No announcement yet.

2019-20 National Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe like, some sort of, I dunno, panel or group of impartial people who follow the sport for a living. We could have them all vote on this stuff and then tabulate those votes into a ranking to even out inconsistencies from explicit and implicit bias from their regional exposure and personal experience.

And THEN, we could have the public dissect each of those voters decisions and mock them for terrible ideas until they do better.

That would be cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

So if we don't tweak the model, what you're saying is that perhaps instead we should use our own skills to apply logical adjustments to the models rating system based on additional information when creating our own ranking?

Wonder who could do that and what it might look like.

I have my own models rating system. I like 'em a little tall, with some curves. Wearing something dressy would be nice. Show me what that looks like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post

How narrow-minded of you, but then again that is your MO. I think most would agree that a 1 point loss at a team such as Duke would be more indicative of that team being a quality basketball team over a 1 point win against Prairie View A&M.
        You need to stay out of the convo. It’s WAY out of your league nub. The premise for making those statements, if you read the thread, were based on the scenarios involving the same team, you dolt. The argument was would you rather be 30-0 with an avg margin of victory of 5 or 25-5 with an avg of 12.

Stay in your lane next time.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

But wouldn't A) losing to the #10 team in the country on the road by two points be a better indication of a team being good than B) beating the #200 team in the country at home by 10 points? If I'm trying to choose the better team between the team that did A and the team that did B (assuming those are the only data points we have), I'd go with team A every day of the week.
          Why are you changing the argument? I asked would you rather be 30-0 with a lower margin or 25-5 with a higher margin playing the EXACT same schedule.

And according to you, losing is better than winning.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

But wouldn't A) losing to the #10 team in the country on the road by two points be a better indication of a team being good than B) beating the #200 team in the country at home by 10 points? If I'm trying to choose the better team between the team that did A and the team that did B (assuming those are the only data points we have), I'd go with team A every day of the week.
            I understand what you're trying to say, but playing a soft schedule doesn't seem to hurt a team like Gonzaga or give us pause to wonder how good they really are. Their SOS is currently ranked 246 but they're the #1 team in the nation and no one is saying that Gonzaga is a scrub team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              So long as I am here, you shall always be thankful.
              No he shan't.
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Even I don't have the patience to read through the last 10+ pages of this thread.

I would just like to point out that Vegas spread is set with the intent of getting equal amounts wagered on either side. Sure, opinion of anticipated result is part of that, but it's silly to use that as an argument.

That being said, anyone that looks at a blind resume of the top 100 metrics, compares 2 teams that are very close in performance and results so far, forms an opinion on where they are in a pecking order, then finds out Team A reached down Team B's throat, grabbed his shriveled testes and pulled them out and showed them to Team B on Team B's home court, and still comes to the conclusion that Team B is better than Team A, well, that person would probably be better suited as a sanitation engineer. Then at least some of the trash would be thrown out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

No he shan't.
                  Well I'll shant, I'll tell you that much right now.

Comment

• The only thing that could’ve topped this thread today would’ve been the return of the ultimate stat geek himself, Jamar4President.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Say no more:

CHUCK.png

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        The only thing that could’ve topped this thread today would’ve been the return of the ultimate stat geek himself, Jamar4President.
                        I've tried multiple times. He seems to be gone.

Comment

• Or we could analyze missed free throws vs. turnovers.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            The only thing that could’ve topped this thread today would’ve been the return of the ultimate stat geek himself, Jamar4President.
                            Oh dear Lord...please no.

Comment

• West Virginia gains +1.74 from their drubbing of TCU, which makes them 5th in KenPom.

Hopefully we can do the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Oh dear Lord...please no.
                                Why not? He was great to have around here. Especially during February and into March.
                                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X