Coach Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Marshall

Here’s a really cool article about Coach Marshall, as long as you ignore the Trey Wade to Georgia visit mistake. CJ Moore wrote a great piece about Teddy last year while we were all waiting for the waiver announcement. It requires a subscription but suffice to say, Gregg ain’t going anywhere.

Gregg Marshall has found contentment at Wichita State — and another gear with his rebuilt roster
    WICHITA, Kan. — Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall sat in the first row of Koch Arena last Thursday morning watching three of his guards go through individual workouts when junior college wing Trey Wade called. Wade was supposed to be headed to Georgia for an official visit, but he was calling to...

I hope those Arkansas fans that kept saying it was a done deal read this.

Comment

"Coach where you are loved ..... And where they can fly you on a private jet to play golf. You can't do that anywhere"

Comment

Marshall was still shaving during the Sherfield and Wade recruitment, cancelling two recruiting visits he had scheduled for this past Monday.

Comment

I’m not surprised but I would be interested to know who he was recruiting at that point.

Comment

• pinstripers
            pinstripers commented
            Editing a comment
            My wildazz guess is that it was the 2 grad transfers that we already know about.

• ShockingButTrue
            ShockingButTrue commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeboah would have been a good addition. 235 lbs. with a 3 pt. jumper. GGG was looking for shooters apparently...

He found 'em!

I'm thinking Wichita needs to be sending Coach Kresse the keys to the city.

Comment

Think back to mid-January 2009. The Shockers started 0-6 in the Valley, losing horribly at Missouri State. It was bound to be 0-8 when league leaders Creighton and Illinois State came to town (except it obviously didn't turn out like that). What was happening? Did we hire the wrong coach?

At that moment in time, if I told you that over the next decade that the Shockers would go to the Final Four, get a 1 seed with a 34-0 record, beat the tar out of the Beakers in the NCAA Tournament, and have 3G turn down (at least) two offers from SEC schools that offered a number that begins with a 4, what insane asylum would have admitted me?

Special times at 21st and Hillside...
            78-65

Comment

First mention I remember saying one transfer was due to academics. :confusion:
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• pinstripers
                pinstripers commented
                Editing a comment
                We had heard that before and I believe it was CJ.

Who wants to be the hero & copy the article?

Comment

• Shock Top
                Shock Top commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd love some mail in my inbox as well ;)

• WuShock16
                WuShock16 commented
                Editing a comment
                Shock Top, fine...but you probably will owe me a beverage at TBT games this summer, okay? Haha.

• ShockingButTrue
                Editing a comment
                Apple core...

Interesting to hear that 3G would have been more tempted to offers last year, but that year of all years, no one called.

Comment

While the full article is behind a paywall, I took the 1 year for $29.99 special a couple months ago. I keep the app on my phone so I can read articles in idle time. The writing they have is really good and in depth. At $30 a year it is worth it. I will have to decide next February if it is still worth it at $60 a year. Quality costs money, and quality is worth paying for.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Bluzrover
                  Bluzrover commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did the same as I really enjoy the in-depth analysis Seth Keysor provides about the Chiefs. Top notch writing and analysis like that is worth paying for.

• ShockerEngr
                  ShockerEngr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They also allow a couple free articles a month through their phone app

This article gives a lot of insight into how we have been able to hang onto Marshall. I think it shows the true wisdom of the man, that the almighty dollar and perceived prestige is not everything. He has a good thing going and it is not going to be the same somewhere else. Thankful he sees it that way.

Comment

Whenever someone else on here posted an article from theathletic.com a while back, I subscribed in order to read the article. After that, I started getting emails frpm them every so often. I didn't think that would be a problem beause I would just unsubscribe from the emails. I went ahead and unsubscribed, but that didn't help. I guess they ignore your unsubscribe requests because they are still sending me emails. So I won't be subscribing to this.

Comment

• Bluzrover
                    Bluzrover commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s interesting . The only email I get from them are links to articles that I care about, the Shockers and Chiefs. But I get a butt ton of email from a lot of other spammers I never signed up for so I take it all with a grain of salt.

• FlyingWheat
                    FlyingWheat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Unfortunately they don’t bother to extend a similar courtesy to renewal notices. I forgot about my subscription until I saw the charges a few days after. No email warnings (it’s a whole year between charges) and when I contacted them to cancel and ask for a refund or prorate, they refused, and stuck me with the entire year subscription at full price. The service response was particularly poor. They have high quality content, but I would not do business with them again.

I'm not sure about the validity of the article. If Marshall was so content about being here at Wichita State, why did he interview at Arkansas?

Comment

• WuShock16
                    WuShock16 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Who said he “interviewed?” Arkansas contacted his agent. Agent passed along info. 3G thought about it (who wouldn’t at least give it a thought?) but said “No thanks.”

• ShockingButTrue
                    Editing a comment
                    I would imagine all coaches "listen" to offers.

Coach K probably "listens" to offers from the Knicks, but makes the right decision.

News reports said he was on the campus at the arena interviewing for the head coaching job.

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Many moons ago (probably during the dreadful 90's) WSU basketball was referred to as a "sleeping giant". I even recall a study that showed we had the money/support in the community to support a big-time program. I might be losing it, but an ex KU athletic director (Monty Fredrickson?) worked for a consulting company and they did research for the athletic director at that time. Monty (if I'm thinking of the right guy?) was the spokesperson for the company and might have started the "sleeping giant" reference.

P.S. Monte Johnson (1982-1987) or Bob Frederick (1987-2001) ... it's the $hits getting old.
                    Last edited by WstateU; April 23, 2019, 04:14 PM.

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those "internet" reports seemed pretty credible at the time and this story make it very likely they were true.

Most on this board said back there was no way GM would take an Arkansas job offer seriously. It seems likely that he did now.

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m sure his agent is serious about all inquiries/offers; that’s his job and potentially more cha-ching for him too. I don’t care what has been reported; HCGM wasn’t going to Arkansas... it’s wise to trust old WstateU.

Working...
                X