2020 Big Man Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

We are likely to have the best collection of big men in the AAC outside of Memphis ... Cincy lost all their guys, Houston lost Brady, UCF lost Fall ...
    G****** right. AM has Paul Miller potential.

Two 6'10" plus guys who guard the paint? When has WSU ever been able to do that? Then, 2 more guys who are 6'8" plus, as well as 230+, who might be more skilled than the 2 6'10" plus guys? Throw in the juco recruit and that seems to me to be a pretty talented (and young) bunch. Now, include our "small forwards" to this collection...

These last 2 recruiting classes, with last years focusing on pivots, and this year's focusing on guards will be the building blocks for a good 3 year, at least to me it seems.

Comment

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      Lufile, Coleby, Carter, and Early made up a pretty potent front line. Had 5 guys on the team between 23-45 blocks.

• Dan
      Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Of that group, it was really Carter (undersized post) and Early (stretch 4). As for true big men, Lufile and Coleby were adequate, but JE and AM are better than they were, IMO.

• ShockingButTrue
      ShockingButTrue commented
      Editing a comment
      that was a great front line. I think the best one since the days of the bookends (look at the results).

This front line is the "biggest," and I'm not referring to just Big Show size. It's skilled, with something to offer, type size. It's "blueblood" type size.

In my opinion I think we will be more than ok if our big men continue to improve. All three JE, AM, IPBC, showed potential last year and had great showings in several games. MU had some good moments before he got hurt.

But, from what I have seen in videos on James Wiseman the shocks better show up ready to play Memphis. I can see why some project Wiseman as the number 1 draft choice. He has major skills but the thing that really got my attention was how this dude runs the court. For a 7ft player he can flat out run. I mean fast. Overall I think it is good our guys get to play against him. Let's go shocks and beat Memphis.

Comment

I ain't worried about Memphis.

They better worry about the Shocks...

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
        James Wiseman the shocks better show up ready to play Memphis. I can see why some project Wiseman as the number 1 draft choice. He has major skills but the thing that really got my attention was how this dude runs the court. For a 7ft player he can flat out run. I mean fast. Overall I think it is good our guys get to play against him.
        James Wiseman has Kevin Durant potential and that makes him special. How many 7 footers can run the court and have the potential to play defense and run the court like a guard. I haven't watched very much video on him because I just don't care but how complete of a player is he? If he is LeBron James ready for the NBA, it probably doesn't matter how ready we are to play him and that is why I think players need to be able to go professional right away after high school. Howver, how many times have we seen players with potential and rated very high fizz out and become a bench player in the NBA. We can't plan everything we do around one player. Wiseman is young, and probably has some flaws like most high school players. Very few have come out of high school dominating everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

James Wiseman has Kevin Durant potential and that makes him special. How many 7 footers can run the court and have the potential to play defense and run the court like a guard. I haven't watched very much video on him because I just don't care but how complete of a player is he? If he is LeBron James ready for the NBA, it probably doesn't matter how ready we are to play him and that is why I think players need to be able to go professional right away after high school. Howver, how many times have we seen players with potential and rated very high fizz out and become a bench player in the NBA. We can't plan everything we do around one player. Wiseman is young, and probably has some flaws like most high school players. Very few have come out of high school dominating everybody.
          I'm hearing Wiseman being more comparable to Anthony Davis than I am KD.
          "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

We are likely to have the best collection of big men in the AAC outside of Memphis ... Cincy lost all their guys, Houston lost Brady, UCF lost Fall ...
            I hope you are right, because if that is the case, we will win the AAC and probably be a top 5 seed in the tourney.

But I keep remembering missed bunnies and weak finishes.

Flashes were shown and good games were had, but when the bigs scored, it was because the offense got them good looks in a motion offense. It wasn't guys posting up, getting the ball and being able to score ala Shaq.

I will grant that we sucked at feeding the post last year in general, so I remain optimistic.

Just think, even with younguns at other positions we are more talented at guard and forward.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I hope you are right, because if that is the case, we will win the AAC and probably be a top 5 seed in the tourney.

But I keep remembering missed bunnies and weak finishes.

Flashes were shown and good games were had, but when the bigs scored, it was because the offense got them good looks in a motion offense. It wasn't guys posting up, getting the ball and being able to score ala Shaq.

I will grant that we sucked at feeding the post last year in general, so I remain optimistic.

Just think, even with younguns at other positions we are more talented at guard and forward.
              I wasn't trying to say they were going to be elite, but more to point out that there aren't a lot of quality big men returning in the AAC. Some teams are bringing in new guys, but it takes time to get settled. The only team bringing in new guys at the level to compete right away is memphis.

Comment

• Awesome Sauce Malone
                Awesome Sauce Malone commented
                Editing a comment
                What does Jaime have the most potential for? Also Jaime played 3/4's of the year with plantar fasciatis.

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe he has more potential than AM. He basically can do most everything as well or better than AM plus he has an outside shot (38% from 3). He did all this with questionable stamina, the foot problem, and forcing inside shots when they're not there. From what I saw, his ceiling is higher than AM. That's not saying AM cannot improve.

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                JE also hand the hand strength of a middle schooler. He has plenty to work on.

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
              I ain't worried about Memphis.

They better worry about the Shocks...
              LOL I like your sprit. A lot of teams better worry about the shocks. I think we're being underrated again. And I agree with isaneykaney. Wiseman is being compared more to Anthony Davis tham to Kevin Durant. But he and Memphis are not unbeatable. I think the shocks can win. Can't wait to see the matchups.

Comment

Wiseman reminds me more of Kevin Garnett than he does Durant or Davis.

Comment

From Big Man to Wise Man. I will show constraint (for once).
                  Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Not worried about Memphis until it is shown that they can play together. It's an incredible assemblage of talent on paper.

Comment

Wiseman will be a load, but he's not used to playing against the kind of posts and the depth of those guys that the Shox can throw at him. He might be slowed a little and hurting a little by the time Midtgaard and Echenique have each picked up 4 fouls against him.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Post players are a strength not a weakness. How good were they the last 1/3 of the year.

Comment

• another shocker
                          another shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          +1

'shockers front line really put it together in the second half of the season.
                      Working...
                      X