No announcement yet.

The Official 2019-20 Preseason Thread-Spring Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest piece of the next few months, IMHO, is to make sure our staff stays intact. Lots to like about Lou and Tyson and the way they blended in as the season wore on. The players are getting used to these guys too and the continuity of assistants is critical to the development of our young players.

Comment

144 likes, 0 comments - wichitastatembb on April 3, 2019: "@ldl_dex has the right mindset for next seasonđź‘€ #watchus (via/ @thesunflowernews )"
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        Now he just needs to take that ball and windmill dunk it.

I like this a lot!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Comment

Would LOVE me some Poor Bear at the 4! I expect to see a Durley/Morris type of progression.
          Livin the dream

Comment

5: JE
            4: TA - like him better at the 3
            3: DD - don’t think he can be a 2 unless our 3 has handles
            2: IDK
            1: IDK
            Livin the dream

Comment

At WV Teddy played in 9 games as a freshman in which he got at least 15 minutes. In those nine games he averaged 16 points in 20 minutes.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                3: DD - don’t think he can be a 2 unless our 3 has handles
                This. Everyone keeps talking about Dennis going pro. He is not a 3 at the next level. 3’s are 6’7-6’11’ in the NBA. He is however perfect size as a 2, which needs to be able to handle the ball. He needs to greatly develop that skill before he can leave.

Comment

Ricky may decide to leave on his own but I don’t think he will be asked to leave. I see him getting significant minutes next year. He is by far the best passer on the team and will be one of only 2 seniors.

Rod may see limited minutes the rest of is career here and probably leave for somewhere he can play more.

Erik didn’t seem to fit in early in the year and his dad was vocal on social media. However this did not seem to be an issue once we started winning and Erik was playing better

Lets hope the rest of them are getting their classroom work done so they can stay eligible

Comment

• Shock Top
                    Shock Top commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ricky was far and away my biggest disappointment this season. I thought he was going to be an impact player.

I know “it’s only JUCO”, but my eyeballs told me he was going to be a big contributor earlier rather than later. Unfortunately, neither happened.

• BostonWu
                    BostonWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Believe me if dad was part of this very discussion he'd be asking who's played at the collegiate level and it would end with y'all don't know jack schidt. To some degree he's right but doesn't lend to a productive interaction with the fanbase that has lived and breathed Shocker bb through thick and thin.

his dad was vocal on social media
                  Didnt realize that. What was he saying?

Comment

• Shock Top
                    Shock Top commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Something to the effect that the were a lot of selfish play going on.

I didn’t think anything of it, but there were some pretty lengthy exchanges going on on the “Shockers Faithful” Facebook page.

• wufan
                    wufan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Erik’s dad wasn’t wrong.

• wichshock65
                    wichshock65 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Basically the same thing being said here, hopefully just a bit more diplomatically.

Wichita State needs at least 2 3-point shooters. WSU has a hole at the 4 spot. I don’t believe Allen or Chandler are the answer at 4. WSU doesn’t need 4 centers and they don’t need 4 point guards on a 13 man roster. Someone is going to have to go.

The centers are also going to have to get in better shape. This year they couldn’t get down the court 3 times without asking for a breather. That needs to get better.

Marshall also said the coaching staff has got to recruit better. I agree totally. There is no way that your worst freshman player should be the only one that redshirted.

If this team is to make the NCAA Tournament next year, it needs a talent upgrade.

Comment

• wufan
                    wufan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I disagree with most of this. Allen played a lot of 4 at West Virginia. Chandler has the body and skills to play the 4, not sure he has the footwork to guard the 4. Certainly neither is ideal, but they could make a good tandem, and Gordon is a damn fine recruit that is ideal.

For PGs, we have 2...Torres and Fernandes. Burton has certainly demonstrated he can play the 1, but could also play the 3. PG + DD + JB is a good backcourt. Etienne is a combo guard. Its not clear where he plays, but I’m guessing the 2.

The centers were fantastic for the second half of the season. Certainly getting in better shape would be a good thing, but I have zero worries, especially with four on the roster.

I don’t think a talent upgrade is necessary.

If Ricky or Rod gets significant minutes next year we will be a sub 500 club

Comment

• JVShocker
                    JVShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't think that to be a fair comment. I think next year's group could be quite a bit more balanced, and I really expect to see an uptick in the assist numbers. MM could score but others kind of did a lot of watching. He could be a straggler getting back on d. Too many times forced shots by our seniors resulted in easy and often auto buckets for the bad guys. Guess I'ma glass is half full guy.

• pinstripers
                    pinstripers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I dunno if it's fair, but it's accurate

• JVShocker
                    JVShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I mostly mean't in regards to team play and how I think next year will look. Will Rod Brown get many minutes next year? I'm not the coach so don't ask me. From my perspective he doesn't have any kind of role on the offensive end. Maybe a role defensively in certain situations. ? I'm kind of hopeful about prospects for next season.

To me it seems our two best players might play the same position. Teddy and Dex. So then the question becomes is Dex more serviceable at the 2 or Teddy at the 4? If Dex improves his handle, then there shouldn’t be any problem with him at the 2. It also seems our depth may be much better at the 2 spot.

Comment

• shoxlax
                    shoxlax commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Teddy at the 4....he’s an undersized 4 but I’ve seen no one able to really stop him yet. He knows all the angles, how to protect his shot with rim, and plays relentless offense.

So our 4 isn’t 6-9 and 225? Sometimes the best options don’t fit the model.
                    Last edited by shoxlax; April 6, 2019, 08:05 PM.

• shock-it-to-me
                    shock-it-to-me commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Look at the 4 on our final four team to see the perfect example of this.

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                  To me it seems our two best players might play the same position. Teddy and Dex. So then the question becomes is Dex more serviceable at the 2 or Teddy at the 4? If Dex improves his handle, then there shouldn’t be any problem with him at the 2. It also seems our depth may be much better at the 2 spot.
                  We have several delusional fans here. We have two 3s who have similar skills. They both can score and rebound. They have good to moderate 3 point shooting skills and strength underneath to score and rebound. Neither are guards when it comes to handling the ball. Therefore, they both have more of the skills to handle the 4 than they have the skill to handle the 2. Until they prove the skills, you don’t put a square peg in a round hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

We have several delusional fans here. We have two 3s who have similar skills. They both can score and rebound. They have good to moderate 3 point shooting skills and strength underneath to score and rebound. Neither are guards when it comes to handling the ball. Therefore, they both have more of the skills to handle the 4 than they have the skill to handle the 2. Until they prove the skills, you don’t put a square peg in a round hole.
                    Maybe you’re delusional if you think Teddy has displayed the ability to be a “moderate” Division-1 three-point shooter.

Comment

• wufan
                      wufan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just for clarity; while Teddy was just 3 for 25 (12%) at WVU as a freshman, he was 100 of 298 (34%) in high school. I imagine his 3 point shooting would have been a strength on this year’s team.
                  Working...
                  X