X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanHoops 5h5 hours ago More
    • Copy link to Tweet
    • Embed Tweet

Lipscomb could wind up going with alum and long-time Belmont assistant Brian Ayers, source told @Stadium.

Comment

• RoyalShock
      RoyalShock commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be quite a trade.

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Just to help Shockadaisical out with his basketball history: 1958–1964 – A run unlike any other

Sparked by the exploits of Oscar Robertson, who became the first player to lead the nation in scoring in three consecutive seasons, Cincinnati advanced to the Final Four in 1958–59 and 1959–60, settling for third place both years. Then the Bearcats, with a rookie head coach (Ed Jucker) and without Robertson, won their first national title in 1960–61. Then to prove that its 1961 championship was no fluke, UC repeated as national champion in 1961–62. Cincinnati made a fifth-straight trip to the Final Four in 1962–63, and narrowly missed capturing a third-straight national crown when Loyola (Ill.) overcame a 15-point deficit and defeated the Bearcats by a basket, 60–58, in overtime.

During those five seasons, UC recorded a 37-game win streak and posted a 161–16 ledger. The five straight Final Four appearances is a feat topped only by UCLA.

Cincinnati was a member of the Missouri Valley Conference from 1957 through 1969. And that 37-game win streak was broken by the Wichita State Shockers led by Dave The Rave. Also in 1962-63 when Cincy faced Loyola in the championship game the Shockers were the only team to have beaten both of those teams during the season.

I've heard of that Oscar Robertson guy, Some say he was pretty good. Oh yeah he still holds the single game scoring record in the RoundHouse. (50 points in March. 1958).

Unfortunately, the Missouri Valley went from the Valley of Death in those days to the Valley of Dearth in its present configuration. Actually, the AAC has more teams from the Valley of Death days of the MVC (Wichita State, Tulsa, Memphis and Cincinnati) than the current MVC has (Bradley and Drake).

Here is a very interesting but rather long Sports Illustrated article on that 1963 Championship game and the players and coaches involved.

IT WAS MORE THAN JUST A GAME

Don't forget Houston was MVC 1950-60.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Don't forget Houston was MVC 1950-60.
      And Bradley was dominant for a period in the 50s.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        I TOLD you he would make a kick ass 007 villain. Look for Cronin to go Hollywood after he gets run out of town for only making it to the Final Four three years in a row.
        Last edited by shockrah; April 10, 2019, 09:45 PM.
        Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanHoops 1h1 hour ago More
          • Copy link to Tweet
          • Embed Tweet

Jeff ******* Retweeted Southern Miss MBB
          Doc Sadler steps down at Southern Miss after a pretty good season. Look for him to wind up with Hoiberg at Nebraska in some capacity.

Comment

• shoxlax
            shoxlax commented
            Editing a comment
            Weird, wonder if GH will be in the mix?

• pinstripers
            pinstripers commented
            Editing a comment
            No, more likely HCGM

• Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanHoops 2m2 minutes ago More
          • Copy link to Tweet
          • Embed Tweet

South Carolina’s Frank Martin has emerged as a key target at Cincinnati, source told @Stadium.

Comment

• choida
            choida commented
            Editing a comment
            Smart man... Hopefully it doesn't effect our program in any way...

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            If it did, that would sure have an odd appearance. Martin leaves SC/SEC to take the UC/AAC job, GM leaves WSU/AAC to take the SC/SEC job.

• Frank Martin as an AAC coach would be a good thing.

Comment

• Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanHoops 43m43 minutes ago More
            • Copy link to Tweet
            • Embed Tweet

Arizona State and Bobby Hurley have agreed to a new five-year deal, source told @stadium. Hurley was pursued by St. John’s, but opted to remain in Tempe - where he will try and take the Sun Devils to the NCAA tourney for the third straight season.

Comment

• Martin would be OUTSTANDING at Cincy!

Comment

• I remember when Martin was at K-State, and there was this memorable moment

18s0xfm7cb5o1jpg.jpg

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Comment

• Rick Pifreakingtino. All tanned and rested. Really get some personalities and cheaters in the league. Looking forward to a bling showdown between GGG's watch and Pitino's cufflinks, throw in Mike Miller's rings for good measure.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• BOBB
                      BOBB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nick Van Exel pne of my all time favorite players, btw. Assuming he has decent bling.

• Here’s a list of all the college basketball coaching changes in 2019. Stadium is working to obtain a copy of the contract for every new head coach at a public school, so click on a name under…

update on coaching changes

Comment

• Oh Oh; Lakers job just opened up. I saw flights leaving Wichita headed to LA!

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                        Oh Oh; Lakers job just opened up. I saw flights leaving Wichita headed to LA!
                        Surely Bill Self would fly outta KC
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• shock
                          shock commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Depends- where is Mario Chalmers?
                      Working...
                      X