Just remember...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
    Wow! I didn't realize HCGM was aiming those comments toward KU. I thought he was referring to our dunk contest that we usually have. Wasn't it last year or the year before where DK or someone else dunked over a motorcycle?

...but if that's what they want to believe! Rock Shock Chickenhawk!
    You must understand in a squakhawk mind everything is about them:pirate:
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      \Gee Hawkie, we're so sorry we contributed to yet another one of your tournament downfalls. Blame us. It's OUR fault, obviously.
      Because the elite 8 is such a huge downfall.

Comment

Originally posted by owenc View Post
        Because the elite 8 is such a huge downfall.
        Look, I appreciate your radio presence in the Shocker community, mainly because it is your job. But please stop the blind allegiance on our board. It's annoying.

I was obviously referring to the tournament downfalls of midmajordom. Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa, VCU. See a trend? Elite 8 or not, KU was expected to be in the National Title game last year. So in that regard, it most certainly was a downfall. And to top it off, it was against Virginia Commonwealth. Stop trying to downplay the choke job.

Beyond all of that, you picked out something that wasn't even the main point of my post. My point was that KU fans were trying to put blame for their loss to VCU on us. Instead of picking apart my post, why don't you try and DEFEND that beautiful point your fellow buddies tried to make? Hmm?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Look, I appreciate your radio presence in the Shocker community, mainly because it is your job. But please stop the blind allegiance on our board. It's annoying.
          There is nothing blind about my allegiance. It just strikes me as stupid to characterize a loss in the Elite 8 by any team as a "downfall". Sorry if you don't think I deserve to have an opinion on the matter but I do.

I was obviously referring to the tournament downfalls of midmajordom. Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa, VCU. See a trend? Elite 8 or not, KU was expected to be in the National Title game last year. So in that regard, it most certainly was a downfall. And to top it off, it was against Virginia Commonwealth. Stop trying to downplay the choke job.
          KU doesn't win the national championship every year. That means they are going to lose in the tournament every year. Every single year. That isn't a "choke job". VCU played a better game than KU. A _much_ better game. Don't degrade what VCU did with your own bias. KU didn't choke. They got beat. Beat down actually.

Beyond all of that, you picked out something that wasn't even the main point of my post. My point was that KU fans were trying to put blame for their loss to VCU on us. Instead of picking apart my post, why don't you try and DEFEND that beautiful point your fellow buddies tried to make? Hmm?
          I'm not in the habit of defending idiots on message boards. In fact, I pretty much mostly only respond in reply to them. Here and on any other board. One idiot does not make "KU fans". I think you'd be hard pressed to find many KU fans that would even know that WSU played VCU much less blame WSU for them being in the tournament.

Chris

Comment

We've gone back and forth before and I'm not going to do that again because I understand that you are an intelligent KU fan and I can respect you.

But, I'll end my point with this..

What was the line of the KU-VCU game?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We've gone back and forth before and I'm not going to do that again because I understand that you are an intelligent KU fan and I can respect you.

But, I'll end my point with this..

What was the line of the KU-VCU game?
              9.5 to 10.5 points depending on the place. Fairly low for playing an 11 seed. Next to nothing when you consider the bricks KU was throwing up.

But really who cares? Had it been 50 points that wouldn't mean that VCU didn't deserve it. They played a better game and deserved to win. What is so wrong with that?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I do like the fact he tried for a Black and Gold color scheme! Shocker wannabe I guess.
                Man those pictures are unbelievable. I can't believe that a guy who gets paid millions of dollars to coach a division 1 basketball team would subject himself to such silliness.

I had no idea that Ku's madness had turned into such a silly unbasketball event.

That looks more like it belongs in Hollywood instead of Kansas.

Comment

David Kyles dunked over a motorcycle and its rider last year.

Marshall sat beside Kyles in the autograph line this year. I mentioned to Marshall that I was glad to see something resembling what we could expect during the season rather than a street ball pickup game. Marshall turned to Kyles and said, "See, what did I tell you".
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    David Kyles dunked over a motorcycle and its rider last year.

Marshall sat beside Kyles in the autograph line this year. I mentioned to Marshall that I was glad to see something resembling what we could expect during the season rather than a street ball pickup game. Marshall turned to Kyles and said, "See, what did I tell you".
                    Them damn youngens never listen.:banghead:
                    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                      I had no idea that Ku's madness had turned into such a silly unbasketball event.
                      I has really always been a "silly unbasketball event". That's the madness part. Originally all that stuff was a way to kill time until the basketball could start since they couldn't do that until midnight. In '86 they had Larry Bud Melman there. In '89 they had a band (Starship I think).

It is clearly not a practice. It is a party with a scrimmage at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                        Let's not forget that some of the bad blood between WSU and KU go further back, to the time when then WU was trying to become a state institution. KU, via its very heavy influence in the legislature and Board of Regents at that time made the move to being a state school very, very difficult. God bless President Harry Corbin and the work he did in making us Wichita State University, a battle that took from 1955 to 1963.
                        Correct. And them damn ChickenHawks and MildCats been poken us with a sharp stick ever since. :beaten:
                        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by owenc View Post
                          I has really always been a "silly unbasketball event". That's the madness part. Originally all that stuff was a way to kill time until the basketball could start since they couldn't do that until midnight. In '86 they had Larry Bud Melman there. In '89 they had a band (Starship I think).

It is clearly not a practice. It is a party with a scrimmage at the end.
                          If that's what it's designed to be, then it is what it is. I think it's rather silly and petty to criticize Self or KU for that. I applaud Self for being a good sport.

At WSU, probably due to the different student dynamics (ie. fewer traditional students and a larger % of alumni), want real basketball. Marshall is of like mind and that is fine, too.

If our event last night has been more "party", my family and I wouldn't have driven in for it.

Comment

Our student attendance last night wasn't anything to write home about. Perhaps they were just spread throughout the crowd instead of concentrated in the end zone.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Our student attendance last night wasn't anything to write home about. Perhaps they were just spread throughout the crowd instead of concentrated in the end zone.
                              I talked to some of the actives in my fraternity this week to see if they were going and a lot of them had class in the evening. Two more of my fraternity brothers that are working on post grad work had class as well and both are big hoops fans. I think this might be another knock against doing this during the week again, no students.
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Way to set em straight, Doc.

They haven't muttered a word since. Typical shutdown of the fanbase that thinks it's all about them.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X