The Official 2019-20 Preseason Thread-Spring Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
    I think writing off Torres is a mistake. He obviously CAN shoot. He shot over 43% from 3 his sophomore year of Juco on 71-164 no less, that sure isn't a small sample size. He clearly has a case of the yips. Hopefully can get it figured out this off season because a Ricky who can shoot is a hell of a point guard.

Overall we will be better next year, experience will do wonders for the young players. We just really need another shooter or two to step up besides Dex, without it we are going to be really easy to guard and defenses are going to pack it in.
    In almost 100% of our previous juco contributors they made some strides during their junior year. Torres showed zero, zip strides. He will be a non-contributor next year if he is even here.

Comment

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
      GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
      Editing a comment
      I would even argue that he regressed. Started turning the ball over more at the end, never figured out any of the shooting thing. Not a lot to like really. Especially those damned green shoes...

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
    Question, and I apologize if this was covered elsewhere, the chance Moore scholarship that went to the walk on this year. Will that be available next year? Surely we can’t afford to let the walk on keep that scholarship for another year just because it’s a “feel good“ story
    That scholarship was just a “this-season” thing. We have three scholarships coming off the books (Markis, SHJ, Chance/Eli) and three additions (Tyson, Noah? DeAntoni). Any more additions require further subtracting.
    Last edited by WuShock16; April 3, 2019, 02:38 PM.
    78-65

Comment

The offseason is coming at a very good time.

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I get your gist; anyone watching the game 'closely' last night probably gets it too. :)

Originally posted by top20shock View Post

You’re comparing him to Kelly? Not at all IMO.
    Kelly as a FR not the finished product . I can remember wondering what the saw in that guy as a FR playing against Valley teams to boot. Kelly good better every year and made a big jump his SR year. My guess Brown would be first on the chopping block but if he stays I believe he could be a good RK type of player by the time he is a redshirt JR/SR.

Comment

• pinstripers
      pinstripers commented
      Editing a comment
      Kelly got minutes as a freshman. Started a game or two, even

Not banging his drum, but I'm a little surprised with all the Torres comments on how bad he was last night. Now +/- doesn't tell a lot of things, but while RT was in the lineup last night, at least the team's score generally went in the right direction (21-14 for the night) over 11.1 minutes and he lead all Shockers, who played more than a minute or 2, with a 25.2 NET/40 minutes. I also don't recall him being in the lineup when the score went from up 11 to down 7. That's because he wasn't.

The lineup combination of MM-JB-RT-ES-AM played the 2nd most minutes of any combination last night (6.68 minutes) and was 13-7 or a Net/40 of +35.9. You'll notice a regular who was not in that lineup and had the worst +/- among all regulars at -14.3 (hint: not DD or JE). If you think this is an aberration, check out im4wsu 's +/- for individual players for our games 19-34 (the team's turn around games) and you'll see Ricky with a plus 10.3 ....... best on the team.

Again, not banging a drum, just food for thought.

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm... I think it's "figures don't lie, but liars figure"...

• rjl
      rjl commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Torres was in a lot when Matthews was out.

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      That may be true rjl , but what about his +/- for games 19-34?

Originally posted by top20shock View Post
    Guys. Torres won’t get any better. He’s hit his ceiling and is an atomic bomb maker and a complete defensive liability. Shooting?
    He needs to go somewhere else.
    Eh, I don’t have much hope for him improving, but with us losing SHJ and ball handling already being one of the weakness’ of this team, it may not hurt to have a back up guard next year who knows the system and can handle the ball without turning it over. Plus, he will be a senior next year, so it’s not like he will be with the team for 3 more years.

Comment

Let's not overthink this. Torres has shoot LESS than 9% from 3 on over forty attempts. See ya.
      "Say it slowly and savor it..."
      Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Reason he may not be gone:

We had only 4 players with more assists than turnovers. Those A/TO ratios were RT 2.43 / JB 1.85 / SHJ 1.65 / ES 1.34 / plus what any freshman guard may do next year.

Also, among non-post players, 2pt FG%: RT .532 / MM .466 / JB .420 / ES .417 / SHJ .410 / DD .398.

Shock Talk how dare you bring facts to this discussion? Lol

Comment

I think if we do not end up with Sherfield or some other stud at guard, we keep RT.

Comment

Perhaps the term BBIQ gets thrown around too much but I think it is often the factor that separates the very good and great players/teams from the run of the mill or the just merely good players/teams. The thing about BBIQ that I'm really unsure about is whether it is ingrained or taught. In other words is it nature or nurture. I guess I lean towards a lot of it being nature. If you have a natural BBIQ ability it can be enhance by nurture, but I am not sure that if you don't have that it can easily be developed. Yeah you might be able to overcome a lack of BBIQ with hard work and hustle but that will only take you so far.

Even as freshman you could see the BBIQ was there for Fred, Ron and Landry and I would even say Austin Reaves. All four had a natural instinct for the game although the skill levels varied. I think Fred's BBIQ was and is off the charts and he had that before he stepped foot on campus at Wichita State, I think Ron Landry and Austin did as well. It'a about the only way to explain guys like Larry Bird. I would say Lipscomb's Garrison Mathews appears to be operating with a high BBIQ.

Guys who have a high natural BBIQ seam to just absorb knowledge of the game and even though there basketball BBIQ is very high they don't have to consciously think about their decisions during the heat of battle. It just seems to come instinctively. A lot of times you ask these guys how did you know that play was there and they either won't know or just say they felt it.

I did not feel this year's Shocker team had an abundance of BBIQ and while a lot of the may have been their youth and inexperience none of the guys really stood out to me as being someone who gets it or has it. Maybe Dexter Deniis in last half of the season. Ricky at times did but he may be limited by his size and skill set if this past year was any guide. Is there more BBIQ with this group of returning players than meets the eye. Was it being suppressed by deferring so heavily to the 2 seniors. Hard to say.

You can measure a lot of things with statistics. Not sure there is anyway to measure BBIQ although good stats usually flow from having good BBIQ if you have the necessary skills and tools to capitalize on a good BBIQ. However, you usually know it when you see it.

Hopefully, the incoming freshmen guards bring a high level of BBIQ to go along with their physical tools. I think we can definitely use more of that.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 3, 2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• wufan
            wufan commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought Burton, Dennis, and Stevenson all showed high levels of BBIQ...for freshman. The execution was sometimes missing, but they knew what to do.

Starters
          1- JB
          2- Dex
          3- Teddy
          4- Gordon
          5- AM/JE depending on the matchup.
          Last edited by shock; April 3, 2019, 07:13 PM.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• newshock1234
            newshock1234 commented
            Editing a comment
            No Teddy?

• WichitaStateGuy
            WichitaStateGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            No.

• shock
            shock commented
            Editing a comment
            I forgot teddy

Is it ok to ‘like’ your own post? :)

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/s...529269248?s=21
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

My biggest concern for next year is shooting. We have one guy that spaces the court right now (DD-40%), 3 guys that can't shoot but do (ES-28%, JB-26%, RT-9%), others that might be able to shoot but won't have enough attempts to really pull guys out of the paint.

Normally this is the point where we look to newcomers. Teddy Allen isn't a shooter (.1 a game on 17%). DeAntoni Gordon isn't a shooter, essentially no attempts in AAU play. Tyson Etienne shoots like Erik Stevenson: a decent amount (4.7 attempts), on below replacement percentage (28%). Noah Ferandez does shoot a lot (5.4) at an at least acceptable level (35%), but he is also 5'11, 155. For what it is worth, Grant Sherfield dropped from a 5* recruit to a 3* recruit after failing to hit 10 PPG in AAU play and shooting just 25% from 3 but had a much better time at Sunrise where he hit 15.7 PPG with 38% from 3.

I think this team will go as its shot does. If we don't find someone, anyone, who can nail threes we will struggle. The Marshall offense doesn't play well against teams that simply pack the paint, like Lipscomb (and to a lesser extent, Marshall and many Valley teams) did. If the high pick and roll results in a center or guard moving into empty space, it is effective. If it results in rolling into three help defenders with a foot in the paint, it is less than useful: it actively puts the ball near the defense and forces bailout passes and guarded shots. The threat of the three drives defenses to overextend and opens up passing and driving lanes that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Right now, we need one more 'really good' shooter to replace McDuffie (38%) and a couple other consistent 34%+ guys to keep a defense honest and to improve from this season's abysmal 31% as a team. It isn't something that will be fixed just from newcomers. We need someone to take their game to the next level: Allen to find a shot, Stevenson to push his percentage up to match his attempt rate, Torres to get confident, etc. It would be really nice if we could land a PG (maybe a graduate transfer) who could shoot both catch and shoot and pull-up 3s and get or develop a forward that could shoot 3s off a pick and pop. It is hard to overstate how much it would expand our bread and butter play to add the option of shooting behind the screen or throwing to the pick for a J.

If we hit the same percentage as last year, I predict the same result. If we get worse, I expect to struggle. But if we can push that percentage to 35, 36, 37 we can get to the NCAA and compete.

Comment

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
              GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm really hoping Teddy can be that scorer that they need. Hopefully he can open some shots for Dex. I agree with the overall assessment though.

What about Caleb Grill? He looks like he can shoot and also has some serious ups.

Comment

Will Tate Busse give us anything more than practice fodder?

Comment

Working...
            X