Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSU Versus AAC 2019/20 Predictions & PreSeason Discussion With 2018/19 Stats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Versus AAC 2019/20 Predictions & PreSeason Discussion With 2018/19 Stats.

Here's the deal. This thread is somewhat unorthodox, but then so am I. Are we not very excited on SN on our incoming recruits? Dunno if we are done or not either but are out of Ships. Last Season, we were 21-15 and 10-8 and took 6th place. Are we Dancing this time or is that another extra Season away? My very best scenario for this past Season was 20 wins. We were 21-15, 10-8 in AAC, 11-4 at home, 7-7 away, and 3-4 on neutral courts. If we played 36 games again, I'm guessing 13-5 to 14-6 in AAC and we win 25 games overall which could get the Shocks Dancing again. We lose our top 2 scorers and return some solid players that got their feet thrown in the fire and came on strong late. So with our returning and new players, look at how we did versus our competition in AAC. Then ponder whether the squad we will have as to if these areas we struggled in are addressed. All the stats were off the AAC site for AAC Conference games.

The Shocks led the AAC in FT % at .754. Hey Coach, I'm glad you listened to all the former callers about working on these? Tisk Tisk. Problem was, we were only 11th at 297 attempts. Next, we were 9th in AAC Conference play in FG % at .412. Ouch!! It appears we do have some slashers coming in here to draw fouls and make more shots at a higher percentage? Our 3-point % was .314 which landed us 10th in Conference play. We have some laser shooters coming in? Looks like it but at this level, the verdict is still out. We were 4th in RB margin with JE and DD returning. We were 7th in blocking shots. Will our rim protection improve? In steals we were 12th of 12 so nowhere but upward on that. Assists to turnover ratio we were 3rd with mostly all new guards which is acceptable and hopefully to improve.

Of our returning players, 3 made a top 15-20 AAC various lists. JB was 6th in assist to turnover margin ratio. Is he to be our point guard still? His Defense was tough. Clemson gave JB fits in the NIT. JE was 16th in rebounding and 4th in blocks. DD landed in 4th place in 3-pt. % at around .400. Thus, I'm seeing a still young but quite talented Shocker squad.

The Shocks may just not have to wait an extra Season to Dance but this eternal optimist understands we might be close to the bubble at the end of Season. Here goes my fearless projections. Yes, we will Dance and win 1, maybe 2 games at the Dance. If we have to wait an extra Season for that, than so be it. Our Defense, rebounding, and shooting % should all improve. Our bench strength will again outscore our foes bench most of the times as in times past when we Danced 7 Seasons in a row. Sure hoping JB and ES improve their shooting. What do you all think about any of this? Am I being too optimistic because my rose colored glasses theology is as suspect as pulling hens teeth when predicting about our beloved Shocks.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    Here's the deal. This thread is somewhat unorthodox, but then so am I. Are we not very excited on SN on our incoming recruits? Dunno if we are done or not either but are out of Ships. Last Season, we were 21-15 and 10-8 and took 6th place. Are we Dancing this time or is that another extra Season away? My very best scenario for this past Season was 20 wins. We were 21-15, 10-8 in AAC, 11-4 at home, 7-7 away, and 3-4 on neutral courts. If we played 36 games again, I'm guessing 13-5 to 14-6 in AAC and we win 25 games overall which could get the Shocks Dancing again. We lose our top 2 scorers and return some solid players that got their feet thrown in the fire and came on strong late. So with our returning and new players, look at how we did versus our competition in AAC. Then ponder whether the squad we will have as to if these areas we struggled in are addressed. All the stats were off the AAC site for AAC Conference games.

The Shocks led the AAC in FT % at .754. Hey Coach, I'm glad you listened to all the former callers about working on these? Tisk Tisk. Problem was, we were only 11th at 297 attempts. Next, we were 9th in AAC Conference play in FG % at .412. Ouch!! It appears we do have some slashers coming in here to draw fouls and make more shots at a higher percentage? Our 3-point % was .314 which landed us 10th in Conference play. We have some laser shooters coming in? Looks like it but at this level, the verdict is still out. We were 4th in RB margin with JE and DD returning. We were 7th in blocking shots. Will our rim protection improve? In steals we were 12th of 12 so nowhere but upward on that. Assists to turnover ratio we were 3rd with mostly all new guards which is acceptable and hopefully to improve.

Of our returning players, 3 made a top 15-20 AAC various lists. JB was 6th in assist to turnover margin ratio. Is he to be our point guard still? His Defense was tough. Clemson gave JB fits in the NIT. JE was 16th in rebounding and 4th in blocks. DD landed in 4th place in 3-pt. % at around .400. Thus, I'm seeing a still young but quite talented Shocker squad.

The Shocks may just not have to wait an extra Season to Dance but this eternal optimist understands we might be close to the bubble at the end of Season. Here goes my fearless projections. Yes, we will Dance and win 1, maybe 2 games at the Dance. If we have to wait an extra Season for that, than so be it. Our Defense, rebounding, and shooting % should all improve. Our bench strength will again outscore our foes bench most of the times as in times past when we Danced 7 Seasons in a row. Sure hoping JB and ES improve their shooting. What do you all think about any of this? Am I being too optimistic because my rose colored glasses theology is as suspect as pulling hens teeth when predicting about our beloved Shocks.
    NCAA Sweet-Sixteen... go ahead and book it. Just as well book rooms for the Final Four; you can always cancel if needed. I’m feeling some good vibes in my old bones. We’ll be sayin’ “Yipes Stripes Beechnut Gum!”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

forevershockerfan I think you’re right on the money. We might make it by the skin of our teeth, but I see us dancing next season as well, with a win or two. We’ve got guards galore, prized recruits, Dexter Dennis, battle tested big men, and Teddy buckets will finally be unleashed. How could anybody not be excited about next years team?!?! Oh, and the greatest coach as well too.

Comment

It all comes together blending all this new talent...YES we'll be DANCIN'!!!!

Lots of mountains to climb...but guys continue to get better from last season and Coach blends in the talented newbies...we be DANCIN'!!!! Just gotta stay focused and play angrier!!!!!

Predicted AAC Top-5
        1. - Houston
        2. - Wichita St.
        3. - Memphis
        4. - UConn
        5. - Cincinnati
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

At first glance, it appears that we have a very young and inexperienced roster, but in actuality, we are much more aged and experienced than the class breakdown looks. We will be a tough out in the tournament, as long as we find a way to get there.

We have a SR in Etch, who should take the patented 3G-WSU 2nd year jr college player jump. God's bear is an old JR who has already played pro ball and will be 22 by the start of the year. We now add Trey Wade to get another JR in the mix, who played one year at the D1 level already. Dex, ES, & JB are SO's who all averaged 20+ min a game as freshman; they are much more experienced than typical WSU outgoing freshman. Teddy Buckets already has a year of high-level D1 ball under his belt, and he also has an additional year of growing and maturing under 3G. The freshman coming in have mostly played high-level, championship basketball in high school.

I believe we get in the tournament. There may be a few stumbling blocks along the way, just like this year (although presumably fewer), but we should get in. It may be as a 10 or 11, but we will be the kind of team no one wants to see early. This year's team should improve similarly to last year's, just starting at a higher point. And the year after this, everybody just look out. Can't wait.

Comment

Our start of the Season should be improved and let's hope we again finish strong as we strive to peak at nitty gritty time. This squad has minutes of opportunity with MM, SHJ, Brown and Torres gone.The Coaching Staff we now had not only performed well last Season but also put together a very talented and athletic group of new recruits that will shore up some of the concerns of shooting % and fouling too much while not drawing enough fouls. We will have leapers, slashers, scorers and shooters that will continue to develop where we left off last Season. Quality depth will be improved as will our rebounding and rim protection. We will be young but very athletic and energetic. Whether we Dance could come down to the wire and will depend on just how quickly these Men apply the Marshall Plan in action and harmony. We know this plan works and the Shocks will give it their all to Dance again.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

WSU also had seven "win to survive" games and completed those with a 5-2 record. Valuable experience for the youngsters.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

The articles from Taylor today that analyzed our outlook to next year and the commitment to Wade were both very good, especially the analysis of what our players need to do to improve.

Comment

Comparing last year's 11% of minutes returning to this year's 55% returning, only in 3-pt%, FT% and turnovers are we returning less than last year

returning2.png
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                X