Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

37% Income Tax Rate on Basketball Scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37% Income Tax Rate on Basketball Scholarships?

I know the article is from the NY Times, and I know that publication is negative toward Republican policies, but according to this article, scholarships for anything other than tuition is taxed as high as 37%. The article specifically states athletic scholarships are subject to the tax, which would tax books, room and board, laundry money, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/u...D1Ty955tDMrtsw
    Last edited by Aargh; May 19, 2019, 07:00 AM.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Government loves stealing as much money as it can get away with.
    The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Lord View Post
      Government loves stealing as much money as it can get away with.
      Gotta pay for all the freebies and for the riches of legislators.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

But I thought the new tax law was great and Trump could do no wrong. Was I deceived??? Gasp, no way.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
          But I thought the new tax law was great and Trump could do no wrong. Was I deceived??? Gasp, no way.
          Right on one, wrong on two.
          Livin the dream

Comment

*just wakes up*

Trump? What? Who? Is it 2020 yet? *Starts stretching out voting arm in preparation to steroid-yank it in The Trumpster's favor.

GD if that portly old man ain't makin' this country great... AGAIN.

Meanwhile... The Dims can't be bothered with silly matters like GDP, immigration, and rogue nations... they're too busy pandering to the legion of intersectional pronouns operating out of mama's basement.

CB OUT!

T

...:cool:

Comment

Uh, guys, I tried to make a thread pointing out that basketball players on scholarship have to pay taxes on their scholarships. That affects WSU basketball.

That was probably an oversight or unintended consequence in the tax code, Something like that can happen regardless of which political party was in the majority when the oversight occurred. This can be corrected by Congressional action, but voters need to be aware that a correction is needed or we may not see one.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Overall, I agree with simplifying the tax code and am generally a fan of the new tax law that was passed. However, this is an aspect of it that I do not like. It hurts kids that it should be helping.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I imagine the same rules apply to the students who win the big scholarships in the Distinguished Scholarship Invitational. The three Harry Gore Memorial Scholarships are now $64,000 awards, and I think there are some others in the DSI that would exceed tuition, fees, books, and supplies.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

We’ve already had a income tax cycle (or two?) since the new tax policy was put into force, have we not? If that’s correct (it might not be, I’m asking) then why haven’t we seen waves of humanity already sharing real world accounts?

Comment

• rjl
                      rjl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      2018 was the first year for the new tax code. The article states that the "impact on full-time undergraduate and graduate students ... went largely unnoticed until the waning weeks of tax season." So it's an article on an issue that was first noticed a little over a month ago.

I can see the point, although I would say books should not be subject to tax. You could argue that anything above books and tuition that is used to live (rent, groceries, etc.) is really just a subsidized income. I might even go a step further and give an allowance for room and board but it would have to be capped at a certain amount.

Comment

• jdshock
                      jdshock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's possible I'm misreading your post or the underlying article, but I don't think the issue is so much that the money is taxable; the issue is that it is subject to the "Kiddie Tax" which historically taxed the money at the parents' marginal tax bracket even if the child cannot be claimed as a dependent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiddie_tax
                      Last edited by jdshock; May 20, 2019, 12:16 PM.

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      my bad, I did not read the article. Thanks

If you had no other income other than the scholly, would you have enough income that you would owe Federal tax. Gov. Kelly probable would have you pay state though!

Comment

It needs to be fixed, no argument. However, the average kid on scholarship is now paying $325/month to go to college, instead of $111. That's a big jump percentage-wise, but we are talking about getting full tuition at a four year university, a place to stay, and food to eat for $325/mo.

Then consider that student athletes on full scholarship from lower income families can qualify for up to $6,095 in Pell Grants.

If you subtract the $6,095 Pell Grant from the maximum tax burden of $3,900, some kids are paying NOTHING to go to college and in fact are getting paid $2,195 to go to school.

Now obviously, they are missing out on $2.5k of income they had the year prior over and above the $2.2k, but still -- they still have a surplus of $2.2k _after_ paying taxes.

Yes it needs to be fixed, no it's not a crisis.
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

This reeks of a power move to push public schools to offer tax payer funded education.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• rjl
                          rjl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How so?

• shock
                          shock commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Tax scholarships and affording college becomes impossible. Then you get outcry for the government to fix it and make higher education a right.

It’s the same thing they tried to do with health care. They implemented a broken system so people would want to move to a single payer system instead, because healthcare has been deemed a right (it’s not).

• rjl
                          rjl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          shock, that takes quite a bit of a leap of logic, especially considering it was a full republican effort that passed this tax code in the first place, and campaigned-for and signed by the guy in your avatar. If what you said was true, why wouldn't the same powers that enacted this tax code just have done what you claim they are targeting to do?

You could far more easily surmise that it's an effort to widen the gap between the rich and the poor, based on the same facts you've used to draw your conclusion.

In actuality, it could very well just be a product of ramming this tax code through congress without taking the time to look at all the outcomes. Time will tell if it's addressed.

For those who haven't read the article, the salient portions:

Congress originally established the [kiddie-tax] in the bipartisan 1986 tax reform law, then tweaked it in a 2003 tax package passed under President George W. Bush. It forces children to pay taxes on both earned income — like salaries from summer jobs — and unearned income, like stock dividends and nontuition scholarships.

The different types of income have different rates, and until the Trump tax overhaul passed, the rate for unearned income was tied to how much a child’s parents earned. That meant scholarship winners from low-income families, whose parents had little or no federal income tax liability, also faced low tax rates.

In the past, a student from a household with a joint income of $50,000 who was awarded a scholarship that covered $11,500 in room and board would be taxed at their parents’ rate of 12 percent. Under the new law, that money would be taxed up to 35 percent.
                        The article states that the change in tax law also affects the survivor benefits given to families of service members who died in combat. Although there has been strong bipartisan support to fix that issue, progress has been slower as it pertains to scholarship recipients.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                        X