Washburn gives UNLV a scare.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washburn gives UNLV a scare.

This might very well be a scare for WSU's RPI when the season starts. UNLV escapes Washburn 58-50. :disturbed:

UNLV will be fine, didn't Arizona lose to a DII the other day. Anything can happen this early in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
      UNLV will be fine, didn't Arizona lose to a DII the other day. Anything can happen this early in the year.
      Arizona almost did it again last night. They were down by 11 to Humboldt State.

Comment

I wonder what the speed of the game was. I think UNLV's "theme" under their new coach is "run." 58 points doesn't really fit, maybe they were going slow trying not to give anything away.

Comment

From what I read on the UNLV message board, UNLV was trying to play at a fast pace, but

A) they turned the ball over 19 times and shot horribly - in fact, Washburn outscored them from the field but UNLV had a huge disparity in free throw points.

B) Washburn apparently really slowed the game down, i.e. worked the shot clock to under 10 seconds before getting into their offense.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I know that UNLV was missing one of their key players to suspension for this game, but another thing that has to be a little concerning is the fact that they had 4 of their starters play 31+ minutes. I'm sure they want to emphasize playing through fatigue as part of playing fast, but you figure that they will need to develop better depth than that.

All this being said, it was the first game with their new coach so some shakiness is to be expected. I still expect them to be a quality team when they come into Wichita.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Washburn are also historically no slouches. They've got a great coach and normally do pretty well. They made the tournament last year. They led KU much of the second half last year in Lawrence. They are super young this year though so I suppose they are a bit of an unknown.

Of course UNLV shooting 17% in the first half (0/8 from 3) surely didn't hurt.

Comment

This means absolutely nada. Syracuse lost to a cross town IIA team in exhibition a few years back and then went on to advance deep in the NCAA's.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                  This means absolutely nada. Syracuse lost to a cross town IIA team in exhibition a few years back and then went on to advance deep in the NCAA's.
                  You're referring to Syracuse's loss to Le Moyne 2 years ago. They ended the season by losing in the 1st round of the Big East Tournament. They were probably one of the worst 1 seeds the NCAA tournament has had in some time. Even with the 1 seed all they could do was beat a 16 seed and the worst team Gonzaga has sent to the tournament in 10 years. They lost to Butler in the Round of 16.

I was reading on the KU board last night...KU fans thinking they might to lose to Pitt St and using Syracuse as a reason for why it doesn't matter if they win or lose. But their version was even more exaggerated that yours...two posters were claiming Syracuse actually won the NCAA tournament that year. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                    I was reading on the KU board last night...KU fans thinking they might to lose to Pitt St and using Syracuse as a reason for why it doesn't matter if they win or lose. But their version was even more exaggerated that yours...two posters were claiming Syracuse actually won the NCAA tournament that year. LOL!
                    Normally I'd agree that losing wouldn't be that big a deal and it was certainly a possibility last night. Only playing 2 starters and having 5 scholarship guys total in the game is sort of scary even if the whole team didn't turn over in the off season. However, there is a very good chance that KU has a losing record here in about 3 weeks. Better take the wins while they can ;-)

Comment

Predicting they are going to lose Ft. Hays? Wow. I caught a little bit of their game against Pitt State last night. Every time they put the camera on the student section, those kids looked very worried. But then again, I don't care if all's they have is Danny Manning and 4 cheer leaders on the court subbing in, Pitt. State @ KU is A LOT different than Washburn @ UNLV. Where as, I would expect Danny Manning and 4 cheer leaders to be able to beat Pitt. State by 30.. And it's also good to see KU's season start so they can take their attention off Marshall. Even if UNLV is bad this year, I don't expect it to hurt WSU that bad, the non-conference schedule this year is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by owenc View Post
                        Normally I'd agree that losing wouldn't be that big a deal and it was certainly a possibility last night. Only playing 2 starters and having 5 scholarship guys total in the game is sort of scary even if the whole team didn't turn over in the off season. However, there is a very good chance that KU has a losing record here in about 3 weeks. Better take the wins while they can ;-)
                        and I think Pitt St is picked dead last in the conference this year... Washburn however is quite a bit better and could probably give more than a few D1 teams a run for their money.

Comment

Bob Chipman is the man. 70% lifetime.

Comment

I ain't makin' fun of nobody losing to DII opponents, lest we get Newman'd.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              I ain't makin' fun of nobody losing to DII opponents, lest we get Newman'd.
                              I believe that Washburn also plays Newman on their non-con.

Comment

Working...
                              X