Coming out for the UNLV game !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming out for the UNLV game !

Any suggestions on what to do while we're there would be helpful. Staying in the downtown
    area. Hope for a great game.

Thanks
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ff0000]GO REBELS !![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Paging @Walker Schwartz:. He's a cultured being of Wichita places.

Welcome to the board by the way.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I suggest you find some sportin' women.

Comment

Ah well that depends on what you're into :)

Kudos to you on staying downtown, that gives you so much immediate access to the best parts of Wichita. How long is your stay?

Comment

As one who read Rebelnet regularly, welcome to Shockernet. Jager is one of the good guys over there.

Do you already have tickets to the game? Make sure you have something in hand before coming out to Koch.

Comment

You know those Affliction and Ed Hardy shirts you stopped wearing 5 years ago? Unbox them and bring them with you; you'll look like King **** in Wichita's Old Town.
            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome ! I think it'll be a 2 or 3 day trip, maybe with my girlfriend, maybe not. Get the tickets on Monday !!

MY parents went to K-STATE, I spent 2 years in Wellington, KS while my dad was flying jets in the war in Vietnam 1966-67.
              My grandfather owned Ross Industries (wheat mill stuff) and was Postmaster General in that area back then.

My Uncle is on the Board of Regents for K-State, so it's always fun to play K-State with the connection we had with Kruger and company
              my parents and Uncle. Sucked last year when we played K-State with out 2 of their best players being suspended, but UNLV won and I was happy.
              I was at that game, damn it's cold back there, it was at the Sprint Center.

Anyways, I graduated UNLV in '82 and really liking this road game against Wichita State, I think it will be a brawl.
              We got a great team, only lost 2 players from last years team and picked up some sweet kids for this year. Our 3 point shooting star is back this year after missing all last year due to a knee injury.

That's it for now, this will be my favorite road game this year, I usually go to 5 or 6 road games every year. We play UNC this year:grief: about 2 miles from our campus in a tourney if both teams get to the final..

By the way KU sucks !!! The only Kansas team I hate...for right now:)

Thanks
              Mark GO REBELS !!

Comment

Originally posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
                By the way KU sucks !!!
                With comments like that, you will always be welcome here
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

good to hear that you hate ku. i've always enjoyed watching unlv play, back to the tark days. send me a message... you're more than welcome to join our pregame meal.

Comment

@JAGERVEGAS:

Really cool connections! As far as eats go, places are many - Some of my favorite eateries downtown would be The Anchor (best micro brew selection in the city), River City Brewery (brew their own beers and do a phenomenal job), Sabor Latin Grille (real, authentic latin cuisine), Tanya's Soup Kitchen (the most original menu in the city, always changes, always fantastic), & Mead's Corner (more of a coffee house, but they have a deli as well). All of those places really take pride in making food in house and do it extremely well. There's a ton of other excellent places, those are just some of my favorites.

If you are in Wichita on the Friday before, 12/2, our hockey team, Wichita Thunder, have a game at Intrust Bank Arena which is our new arena downtown. If that's not your cup of tea, we also have a 'First Friday' crawl in downtown in which most of the drinking establishments will host live, local music. If you are in to that scene it's a phenomenal time, a very eclectic spectacle.

If you are in to the museum/art gallery scene there's almost a dozen places downtown that are always having new exhibits and showings - they make a significant effort to have bring in new showings.

If you are a runner there is a 5K/fun-run on Friday 12/2, the 'Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis'

That's really a small sample of what you can do here in the city - any of that strike your fancy?

Comment

**** i just realized ill be in kansas city all weekend :kanyeshrug:

Comment

Originally posted by Walker Schwartz View Post
                        @JAGERVEGAS:

Really cool connections! As far as eats go, places are many - Some of my favorite eateries downtown would be The Anchor (best micro brew selection in the city), River City Brewery (brew their own beers and do a phenomenal job), Sabor Latin Grille (real, authentic latin cuisine), Tanya's Soup Kitchen (the most original menu in the city, always changes, always fantastic), & Mead's Corner (more of a coffee house, but they have a deli as well). All of those places really take pride in making food in house and do it extremely well. There's a ton of other excellent places, those are just some of my favorites.

If you are in Wichita on the Friday before, 12/2, our hockey team, Wichita Thunder, have a game at Intrust Bank Arena which is our new arena downtown. If that's not your cup of tea, we also have a 'First Friday' crawl in downtown in which most of the drinking establishments will host live, local music. If you are in to that scene it's a phenomenal time, a very eclectic spectacle.

If you are in to the museum/art gallery scene there's almost a dozen places downtown that are always having new exhibits and showings - they make a significant effort to have bring in new showings.

If you are a runner there is a 5K/fun-run on Friday 12/2, the 'Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis'

That's really a small sample of what you can do here in the city - any of that strike your fancy?
                        Don't forget the Old Mill Tasty Shop. A must visit eatery!

Comment

I knew bringing Walker in on this was a good idea.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

If you make it to The Anchor be sure to try their Reuben and sweet potato fries. Can't beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by InWuWeTrust View Post
                              good to hear that you hate ku. i've always enjoyed watching unlv play, back to the tark days. send me a message... you're more than welcome to join our pregame meal.
                              Thanks for the invite.

Originally posted by Walker Schwartz View Post
                              @JAGERVEGAS

Walker, your a wealth of 411, thanks, I'll check out a few of your suggestions.

A few other things on the REBELS, if you didn't know we have a new coaching staff. David Rice who was a player on our championship team in 1990 is our head coach. He spent number of years coaching at BYU, grooming that Jimmer boy.
                              He's returning the RUNNIN' back to the RUNNIN" REBELS style of play. That's our new slogan "LETS RUN". Been to a few practices and it's crazy work outs for the players.

Stacey Augmon is also back from that 1990 team as a coach, he played 15 years in the NBA. Augmon was the first three-time winner of the NABC Defensive player of the year, winning the award in 1989, 1990, and 1991. He also a member of the UNLV Athletic hall of fame, 2002. Consensus NCAA All-American from 1991, Big West Player of the year(1989) and NBA All-Rookie First Team, 1992. So that's pretty exciting for the city to have him back, actually we went nuts when that was announced.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X