• Show
Clear All

• Puerto Rico Tip-off Media Conference - Opponent Interviews

Alabama - http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=75655

Colorado - http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=75650

M
    aryland - http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=75653

ESPN Events - http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=75654
    Last edited by WuShock Reaper; November 1, 2011, 01:50 PM. Reason: Added ESPN Events Organizer

Turgeon (and Boyle) had a lot of fine comments in regards to WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Turgeon (and Boyle) had a lot of fine comments in regards to WSU.
      Specifically:

TIM SIMMONS: You have an interesting bracket to start with in Puerto Rico. Obviously you play Wichita State, which you saw back in New York. In the second round you either get Maryland, coached by Mark Turgeon, a former associate of yours, or Alabama. What do you think about your bracket?
      COACH BOYLE: Pretty interesting. Like you said, three of the four final four teams from the NIT are in it from last year, then one of my best friends. I'd rather not play Mark. But we'll just see where everything falls.
      Of course, I spent six years at Wichita State as an assistant coach when I was with Mark Turgeon there. There will be a lot of friends from Wichita that will be making the trip to Puerto Rico. It will be an interesting matchup for me personally.
      But I got a lot of respect for their program. Gregg Marshall has done a wonderful job there. It's a storied program.
      How can you not like Coach Boyle. Class act. (Not that I don't want to beat him soundly)
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Coach Boyle always impresses. One of my favorite coaches.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          Coach Boyle always impresses. One of my favorite coaches.
          I feel the exact same way. No matter where he's at, he'll have my support. And what he was able to do at UNC was impressive as well. The man knows what he's doing.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I feel the exact same way. No matter where he's at, he'll have my support. And what he was able to do at UNC was impressive as well. The man knows what he's doing.
            I personally think that Coach Turgeon took a real hit when Boyle moved out on his own. He's obviously restocked his assistant coaching reserves, but it was a real loss for Turg.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
              I personally think that Coach Turgeon took a real hit when Boyle moved out on his own. He's obviously restocked his assistant coaching reserves, but it was a real loss for Turg.
              Wichita State took a real hit when Boyle left.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Tad deserved to have the job promised to him if and when Mark left WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Tad deserved to have the job promised to him if and when Mark left WSU.
                  I can't argue against that. I love 3G but running Boyle off was a poor move
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I don't know if he was run off but I'm sure the AD was looking at the fiasco with Fogler/Cohen and was a little gunshy to promise a job to the assistant. I too believe the program started to suffer when Tad left. He seems to be a good man.

Comment

Rest of the Interviews - Including Marshall's take on Sunday's scrimmage

ASAPSports FastScripts, a system using state-of-the-art technology created to produce verbatim FastScripts of press conferences and player/team interviews at sporting events around the globe.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        I can't argue against that. I love 3G but running Boyle off was a poor move
                        I didn't know any of the players involved like you guys do so I can offer a much more distant and less personal view point of it.

That position is a very highly compensated position and I think we owe it to the fans writing the checks to have a thorough search for the absolute best candidate you can hire at the time when you need to hire one. Not to say there isn't a such thing as loyalty, but you have to do the search, IMO.

And if a guy with 7 of 9 NCAA appearances shows up on the radar and you can afford and attract him, I don't see how you can promise the job to an assistant (even an uber-assistant like Boyle was). I'm not saying you don't interview the assistant and I am not saying you auto-hire the guy with 7 NCAA appearances, but I do think that search really is warranted.

Thoughts?
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Others may know more precisely than I do what was said to Boyle, but this is my take:

Promising an assistant the job is probably a mistake (as @Kung Wu: points out). Likewise telling an assistant he won't be considered is equally a mistake.

If the latter is what happened to Tad (as I said, others here may know the specifics) it was a mistake.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

The latter is what happened @The Mad Hatter:

He was told he wouldn't get a shot and had no reason to stay when another job opened up.

If/when 3G leaves, I'm pretty sure Coach Jans is going to get consideration and he should. The same should have happened with Boyle.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

That was my impression @SubGod22: but I didn't want to assert it without definitive knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                              X