WSU Versus Indiana Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zlinedavid View Post

Direct quote from someone currently at Assembly Hall: "Lines are longer than they were Saturday".
    Why everyone so early for mid-major Wichita??

Comment

I need to dig the link up, but there was an article recently that drew the line between a "blueblood" program and an "elite" program. Essentially, the author drew a basketball parallel to the terms "old money" and "new money". A blueblood program is one that has had sustained periods of success throughout history; the "old money". An elite program is one that's established a recent level of success; the "new money". Is it possible to be both? Absolutely. Elite status can wax and wane. Once the blueblood level has been hit, it takes a long time to fade.

Is Indiana a college basketball blueblood? Yes. We're still only one of 5 programs with 5 or more national titles. Are we one of the current elite programs? As much as I hate to say it, no. We're not irrelevant by any means, but are we at the absolute top tier of college basketball at the moment, no.

To answer your question regarding the post-Knight Era, I'd make the case that for the first 3 years after RMK, we were an equal if not better program. 1st round/Final Four/2nd round, with a B10 title mixed in. The two seasons that followed were the first speed bump. Davis just could not consistently recruit at a high level. He resigns, and the administration at the time has a chance to make a hire that would pull us back into regular contention. Instead, they drop a deuce in a bowl, hand it to us and call it "Kelvin Sampson",which lead to our current state of purgatory.

A question in reply: you mentioned the pay of WSU. Was the salary that high before Marshall? And if not, isn't that more reflective of Marshall's value vs the job itself?
      of course indiana is a college basketball blueblood. branch mckraken (sp?) saw to that.. national titles in 1940 and 1953. c'mon, folks.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by California Shocker View Post
          Looking good. Odds against us are dropping as we speak.
          it's down to -3.5 now. Per Yahoo Sports.
          I guess the drop may come after they knew Romeo will not play
          Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

"O2/23/85 Knight vs. The Chair" = 69
            "O2/04/12 Marshall vs. The Chair" = 78

Go Shockers!!!

:poster_wu::ranting2::bball_spin:

Comment

ESPN app still showing Indiana -200.

I'd take the points.

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                I bet the win, although did not wager enough as I was not totally confident

Killer foul on JE
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                ESPN app still showing Indiana -200.

I'd take the points.
                I’d bet your house
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by lmor1971 View Post
                  Can someone show this to Greg? Just a little added motivation

"​Marshall is a mid-major coach. He coaches at Wichita, a mid-major. If he wants to win a title, and put on his big boy pants and become a Power Five coach along with the extra pressure and criticism when his wizard ways don't produce the same winning results when he does not have more talent that the other teams in his little conference. Marshall had his chance to come to IU but chose to stay behind as a mid-major. Archie took the risk and the chance at IU and his career will be rewarded while Marshall will be remembered for dominating small school conference but never winning the big one. Marshall had his one big class and lost. That was his shot. Stomp Wichita"​​​​​​

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/th...ichita.182382/
                  What do these Bags have to say now???

Asking for a friend.
                  The Assman

Comment

Some of these comments are priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/i...t-game-thread/

I thought the classy IU fan that was here said this forum was the better of all of them.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• shoxlax
                        shoxlax commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There were a couple of their fans on the board that didn’t understand why Erik was being boo’d either. Still don’t understand that logic.

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                        Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wish I hadn't have read that whole thread. I lost a bunch of IQ points I couldn't afford to lose.

A) That nutjob does not speak for all IU fans. Nor do I, for that matter. But the vast majority of IU fans that I know have nothing but respect for Gregg Marshall.

B) I absolutely cringe at the term "power 5"if it's after the first week in January. For Football, its a concept that holds some (not complete, but some) credibility. For basketball, it's lazy thinking on the part of fans and "journalists" (not many today deserve that title, but that's a whole different soapbox).

The AAC and today's Big East don't get discounted in my book during basketball season. Why discount WSU, Marquette, Butler, etc basketball for not playing football? Programs like Uconn, Cincinnati and Houston don't matter as much because they're considered in a different classification in a different sport? Give me a break.

If Indiana wins tonight, I'll hold that victory in much higher standing compared with the "Power 5" wins we have over those powerhouses of Penn State and Illinois.
                      This Shocker fan grew up rooting for IU and B. Knight.

It pretty much started when Henry Levitt Arena hosted the Kansas/Illinois classic back in the day, giving me the first opportunity to see a high school point guard named Isiah Thomas. Anyone that was there could tell he was going to be a special player (winner).

Comment

• WstateU
                        WstateU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was there and was still a spring chicken.

• ShockingButTrue
                        ShockingButTrue commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep. What was the final score? It was banana's as I recall.

Wasn't the Kansas team shorted 2 points (D. Peeler, maybe), costing them the game? Or is that just a touch of nostalgia?

• WstateU
                        WstateU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My long term memory isn’t the best; I was there, but the details are a little sketchy. :(

I do recall Aubrey Sherrod having a great game; don’t tell me he didn’t play in the game?

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

This Shocker fan grew up rooting for IU and B. Knight.

It pretty much started when Henry Levitt Arena hosted the Kansas/Illinois classic back in the day, giving me the first opportunity to see a high school point guard named Isiah Thomas. Anyone that was there could tell he was going to be a special player (winner).
                      But the best player on the floor was Ricky Ross. I am a bit biased because I saw every game Ricky played for 3 years at South.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                        ShockingButTrue commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lotsa talent in that game: AC, Terry Cummings, Teddy Grubbs (McDonald's AA), Ray McCoy?. And, of course, the great R. Ross. Wish he could have "made the grade" at WSU.

• choida
                        choida commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Did he push it to the limit by scheming, hustling & speeding?

• OregonShocker
                        OregonShocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My "claim to fame" is having played against 4 NBA players in HS; and should've been 5 with RR.

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                      I don't think I would care for those guys in person.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/i...t-game-thread/

Hahaha! Love the guy who tries to discount 3G's coaching abilities because A) he's been at WSU (WS as he put it) for 12 years and 2) that he's in the NIT in year 12. What bearing does that have on anything, fella?

Comment

Working...
                        X