Who Would You Pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Would You Pick?

Let me preface this question with this: I don't ever want Coach Marshall to leave, nor am I implying he should. Just making this post out of curiousity and for conversation's sake.

With the Penny hire last year to Memphis and now Coach Howard at Michigan, as well as others in the past, it's interesting seeing players return to their college roots as coaches. With that being said, if you had your pick, which former Shocker player would you choose as a potential coach for our beloved Shockers? Bonus points if you explain why.
    "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Tom Kosich

"Is da caller there???"

knucklehead

REAL answer....Fred....when he's done...

Comment

• BOBB
      BOBB commented
      Editing a comment
      Kosich - proof that if you are white, tall and cool you can fail upward for a long time

That's an interesting question. Matt Brauer is on that track. Plus, he grew up in a coaching family, was a point guard that understood the game, and has had multiple assistant coaching stops through the years. I could see him being an option way down the road once GM retires at the age of 102.

Comment

Were that hypothetical to happen tomorrow, our realistic options would be far less impressive, due to age, coaching experience, and any number of other factors.

There’s a pretty small pool of schools where this idea works.

Comment

I would almost never select a former Shocker who was a great player here unless they had an ample coaching resume. Many times, what makes a player great also jades them because their natural instincts and/or abilities were innate, which leads to frustration as a coach that their players can't do the same things. I would never want Michael Jordan or Magic Jonnson coaching a basketball team.

Matt Brauer is probably the most viable option at this point, and Fred would have to get a lot of coaching experience under his belt before I'd feel comfortable with him.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

These other programs are bringing in former players to land burger boys. That's probably not going to work here.

Comment

Best answer right now: Matt Brauer

Best answer if stars align: Freddy

Possible other answers if stars align: JR Simon, Zach Bush

Most realistic answer: Nobody, for all the reasons (and more) others stated above. Players play, coaches coach. I want someone with a lot of coaching experience, not necessarily a lot of playing experience.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

probably Angie Dickinson

Comment

I wonder if Ron will get into coaching when he decides to be done with playing. If so, I think he could be successful at it. (Heck, he'll be successful at whatever he does because he's Ron Freaking Baker.)

Not a "player," but maybe "Coach Marshall" could come back to be head coach at Wichita State in the future...meaning, Kellen.
                78-65

Comment

Ron Baker
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

If I had to pick today, it would be John Cooper. Even though his second head coaching job didn't work out well, he has much more experienced than Matt and at big time schools. He's been an assistant at South Carolina, Oregon, Auburn, and now Okie St. His connections to prep and high school coaches should also be much greater than Matt's.

As far as the future, who knows. We've talked about Penny's lack of experience, but Fred and Ron? We have no idea what the future holds for them or what they may want to do. Matt, JR, and Zach have a very long way still to go.

A local player that didn't play at WSU that I like (a lot) is Jamall Walker. He has virtually no head coaching experience, but very qualified IMHO.

Comment

Paul Wight

Comment

Hooper.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                          I wonder if Ron will get into coaching when he decides to be done with playing. If so, I think he could be successful at it. (Heck, he'll be successful at whatever he does because he's Ron Freaking Baker.)

Not a "player," but maybe "Coach Marshall" could come back to be head coach at Wichita State in the future...meaning, Kellen.
                          Goodness, no

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                            Hooper.
                            Got me...and I agree....:)

Comment

Working...
                            X