Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puerto Rico Tip-off media conference - Marshall interview

http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=75657

Includes some comments about the scrimmage with UT-Arlington.

Key quotes from my perspective:

Regarding EO: the 7' kid we've had in the program a couple years is starting to develop. Practices he's looked good. Unfortunately when we've gone live in scrimmages or inner squad, he hasn't looked as good. In practices, he's shown glimpses of being a really good player. (Good to hear that EO is making strides in practice, but it remains to be seen whether or not that will eventually translate to effective performance in live action.)

Regarding Ron Baker: of the freshmen maybe a kid that we're going to redshirt, Ron Baker from Western Kansas has really played well, shot the ball. He's going to be a very good player. (Is HC3G waivering on the decision to redshirt Ron -- my guess is he may be tempted but with our depth at guard this year, Ron will redshirt.)

Regarding Last Years Seniors: We lost four guys that were older, experienced guys. None of them were 22-year-old seniors. They were 23. Graham Hatch after his Mormon mission was 24. You can't replace that. You can't replace that experience and maturity. But we've got some talented guys coming back, especially in the backcourt. Murry and Kyles and Ragland, Williams, Smith. We have a lot of guys that have won a lot of games and know how to do that. You just have to replace the experience, size, toughness, and that will come in time I hope. (Have not really focused on how mature, both physically and mentally, last year's seniors were in term of age.)

Regarding Sunday's Scrimmage: We broke it down yesterday. We played 20 minutes, then 20 minutes, then as much as we could. We played like 47 minutes in the morning, 50 minutes in the afternoon. We won. But there were things we need to get better at. There's guys that played better than we thought. There were a couple of surprises, a couple of disappointments. We tried to play everyone. We did play everyone. But Murry was out because of the rib thing. They had a player out, as well. All in all I would give it a C plus, B minus.

No real surprises in any of this. Sounds like things are going OK, not great, but OK. Even if it was going great 3G wouldn't say so. About what I would expect at this point. No question we have some work to do to be where we want to be. Good to hear that Joe apparently played in Sunday's scrimmage.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 1, 2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=75657

Includes some comments about the scrimmage with UT-Arlington.
      RoyalShock,

Thanks that was great. Also, I am going to add the Alabama, Colorado, and Maryland interviews.

WuShock Reaper

Comment

HCGM... "We lost a lot, 6'8", 6,9" plus Graham Hatch, who was a man."

Do you think HCGH is missing GH more and more with each passing day & practice?

I still laugh at the individuals on SN who had zero understanding of his importance to last years team.

The big question - Who replaces the leadership and mental toughness he provided?
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Regarding Ron Baker: of the freshmen maybe a kid that we're going to redshirt, Ron Baker from Western Kansas has really played well, shot the ball. He's going to be a very good player. (Is HC3G waivering on the decision to redshirt Ron -- my guess is he may be tempted but with our depth at guard this year, Ron will redshirt.)
          I think that the "maybe" was in reference to him maybe being the best of the freshman, not maybe him redshirting.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
            I think that the "maybe" was in reference to him maybe being the best of the freshman, not maybe him redshirting.
            Could very well be. Put a comma after maybe and that's how you would read it. Put a comma after freshmen would give it a different meaning. In any case, I expect Baker to redshirt.

Comment

I hope we don't get off to a slow start this season...those early games are going to be so important for a number of reasons. I hope our seniors are ready to make an impact on the newcomers.

Comment

Working...
              X