs just seven points to pass Stallworth’s WSU record of 49 points scored in a Finals series.

Comment

Draymond Green will be the next Charles Barkley as an analyst. Dude is funny, honest and a bit polarizing-perfect combinations.

Im past the wait and see part. #23 needs to go in the rafters as the greatest PG in school history. I don’t even know who would be second, there is that much gap.

Oh and thanks Fred for giving me a great reason to watch the NBA in June.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Any body know off hand how long Carr and the X-Man waited?

• WuShock16
          WuShock16 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cliff’s number was put in the rafters in November 1998, and from what I can tell, he had to wait...maybe because of leaving early. I’ll keep looking for the others. That gives a baseline though.

I know its regular versus post season but the Raptors did go 2-0 against the Dubs this season. They beat a full Golden Stste roster in Oakland and were played without Leonard. 113-93. Im not saying Toronto would beat a full Gloden State roster in a best of seven, but they are sneaky good. And they do have home court so it's not like this is a 1 verses 8 seed.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          And that's the importance of a 7 game series. It tries to counter the 1 or 2 game outlier. Raps beat Dubs at GS without Leonard with GS at full strength in the regular season. Dubs beat the Raps at Toronto without Durant with Toronto full strength in the Finals.

• Kashman
          Kashman commented
          Editing a comment
          I understand the 7 have series vs a 1 or 2 game outlier. The point i was trying to make is that the Raptors are a really good team and just might have beaten the Dubs at full strength. I just don't think anyone has given any credit to how good Toronto is and it's only due to injuries as to why they are even in this series, much less leading it.

***edit***
          I looked up the Dubs record playing without Durant. 25-1 since he came to Oakland. In contrast, during the Steve Kerr coaching era, the Dubs are 254-47 with and as of Nov 2018, 21-19 without Curry.
          Last edited by Kashman; June 6, 2019, 10:08 PM.

Originally posted by Kashman View Post
        I know its regular versus post season but the Raptors did go 2-0 against the Dubs this season. They beat a full Golden Stste roster in Oakland and were played without Leonard. 113-93. Im not saying Toronto would beat a full Gloden State roster in a best of seven, but they are sneaky good. And they do have home court so it's not like this is a 1 verses 8 seed.
        Great point!!! That goes against the narrative being spewed that the raptors wins are somehow diminished because the whoreiors aren’t full strength.

They are to blame for not building depth. If they can’t withstand injuries they are not championship quality this year. Plain and simple.

Comment

• rrshock
          rrshock commented
          Editing a comment
          KD is out for game 4, so I guess we all will see how it goes with Thompson back and KD still out.

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, every NBA team has an all star, and most have two, or at least one and a potential. To make the playoffs, you have to have a superstar and one other, or two all star caliber players and a pretty legit third (usually a 4 or 5). But to make the finals,let alone win a championship, you need depth. Each starting 5 can duel with another, but when the second wave comes in is where the differences show up. Look at GS recently, San Antonio, and this year Toronto and my beloved Portland. Benches make the difference; consistent bences win 7 game series'.

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          Quite possible the Raptors have that sort of depth. They did win the championship with the 905.

fvv, the ultimate winner, actually has some nba talent behind him now. he did everything he could against notre dame (junior year) and miami (senior year) in college.. but he had no help.
        Last edited by another shocker; June 6, 2019, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Ouch. That seem pretty harsh...

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it is OregonShocker

• Windiwu
          Windiwu commented
          Editing a comment
          He had some nba talent with him back then too... He was hurt one year and the next year Landry was hurt. Ron and the rest of the cast were there.

No discussion about the pushing incident with the Warriors minority owner ?

Honestly, that kind of makes me happy.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Since there was none, but you brought it up...……………...

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          My bad.

Still, I'm glad it's not the hot topic that it seems to be so many other places. Can't watch a sports show the last 36 hours without hearing it. Glad it hasn't clogged what is a really fun time to be a Freddy fan.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
          X